• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So I have a new granddaughter in Florida I have not seen since she was born at the beginning of March. We were supposed to fly down March 24th before the Governors started closing up their states. We thought about driving but it was beginning to sound like we may get trapped in some state mid way.

So our revised travel plans are to drive to Florida May 12th and drive home May 17th. Plan is to hang out at my son's house and hold the grandbaby for a few days. No sight seeing or much activity outside their apartment. Watching the news I am feeling pretty confident I can get there and back home without issues. Anyone see any issues or have any cautions for a trip to Florida?

Since this is a gun forum below is the cheat sheet I use when driving through other states. I usually read the details but print a quick reference I can glance at when I cross state lines. No need for comment here as I will double check details before I leave.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

INDIANA
    Must Inform Officer by Law: NO
    Permits Honored: IN
    Places Off-Limits: Schools, etc...
    Rest Areas: YES
    No Gun Signs - Force of Law: NO
    Open Carry: YES
    Applebees/Bar: YES

OHIO
    Must Inform Officer by Law: YES
    No Gun Signs - Force of Law: YES
    NO Drinking in a real bar

KENTUCKY

TENNESSEE
    Rest Areas: YES (unless posted)
    No Gun Signs - Force of Law: YES

GEORGIA

FLORIDA
    Open Carry: NO
    Applebees/Bar: YES (Bar NO)

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A couple weeks ago, people were leaving New York and going to Florida. Florida was restricting people coming in. I don't know what the present climate is today.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    A couple weeks ago, people were leaving New York and going to Florida. Florida was restricting people coming in. I don't know what the present climate is today.

I know this is probably common knowledge, but how did Florida prevent out of state travelers from entering the state ? Airport, highway, train travelers stopped and asked for “papers ?”

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I know this is probably common knowledge, but how did Florida prevent out of state travelers from entering the state ? Airport, highway, train travelers stopped and asked for “papers ?”

It was on the news. State police road block. Checking plates I think.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Will check with my son before leaving on how Florida is treating out of staters.

Pretty sure border control is over so I don’t have to sneak across the border like an [STRIKE]illegal alien [/STRIKE]undocumented worker.

Maybe my wife can wear a low cut top to distract the cop. Keeping with the INGO color theme imagine my wife is in purple.

49344f44a86a2cdebc37086f238c5cdc.jpg

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The biggest thing is hitting Atlanta at the right time. I make this drive twice a year, I know it well. I leave in the early morning and hit Atlanta around 5:30 or so. I stay the night on the north side of Atlanta then in the truck by 6:00am. If you are going through Atlanta any later than 6:30am plan on sitting in traffic for a long time. I know people will time it to go through in the middle of the night, not me. I am not into driving straight through anymore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The biggest thing is hitting Atlanta at the right time. I make this drive twice a year, I know it well. I leave in the early morning and hit Atlanta around 5:30 or so. I stay the night on the north side of Atlanta then in the truck by 6:00am. If you are going through Atlanta any later than 6:30am plan on sitting in traffic for a long time. I know people will time it to go through in the middle of the night, not me. I am not into driving straight through anymore.

Atlanta is the absolute worst part of that journey.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Last time I drove through Georgia cops had people pulled over everywhere so I wouldn't recommend speeding. In fact last time I was in Georgia I flew, as the plane was landing first thing I saw was someone pulled over.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    We are in our motor home when we go but I now go down I-65 Through Birmingham then 231 Through Dothan AL. Adds around 60 miles but well worth it to me to avoid Atlanta and Chattanooga, less traffic with good four lane roads. Jim.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Maybe I reveal too much about my prostrate, but my first concern would be whether the rest areas are going to be open or not?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We are in our motor home when we go but I now go down I-65 Through Birmingham then 231 Through Dothan AL. Adds around 60 miles but well worth it to me to avoid Atlanta and Chattanooga, less traffic with good four lane roads. Jim.

This is a great route! Our destination is usually Fort Walton Beach although coming back we headed over to Pensacola and then up to 65, a little further to drive but Interstate sooner and a little quicker as a result.

Maybe I reveal too much about my prostrate, but my first concern would be whether the rest areas are going to be open or not?

Not really that many rest areas so fuhgetaboutit!:runaway:

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Used to take 75 all the way when the grandson lived in Sarasota and Atlanta was the worst part. When Georgia was shut down there were some Atlanta videos showing very little traffic there; someone from the area might be able to comment on how bad it is now that they’ve started to open up. Might still be less packed relative to historical norms even by the middle of May.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

I am liking this detour around Atlanta. Will need to do some research and of course find some paper maps.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I make the trip from Indy to SW FL 5 or 6x per year by car. I have never taken the route through Dothan and have always gone through ATL. If you have two or more people in the car (and I almost always do) get and stay in the HOV lane like your life depends on it.

I would also see about getting a Peach Pass for the newly opened express lanes. May be able to order online. And I would highly recommend. With one you will get one to use either the express entering the city or one or the exiting the city, depending on time of day. Surprisingly they are almost empty whenever I have been on them and traffic goes 80-85mph.

So our usual trip has been either 74 to 75 in Cincy, Knoxville, Chattanooga, ATL etc., or L'ville, Nashville, ATL etc.

I go to Marco Island which is almost in Cuba. If we split it into two days we try to make it to Macon, GA or even further south like Cordele or Valdosta if we left early enough. Mrs ATM doesn't usually want to get up and go at 4am like I do.

The last two times I drove it straight through. Left about 4am and got in around 9pm. Three stops for gas/bath/food and that's it. 1179 miles. I did the last one in Mid March when everything was shut. Hit ATL going north at about 1:30pm in a pouring rain. Never slowed below 55mph and then only because their roadways drain so poorly. The entire trip was ghostly empty. Going through KY was weird. It was late afternoon/evening and almost no one was on the road. Same in So GA.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Will check with my son before leaving on how Florida is treating out of staters.

I talked today with a friend who is a firefighter/ EMT in the Orlando area. He indicated that the state is a lot more focused on people coming in on I-95 than on I-75.

Top Bottom