• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Looking to get a gift of a tablet. I am presuming that Ipads share many of the same formats as an I phone? That being said I would guess an Android tablet would be similar to a Galaxy Phone?

Would it be a safe guess if a person does not like the I phone then an I pad might not be the best choice?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Correct. I have only ever had Android phones and have had Android tablets in the past. No issues using either one.

Now my daughter's school issued iPad on the other hand :xmad:.

I have also used iMacs in both PC and laptop. They were OK, but I still prefer a Windows device. I just don't get this perception that Apple has of being intuitive and easy to use. I don't find them intuitive at all. The iPad makes no sense to me. It's a real pain in the neck to do anything on it.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Correct. I have only ever had Android phones and have had Android tablets in the past. No issues using either one.

I have also used iMacs in both PC and laptop. They were OK, but I still prefer a Windows device. I just don't this perception that Apple has of being intuitive and easy to use. I don't find them intuitive at all. The iPad makes no sense to me. It's a real pain in the neck to do anything on it.

What? You are not allowed to do anything on an iPad. LOL. They are locked down. Have had mine 7 years and still working but getting very slow. PC and iPad work well together for me.

My big issue with the android system is all the tracking Google does, not that Apple doesn't, but big G is the worst and they allow more from their venders as I have read.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Depends WHAT you want to do with it ...

Each platform has Pros & Cons -- I can do things in Windows that I cannot (easily) do on my Macbook ... but for Video Editing my Macbook is much better ... but for stability I run a Linux machine for my PLEX media server

There is plenty of information on HOW for each choice

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Apple will never get a dime of my money. Android is the only way for me. Microsoft never could get mobility.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Looking to get a gift of a tablet. I am presuming that Ipads share many of the same formats as an I phone? That being said I would guess an Android tablet would be similar to a Galaxy Phone?

Would it be a safe guess if a person does not like the I phone then an I pad might not be the best choice?

Generally folks like the ecosystem they are in. Familiarity and app purchases, etc carry over.

For laptop, I'm all PC. For phone, I use an iPhone (just the last 2 phones, before that I used different smart phones due to job requirements) and if I used a tablet, I'd probably go iPad (I don't have a tablet currently).

My wife on the other hand has been Android for a very long time, specifically Samsung Galaxy for the last several iterations, and she just this year a Samsung Galaxy tablet and loves it.

So, I'd say if someone is an iPhone user, get them an iPad. If they are an Android user get them an Android tablet (and definitely if they are a Samsung Galaxy user, go with the Galaxy tablet)

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Microsoft never could get mobility.

Yep, lots of various directions on that one over the years, and by the time MS kind of got things right with Windows Phone 7 and beyond, it was too late to get a foothold as a platform.

Now Microsoft is on all the mobile devices, etc with Office, and other apps and doesn't have to manufacture that screen. Not a bad move necessarily.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

Yes, that is correct.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    If it just to play with, it probably doesn't matter much. If they are going to use it for something specific, try to find out what is best for them. Some programs/apps run best on certain formats. I am in aviation an apple is the leader in my field.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm the exact opposite. I've always had Android based phones and have totally felt that an iPhone very much trapped you into what you could do with it. Of course, up until my current phone, I've always rooted (jail broke in Apple terms) the phone, primarily to get hotspot capability. I've also had about 4 android tablets, all of which frustrated the heck out of me and I gave up on them within 6 months of owning them as they were slow and just froze often. Most of them were low end units, but I didn't want to spend $600 on a tablet for a high end galaxy one.

I wanted a tablet for media consumption, basic web browsing, and connecting to my corporate email and other tools. I finally swallowed my pride and purchased an iPad and have never looked back. I still don't think I would care for an iPhone, but I'm currently happy in the mixed environment. As radar says earlier, it comes down to what you want to do with the tablet.

--Rick

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I have also used iMacs in both PC and laptop. They were OK, but I still prefer a Windows device. I just don't this perception that Apple has of being intuitive and easy to use. I don't find them intuitive at all. The iPad makes no sense to me. It's a real pain in the neck to do anything on it.

After much trial and even more error I discovered that Apple products are indeed very intuitive... you just need to learn to do the complete opposite of what you think you should do. If that doesn't work, just keep working your way down the list of actions least likely to produce the desired result and you should figure it out in short order.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What? You are not allowed to do anything on an iPad. LOL. They are locked down. Have had mine 7 years and still working but getting very slow. PC and iPad work well together for me.

My big issue with the android system is all the tracking Google does, not that Apple doesn't, but big G is the worst and they allow more from their venders as I have read.

Trade offs, I guess. Google give you more freedom - which I prefer over safety. ;)

Apple is just as evil as Google, and if you're and app designer, Apple is evil incarnate. I still shudder thinking back on the time I worked with iPod integration.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm the exact opposite. I've always had Android based phones and have totally felt that an iPhone very much trapped you into what you could do with it. Of course, up until my current phone, I've always rooted (jail broke in Apple terms) the phone, primarily to get hotspot capability. I've also had about 4 android tablets, all of which frustrated the heck out of me and I gave up on them within 6 months of owning them as they were slow and just froze often. Most of them were low end units, but I didn't want to spend $600 on a tablet for a high end galaxy one.

I wanted a tablet for media consumption, basic web browsing, and connecting to my corporate email and other tools. I finally swallowed my pride and purchased an iPad and have never looked back. I still don't think I would care for an iPhone, but I'm currently happy in the mixed environment. As radar says earlier, it comes down to what you want to do with the tablet.

--Rick

From what I see, with Android, don't go low end.

My wife's Galaxy Tab A 10.1 inch screen was like $250 or so plus tax I think. Not overly expensive, but still a Samsung and it seems to perform well for her (I don't get called over every 10 minutes to troubleshoot it, so it must be working for her).

Last edited:

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Unless they have specifically asked for an opposite brand, stick with the same one if only because apple store and google store apps rarely crossover, and certain ones simply aren't available cross-platform at all. People usually like to share data across devices, so unless they've checked that their apps will do that cross-brand that may not be possible.

Top Bottom