• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badapples

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Jennings County
    The family is thinking about getting an above ground pool. Any recommendations on where to get one? Oval vs Round? Want something that is fairly solid and will last several years. Don't want to pay for an inground and want to be able to remove it when my daughter gets older. Thanks in advance on any advice.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    This sounds bad... and I know there will be those who comment... but my experience with backyard pools is that depth is more important that diameter. If you are wanting to swim "laps" then an oval is helpful, but no matter what you are always turning. For backyard splashing and cooling off there isn't much difference. We purchased a generic above ground from Meijer 3-4 years ago. The liner has been OK, but the pumps provided w/ the box store pools don't move enough water, so plan on upgrading that.

-Rick

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Of the commercial models I like a 24' best. It's big enough for a pool party, but small enough to not drain your pocketbook in chemical cost. The 1/2 hp Hayward pumps work fine,. But pumps are like horsepower. If you don't mind spending a little extra for another one, you can really get a round pool spinning. That lets the skimmer work more efficiently, and cuts your turnover time way down.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We bought a 16' round Intex from Walmart several years ago. I bet it lasted us six years or so, well worth the $400.00 we paid. We drained it every fall but left it standing over the winter. Took it down to buy something larger.

In in-laws in Fishers have 40K in their in ground pool and patio. . . . no thanks.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    We had a 24' diameter pool put up a few years ago. It's round and 52" deep. We chose round because it circulated better and the skimmer performs better than an oval pool. We got it from American sales in Merrillville.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The family is thinking about getting an above ground pool. Any recommendations on where to get one? Oval vs Round? Want something that is fairly solid and will last several years. Don't want to pay for an inground and want to be able to remove it when my daughter gets older. Thanks in advance on any advice.

Have been told that ground work is the key to longevity with the above ground pools.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The walls are thicker on the ones without the metal sides, but the bottom is thin on all of them. If a dog gets in it, expect about 50 puncture holes. Maybe a pad on the inside would be a good idea.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    We have a pool that we drain every fall and take down. Then put it back up in late spring and have it filled. Cost is about $150 for each fill. I prepped the ground with a paver circle and leveled 4” of sand for the pool to sit on. The guy who has filled our pool for several years has said he sees all kinds of wacky set ups from people. Sites 2’ or more out of level.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The best thing I ever got for my above ground pool was a high quality pump / sand filter. That made such a HUGE difference that the pool went from work to fun.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . Have been told that ground work is the key to longevity with the above ground pools.

Dudes! You haven't LIVED until you sell an old pool to a buddy, and give him the 1 inch or less levelling lecture, he ignores you, and you get to BE THERE when it all goes downhill! LOL. I'd have given my left nut if there'd been someone playing tennis across the street in the park. It was epic!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Dudes! You haven't LIVED until you sell an old pool to a buddy, and give him the 1 inch or less levelling lecture, he ignores you, and you get to BE THERE when it all goes downhill! LOL. I'd have given my left nut if there'd been someone playing tennis across the street in the park. It was epic!

Did you sell it to my neighbor!?! They put in an eyesore a couple years ago. Wish the trees I planted would grow faster. Especially the cottonwood. It wouldn't be so bad if the neighbor ladies ass didn't look like cottage cheese.

Top Bottom