Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Above Ground Pool

The family is thinking about getting an above ground pool. Any recommendations on where to get one? Oval vs Round? Want something that is fairly solid and will last several years. Don't want to pay for an inground and want to be able to remove it when my daughter gets older. Thanks in advance on any advice.

User Info Menu

We bought a 15-footer on clearance in the fall at Menards maybe 3 years ago? Still going strong, we're set to put it up if the stupid weather will cooperate.

https://www.menards.com/main/health-...52-c-10137.htm

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

SIL picked up an 18ft X 5 deep at Wally last year.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Plinker

User Info Menu

This sounds bad... and I know there will be those who comment... but my experience with backyard pools is that depth is more important that diameter. If you are wanting to swim "laps" then an oval is helpful, but no matter what you are always turning. For backyard splashing and cooling off there isn't much difference. We purchased a generic above ground from Meijer 3-4 years ago. The liner has been OK, but the pumps provided w/ the box store pools don't move enough water, so plan on upgrading that.

-Rick

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Of the commercial models I like a 24' best. It's big enough for a pool party, but small enough to not drain your pocketbook in chemical cost. The 1/2 hp Hayward pumps work fine,. But pumps are like horsepower. If you don't mind spending a little extra for another one, you can really get a round pool spinning. That lets the skimmer work more efficiently, and cuts your turnover time way down.
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

User Info Menu

We bought a 16' round Intex from Walmart several years ago. I bet it lasted us six years or so, well worth the $400.00 we paid. We drained it every fall but left it standing over the winter. Took it down to buy something larger.

In in-laws in Fishers have 40K in their in ground pool and patio. . . . no thanks.

User Info Menu

We had a 24' diameter pool put up a few years ago. It's round and 52" deep. We chose round because it circulated better and the skimmer performs better than an oval pool. We got it from American sales in Merrillville.
    Someday, I hope to be as good of a person as my dog thinks I am

wcd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by badapples View Post
    The family is thinking about getting an above ground pool. Any recommendations on where to get one? Oval vs Round? Want something that is fairly solid and will last several years. Don't want to pay for an inground and want to be able to remove it when my daughter gets older. Thanks in advance on any advice.
    Have been told that ground work is the key to longevity with the above ground pools.

User Info Menu

The walls are thicker on the ones without the metal sides, but the bottom is thin on all of them. If a dog gets in it, expect about 50 puncture holes. Maybe a pad on the inside would be a good idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    Have been told that ground work is the key to longevity with the above ground pools.

This right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast