Not open for further replies.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As late as two weeks ago now, Menards has decided to jump on the idiocy band wagon and mandate that all customers entering the store wear face masks.
    I've had email conversations with customer service regarding this inane restriction, but evidently they are watching either CNN or PMSDNC.

I have shopped at Menards exclusively for my business needs for the past 19 years, but I'm about at the end of my patience.
    I've explained the business they are losing, which admittedly will not alter their bottom line, but to no avail.

Not one other store in Lafayette, to my knowledge, has similar restrictions regarding their customers.
    The CDC's website has contradictory information regarding the wearing of face masks.

I hate Home Depot and Lowes, but it looks like they may be my only other options.
    I will not cower to fearmongering, and refuse to play these stupid games.

To all that would label me as "selfish" I say, Your fears don't trump my rights.
    :ranton:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Went to menards 8 days ago to buy a bunch of lumber for building a base and some benches for a greenhouse. Learned of the mask requirement then. I left and will not go back. Lowes got my $500 & as it turns out that saved me a little bit of money and didn't have to wait on a rebate either. The no kids under 16 rule is another BS rule as well. What's a single parent suppose to do. That was 2 strikes and I'm not giving them a 3rd strike.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    We went to buy some plants at Menard's a week ago. "No mask, no can enter." We went to Lowe's and bot what we wanted. Unfortunately, a couple of days later Lowe's adopted the same policy. I will go to other stores any time I can get what I want there. I think if I am going to these places I will OC. See how they like masked men entering carrying guns....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We went to buy some plants at Menard's a week ago. "No mask, no can enter." We went to Lowe's and bot what we wanted. Unfortunately, a couple of days later Lowe's adopted the same policy. I will go to other stores any time I can get what I want there. I think if I am going to these places I will OC. See how they like masked men entering carrying guns....

Much as I hate to admit it, I visited my local Lowes in Lafayette just two days ago and they had no such policy in place.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Frankly, if I owned a business I would require masks just as a CYA to avoid future lawsuits from anyone that gets sick. Yes, it seems like they would probably have a hard time proving they got sick in my store due to my failure to require masks, but I wouldn't want to be the deepest pockets available with any remotely plausible culpability.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    K01654a_d.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Frankly, if I owned a business I would require masks just as a CYA to avoid future lawsuits from anyone that gets sick. Yes, it seems like they would probably have a hard time proving they got sick in my store due to my failure to require masks, but I wouldn't want to be the deepest pockets available with any remotely plausible culpability.

Your opinion, and you're entitled to it.
    I wish everyone as disgusted with this policy as I am would email Menards customer service to voice their displeasure. guest@menard-inc.com

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    50% of the employees in the stores I've been in (not Menards) are wearing the mask pulled down around their neck like a kerchief or over their mouth but not their nose. The whole mask requirement has become more of a PR issue. The store ads say they require employees to wear a mask just to reassure nervous shoppers that it is safe to come in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Im sure I am going to regret this,
    but without anyone having a stroke can someone explain to me why one wouldn't wear a mask?
    Is their evidence suggesting a negative side to wearing a mask?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Having not been out to any of the places above, I just want to ask: Are they supplying free masks at the doors?

If they're not, then they aren't putting any skin in the game... The way I figure it, if a place is going to say "no guns/no weapons/etc" then they'd better be assuming the obligation of protecting everyone inside (obviously most do NOT have armed guards, so I typically ignore their restrictions)--if a business is going to say no mask=no admission for MY safety, then they'd better be ready to supply that safety.

My bet is that they hide behind the "no mask, no entry" thing without any effort to supply masks. I'm not buying into the mass hysteria about spreading/not spreading this virus... And I'm not visiting any stores that do. Not until I literally have nowhere else to go to avoid it.

Each and every one of these business should instead just put up signs saying "NO COVID 19 ALLOWED". That should give them their feel-good measure and we all know signs are the magic charm for complete protection!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    but without anyone having a stroke can someone explain to me why one wouldn't wear a mask?

How about because masks are not a panacea to prevent infection--it's been proven this virus survives on surfaces plenty long enough to transfer from person to person, and masks can't stop that vector. Add in that this is JUST ANOTHER VIRUS, and will spread through populations no matter what, and I have to ask: What are masks supposedly accomplishing? I mean, this isn't the bubonic plague that killed upwards of 50% of whole populations as it spread... Killed, not infected. Killed. If this virus was anywhere even close to that deadly, every possible measure that is currently now being done would certainly be appropriate. But it's not. Masks are basically just a feel-good "I'm doing something" kind of measure that makes people feel safe when they're not.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    They haven’t put any skin in it at all. Rather they have turned it into a profit opportunity and are charging a dollar for a surgical type mask!

I'm leaning towards mgderf and trying to avoid them. However, I’m helping a friend tile his bathroom and he chose tile from Menards.. so I have to stop in...

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

Unless everyone in the store is wearing a N95 mask then it isn't as effective as the media's graphics portray. Any mask that doesn't seal to the face allows air flow in and out of the sides of the mask with each breath. You are breathing the unrestricted air flow from the sides of the mask but people erroneously think that the mask is filtering the air due to the media's portrayal.
    The mask does catch spit/snot droplets if the wearer should sneeze or cough, so its got that going for it.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't want to get sick. I don't want you do get sick. I wear my mask in public not because I think the mask will keep me or you safe, but as a symbol to those around me that I'm aware of their fears and wish them no harm...the mask is just there to show that I understand the risks you fear, and I am willing to take modest precautions to signal my cooperation.

its not a big enough deal for me to make a big deal of it. I'm not mad at you for deciding to boycott them, you do you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom