• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My father, a WW II veteran, passed away several years ago. He requested a placque noting his military service be placed on the headstone, an example of which I am showing in the attach photo.

Guilt continues to plague me because I haven’t done this. Looking for suggestions where I can get something like this made.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 7F67D28A-022F-4B38-8586-BE9AFDF6B381.jpg
      7F67D28A-022F-4B38-8586-BE9AFDF6B381.jpg
      119.8 KB · Views: 64

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Dad’s was arranged through the funeral home. I would contact a local funeral home about the process, maybe a grave marker company directly.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Funeral home would be the best bet. As consistent as these markers are across the country, I’d say the national cemetery administration under the department of Veterans Affairs provides them. I know they are at Crownhill cemetery If you have to contact them yourself.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My father, a WW II veteran, passed away several years ago. He requested a placque noting his military service be placed on the headstone, an example of which I am showing in the attach photo.

Guilt continues to plague me because I haven’t done this. Looking for suggestions where I can get something like this made.

Thanks in advance

The plaque is free....contact your funeral home and they can help with the paper work. I know for my stepdad I needed his DD-214 or a copy of it. The plaque was free...the cemetery charged us to install it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    As BBI and Pistolbob noted, you can get the marker for free from the VA. I imagine the funeral home can help with this, but if not check with one of your local veterans organizations, they often have someone who knows the ins and outs of veterans benefits.

Also keep in mind that if it ever gets damaged, it can be replaced for free. We found my father's marker had one corner gouged apparently by a mower, and we were able to get it replaced by the VA. Keep your Dad's records (DD-214 or equivalent) handy.

Also they can be purchased commercially, again check with the funeral home.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My Dad’s was arranged through the funeral home. I would contact a local funeral home about the process, maybe a grave marker company directly.

^^^This^^^

When my father passed away the funeral home arranged for this and actually put it in place. I believe they worked with either the American Legion or VFW. IIRC it was free as well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think you maybe able to deal directly with the source if you contact Wilbert Burial Vaults in Indy.
    They maybe able to give you some great options without dealing with a funeral home that will likely want their cut of the cost

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    PM me. I will help you honor your Dad's service. I'll need his DD-214 and your signature as NOK. The county of his residence at the time of his death will pay for the installation. There is normally a time limit to apply for this but some are more lenient than others. Regardless, this is easy to accomplish. Current turnaround time from application to receipt of his marker is 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom