Societal Ramifications From Coronavirus...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Any societal changes you believe may be coming? Any social predictions, positive or negative, changes coming? I have a few.

How many women of childbearing ages, who have never experienced at home motherhood, want to stay home and raise their own children?

While some parents and children will want to get away from one another, insert jokes here, many families have bonded and there will be some depression related to the separation of going back to their old life. They have began a new life pattern and how will it go to go back?

Dogs will also experience separation anxiety because their pack had all been so close, they got so much time with the pack, they will have boredom stress. Cats will be so happy to see you go...

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm hoping most schools will realize that their "e-learning plans" were woefully underplanned for any sort of real duration (and yes, understood that there are kids who don't have internet access, etc and there should definitely be an alternate plan for those students but not completely dumb down the entire education system based on that. Figure out a plan for that -- not sure what it is, but plenty of money is spent on capital/building investments for schools -- some of that could be redirected to extend the school experience).

I think work from home options continue for many primarily digital workers as it will serve both business and employees well to do so in many ways (Yes, I understand that there are folks that make a living maintaining buildings, etc but that will evolve as well, and commercial buildings will not completely go away). I know there are segments of the population due to their occupation cannot do this, but there are many that were not allowed to before due to short sighted managers, companies, etc that certainly can. Hopefully even many roles will be adapted more for this type of thing.

I do agree on the dog thing. I think many will have separation anxiety for sure.

Hopefully folks become more focused on the important things and the slowdown of life in certain aspects is appreciated.

Businesses (big and small) that have served folks well through this will hopefully continue to gain loyalty from these customers. Businesses that have adapted to online, curbside, delivery etc will hopefully continue to evolve and do well in the long run. Those that have not will likely not make it out of this.

It will be interesting to see if people start to customize and improve their homes more to take on additional facets of life in the wake of this, as homes become more of a place you live, work, attend school, etc.

Businesses will hopefully adapt supply chain strategies a bit, and become less dependent on single countries, areas, suppliers, etc and hopefully everyone now realizes a bit more about how China (govt, etc not Chinese people in general or those who have come over to this country) is not a friend by any means to the US or most of the world (politically, business wise, etc). Global economy is real, but that should cut both ways for China. There are other markets and competitors out there that we should begin to really try and cultivate and work with in ways that are more true partnerships.

Also need to figure out ways for gig economy workers to potentially have some protections and yet have those companies that employ contractor gig workers, to pay into those systems and level the playing field a bit for other companies. (I'm not for more regulation, govt overreach, but if the govt is going to end up protecting those workers anyway, how is it that the companies benefitting from these worker relationships are not paying into such systems as unemployment insurance, etc when times are good, while other companies they are undercutting have to do so.).

Be interesting to see if states, and other entities take a different outlook on reserve funds.

Last edited:

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    More businesses will allow more work from home. Hopefully people will not stand so close to me. I also think that over time, panic laws aside, a lot of people will forget some of the things the further we move from it. Other than having to cancel my vacation, this hasn't really been THAT far out of my normal. Hopefully a lesson everyone will learn is to try and be more prepared at home. Maybe not a prepper stretch, but a lot of people had been goimg to the store every day and only buying what they needed for right then.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    There will likely be an increase of people working from home. Things were already headed that way, but the virus gave it a pretty big push. Other than that, I really don't see any profound societal changes happening. America has a very short attention span.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    "The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea."
    , Nabokov

PS Don't stand so close to me

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    I agree with others on the whole shift to work from home. Even if its not a large portion of the workforce, im going to guess that a lot of businesses will discuss how to distance employees at least.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    There will be an increase to property taxes to pay for internet for all the children and special teachers/techies/ No one will lose their teaching job or admin positions. Voter fraud will go through the roof. They will add virtual sports in addition to the normal offerings

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think that we have not yet begun to see where this will go. But for sure, this will become the wild wild west.

And here we are, better buckle up...

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My wife decided she won't go back to work. She's hitting the exercise room every day and put batteries in the scale. I don't know what all this means. :rolleyes:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    More work from home
    More telemedicine

Demise of more of the retail brick and mortar
    Closing of many restaurants, breweries etc (I love them but we had quite a few in recent years and always a tough business)

Life will look a bit more like the 1950s for at least a while: more small gatherings and maybe even return to activities in small towns as more large gatherings are avoided

The effect on politics and US currency is most unpredictable. Without turning it to a political argument, I'll just say I think this is the inevitable pin prick of the big financial bubble. Markets, interest rates, wages, will go through significant pattern changes.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Someone made the point in another thread that Amazon is the Sears And Roebuck of the present. Was S&R reviled by small stores back then like Amazon today?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    More work from home
    More telemedicine

Demise of more of the retail brick and mortar
    Closing of many restaurants, breweries etc (I love them but we had quite a few in recent years and always a tough business)

Life will look a bit more like the 1950s for at least a while: more small gatherings and maybe even return to activities in small towns as more large gatherings are avoided

The effect on politics and US currency is most unpredictable. Without turning it to a political argument, I'll just say I think this is the inevitable pin prick of the big financial bubble. Markets, interest rates, wages, will go through significant pattern changes.
    You almost seem giddy about this. It IS NOT a good thing, but I guess since you seem to still be getting paid, you can pontificate?

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You almost seem giddy about this. It IS NOT a good thing, but I guess since you seem to still be getting paid, you can pontificate?

I didn't get that from the posts. Some of this is good. Why the heck do I need to see a doctor in person to get antibiotics for pinkeye? I can do the over the phone without infecting the office or hospital over the phone. I certainly do not need to sit in a common area waiting room to see the doc. I have long thought this was a data gathering exercise to get you when they could to find preexisting conditions...

Smart folks will keep it intimate with folks they trust and avoid large gatherings, including restaurants, for a while until the risk subsidies...

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    All of nothing for me.

as it turns out, I’ve been living like it’s covid 1999 for my entire life.

I work, I eat, I sleep, I buy guns, I shoot guns, I clean guns...rinse and repeat.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Not sure where you get the "giddy" from

I do think the telemedicine is a good thing. There were (previously) issues where a regular patient had to go into a doctor's office just to answer questions they could have answered over the phone.

other than that, I think they are just realities.

BTW, I'm running my business on the standard that I'm the last one to get paid. I rewrite my business plan basically every few days right now, because reality is changing that fast. It's not a picnic, but I"m not really shocked by either.

I will try to look for the positive and make the best of it. Maybe we'll gain some resilience from it also? I don't know. TBH I'm most concerned about those potential "political "changes that probably don't belong in this thread and in any case I find most unpredictable.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think as soon as things open back up it will be business as usual.
    Our society is made up of retards and mindless followers. Theyll do whatever their overlords tell them to do and thats going to be SPEND SPEND SPEND
    And if they are stupid and vote for Democrats they will be taxed into oblivian. We all will.
    This November it's so important to reelect the president and get a Republican majority in both houses. To literally save America

Top Bottom