• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Good morning

A few years ago, I dabbled in woodworking. Nothing fancy or advanced, just simple items as a hobby.

Having said that - I need some guidance:

If using dimensional lumber for building, is it best to purchase 2x6s to then rip down and get a better board, rather than trying to find decent 2x4 or 2x3s (not warped, Bowes, etc.)?

I do have a table saw. I am looking into making some simple patio furniture, and instead of just using 2x4s off the rack, I’m curious if the extra effort and cost is worth ripping down 2x6s.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Will be more expensive since 2x6 typically costs a little more per BF than smaller sizes, plus 2x6 can also be bowed or twisted as well (sometimes exacerbated after cutting - oops). What really helps with what you’re trying to do is a jointer so you can create a flat face and flat edge on a less than perfect board before cutting it to size on the tablesaw, but that’s significant $, unfortunately.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Will be more expensive since 2x6 typically costs a little more per BF than smaller sizes, plus 2x6 can also be bowed or twisted as well (sometimes exacerbated after cutting - oops). What really helps with what you’re trying to do is a jointer so you can create a flat face and flat edge on a less than perfect board before cutting it to size on the tablesaw, but that’s significant $, unfortunately.

Thank you for the reply. Yes - milling lumber with a jointer and planer would be ideal, but not an option for this project.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You can inspect all the lumber you purchase before you purchase it. I think there's furniture-grade lumber available, too - vs. construction-grade. But I'm a dumdum so I don't know for sure.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Keep in mind construction lumber has a higher moisture content than furniture grade materials. Construction lumber is likely to shrink in width over time.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I would pick through and look for the best lumber you can find before ripping 2x6's down. Try to avoid big stores like Home Depot and Lowes, smaller construction supply companies with lumber yards usually have better lumber

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Even after ripping boards down, I’ve had them bow and twist. I try to pick out what I need with the straightest grain possible. Seems like so many of the boards you’ll pull off the pile look like they were rip cut out of a gnarled log.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Can you get by with 1x lumber? I would be using 1x3 or 1x4 Popular if I could. Much stronger and more stable than pine. I would also look for a specialty supplier rather than HD, Menards, etc.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Is this patio furniture going to be exposed to the elements? If so, species becomes important.

What type of patio furniture? I may be able to help being a decent woodworker that continues to learn as I race towards my 7th decade of life.:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I built bunk beds for my girls using 2x8s and 2x6s with the rounded off edges ripped off. They turned out great and can support, roughly, those obese minibike riding twins.

twins.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If gonna be patio furniture, you could also use composite decking material.

True.

Even if you find some straight studs, they might not stay that way.
    Now, if it's patio furniture, 2x4 cedar would probably stay straight - it's usually dry unlike construction lumber in the store. But, if you absolutely need something 2" thick, then consider gluing two 1" pieces together.

It's a lot of money and work to rip 2x6 into 2x4... there's not a big upside there, either.
    FWIW, I try to avoid table saws when possible.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If I was gonna build patio furniture that I expected to have for a while, I'd look for some Cypress from a specialty lumber yard. Your time and effort should be forced to last a while.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built bunk beds for my girls using 2x8s and 2x6s with the rounded off edges ripped off. They turned out great and can support, roughly, those obese minibike riding twins.

twins.jpg

Some of the ugliest daughters I've ever seen.
    ​My condolences.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thank you for all of the input.

It is outdoor, and the idea is to have some budget friendly options to play around with before sinking several grand input all new store bought furniture.

Anyone have any plans or preferred sites for plans like this?

I realize that a finish will be important to try to seal, since I don’t plan to use cedar or something better.

I am thinking 2x material as a majority of the plans online I’m seeing are 2x material.

In addition to trying to rip down 2x6s for getting better boards, I also thought ripping off the rounded edges may make for a cleaner finished product.

I realistically only have access to a Menards.

Top Bottom