• phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had a rough morning.

pWEnPXBh.jpg

If you look you'll notice a fence post on the ground parallel to the top of the drop off. 60 seconds before the photo was taken that pole was buried halfway in the ground. I put it there so my wife and daughter have an easier time backing up the ATV/Trailer to dump manure. This was probably the 30th trip I've made with a load of manure to dump it over the edge but this one went differently.

My front tires made contact with the post but instead of stopping against it, the pole rolled out of the ground and rotated my front wheel up and over with it. There wasn't enough ground on the far side of the pole to support the front tires so over she (and I) went. I flipped forward and the knob on the steering wheel tried to rip my left pectoral muscle off. Ass over tea kettle then I landed/slid down the corner of the front bucket. No cuts, no broken bones but my chest hurts a bit, my back hurts a lot and I've got a nice raised red streak running from my right shoulder blade down toward my tail bone ending in a very pretty bruise on my butt cheek (just short of the crack!).

I'm extremely lucky and extremely sore. I was able to pull the tractor back up with my truck with little effort and I got back on the tractor and spent the rest of the day alternating between it and the mower (with the suspension seat). This scenario won't play out again but I'll be wearing the seat belt any time I come close to this hilly corner of my property on the tractor. God and a few others were watching over me this morning and I'm very grateful.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dude! It would have been so much less painful to climb the pole to get Internet! Glad you’re ok, but I really didn’t mean you had to go do something silly for a new Green Acres story!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You learned a valuable lesson. No need to push the limits that far, though I'm sure that was not your intention.
    Belt is useful for keeping you planted in the seat. Don't know if you have fluid in the rear tires, but it is an asset with the front end loader. Without the fluid a bush hog or some other heavy implement on the back adds some balance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Glad you are mainly OK.

You learned a valuable lesson. No need to push the limits that far, though I'm sure that was not your intention.
    Belt is useful for keeping you planted in the seat. Don't know if you have fluid in the rear tires, but it is an asset with the front end loader. Without the fluid a bush hog or some other heavy implement on the back adds some balance.

Good point. Does that mean one of us gets to write YOU a ticket for not wearing your seat belt? Or do we chalk this one up to "time served", more or less? :):

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Glad that worked out. Got in a tough bind with a similar tractor and loader pushing on trees we were felling. Had a real scary SHTF moment where visions of a smashed tractor were running through my head, let alone a smashed me. Some time, chains, and comealong saved the day.

How is the tractor, you will heal! Just joking.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wowza!! Glad you're okay phylo! Man, I thought I had a bad morning yesterday because I broke my favorite coffee mug. That puts things in perspective!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Wow!! Glad you are healing.

Our property is steep in a lot os places. Clearing a trail up to the deerstand one year on my John Deere 5205, I ran over a sapling and bent it to the ground. It sprang back up so when I backed up it hit me square in the back. By luck it I slid to the side and only got a welt on my back. Could have impaled me.

Be careful.

Don

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You are being watched over my friend! So good to still have you around!

These things can bite.

First rule of farming: the newer the tractor, the more likely an accident.

Second rule of farming: keep the shinny side up...

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Had a rough morning.

pWEnPXBh.jpg

If you look you'll notice a fence post on the ground parallel to the top of the drop off. 60 seconds before the photo was taken that pole was buried halfway in the ground. I put it there so my wife and daughter have an easier time backing up the ATV/Trailer to dump manure. This was probably the 30th trip I've made with a load of manure to dump it over the edge but this one went differently.

My front tires made contact with the post but instead of stopping against it, the pole rolled out of the ground and rotated my front wheel up and over with it. There wasn't enough ground on the far side of the pole to support the front tires so over she (and I) went. I flipped forward and the knob on the steering wheel tried to rip my left pectoral muscle off. Ass over tea kettle then I landed/slid down the corner of the front bucket. No cuts, no broken bones but my chest hurts a bit, my back hurts a lot and I've got a nice raised red streak running from my right shoulder blade down toward my tail bone ending in a very pretty bruise on my butt cheek (just short of the crack!).

I'm extremely lucky and extremely sore. I was able to pull the tractor back up with my truck with little effort and I got back on the tractor and spent the rest of the day alternating between it and the mower (with the suspension seat). This scenario won't play out again but I'll be wearing the seat belt any time I come close to this hilly corner of my property on the tractor. God and a few others were watching over me this morning and I'm very grateful.

Just Another DAY in the LIFE of a FARMER :ugh:

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Here's another that's glad you are OK!

Also glad to see you don't have the ROPS bar tilted down, and that you didn't have to see if it really works or not.

Top Bottom