• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    75 years ago today the Third Reich formally threw in the towel.

[video=youtube;s8yO_TseTxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8yO_TseTxo[/video]Although officially the Brits were still helping the US fight the Japanese, for all practical purposes the war was over for them.
    [video=youtube;PpDplSS2QoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpDplSS2QoA[/video]Key quote from a Brtiish veteran recalling having just captured a village when informed that the Nazi government had surrendered: "Somebody handed me a bottle of brandy, I saw very little of the rest of VE day..." :D

Among the lesser military events occurring on 08 May, 38 years ago today I graduated from college and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant. 38 years!

(I have no idea what's up with the big gaps after the videos,).

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Almost exactly one year ago I had the chance to visit a museum that is located inside the building where the German surrender took place. Located at what was then SHAEF HQ in Reims, France, the room where it happened has been kept exactly the way it was that day. There was another ceremony later in Berlin than included the Russians, but it was the surrender that took place here that led to VE Day on the following day.

0B1cta9.jpg

LHyME3J.jpg

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Dang, I have been to Reims several times...to drink champagne. I wish I had thought about the surrender being there and looked up that building.

I was the other way around... I went there for the military history and discovered it was also known for champagne!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    75 years ago today the Third Reich formally threw in the towel.

[video=youtube;s8yO_TseTxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8yO_TseTxo[/video]Although officially the Brits were still helping the US fight the Japanese, for all practical purposes the war was over for them.
    [video=youtube;PpDplSS2QoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpDplSS2QoA[/video]Key quote from a Brtiish veteran recalling having just captured a village when informed that the Nazi government had surrendered: "Somebody handed me a bottle of brandy, I saw very little of the rest of VE day..." :D

Among the lesser military events occurring on 08 May, 38 years ago today I graduated from college and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant. 38 years!

(I have no idea what's up with the big gaps after the videos,).
    But Donald Trump did NOTHING to help facilitate the end of the war.
    ​For that matter, neither did George W. Bush.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Almost exactly one year ago I had the chance to visit a museum that is located inside the building where the German surrender took place. Located at what was then SHAEF HQ in Reims, France, the room where it happened has been kept exactly the way it was that day. There was another ceremony later in Berlin than included the Russians, but it was the surrender that took place here that led to VE Day on the following day.

0B1cta9.jpg

LHyME3J.jpg

I need to go there. :patriot:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    God Bless the men and women of the United States Armed Forces in WWII who by their sacrifices made VE Day possible. Definitely, the Greatest Generation, bar none! Peace. Out.

Top Bottom