• ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Background:
    We are looking at getting a dog. Wife is favoring a Rottweiler. She had German Shepherd/Rottweiler mixes growing up. I had Labradors and no experience with either of those breeds. I prefer the German Shepherd so we will probably end up with a mix.

Desired Traits:
    We are wanting a dog for guard duty around our property with 40 acres to roam but about 3 to protect.

We want them to be very protective of their pack. We have outdoor cats for mice and don't want those killed. We also need a dog that we can trust around chickens. I take 3 weeks off work to train a new puppy and a lot of that is spent socializing with cats, kittens, indoor cat and bird etc. In that aspect easier is nicer but proper training should work in either breed. Especially if the pup is selected properly.

Dog that gives a verbal warning when vehicles come up the drive, but won't bark at every squirrel that runs up a tree. Willing to attack if necessary.

We would also be taking the dog with us camping to state parks, walking, and running. I also have a spring loaded device to hook to a bicycle to run the dog that dampens their pull away from the bike that I have used with 100 lb dogs but I don't necessarily want one that bolts. That is usually handled by proper training but the innate behavior prior to training would be interesting to know.

Ease of Training:
    I train my dogs using the methods of some Orthodox Monks that works well, https://newskete.org/our-dogs. These include how to select the puppy out of the litter so that training is easier so I am not concerned about ease of training so much. That said, after initial training, I would probably want to send them to an "attack" school. One that would work with my training methods.

Personal Preferences:
    Below are some of the reasons we like each breed, mostly just from watching a few internet video comparisons and looking at AKC characteristics.

The reasons she prefers the Rottweiler over the Shepherd are less shedding, stronger bite, easy going, active, less barking.

I like the Shepherd because its faster, easier to train, prettier, more child friendly, is better able to be an indoor/outdoor dog (tolerates cold weather better), smarter, less health issues, longer lifespan.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I know :)

I take 3 weeks off work to train a new puppy and a lot of that is socializing with cats, kittens, indoor cat and bird etc. In that aspect easier is nicer but proper training should work in either breed. Especially if the pup is selected properly.

That is a big wish list, and a lot of it is dependent on the dog. I would steer you towards a male shepherd.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have had a rottweiler,German Shepherd,Lab,and an Australian Shepherd.

My rot was anti social. Any stranger it considered dangerous even children. I had to lock it in the bedroom when I had guests. It was ok around immediate family,but a difficult dog.

The German Shepherd was a great dog. She did well 99% of the time as far as training and obedience. When she failed she failed in huge ways. I was taking her and my Australian for a walk. I saw the porcupine first and told both of them to stop,and even gave a sit command. The Australian and German both saw it then. The Australian sat by my side the German took off and bite it. That Sunday night was spent getting quills out of the German. The German died of cancer last summer.

The lab was a great family dog for over 13 years. Dumb but a great dog.

My favorite dog in my entire life though is the Australian. Loyal,intelligent,and would to anything to protect a family member. Of the 4 she was by far the easiest to train. She wants to please you,and enjoys being given tasks. An example was telling her to get the Lab or German...she would block them and get them onto the porch. She is fantastic with kids and ok with strangers IF I speak to them. If she barks something is going on. It may be a delivery guy or deer standing in the driveway but random barking does not happen.
    She does great on our 40 acres of which roughly 4 she roams on. She even picks her own raspberries.

You can google Australian Shepherd saves owner and see some amazing stories. From fighting off an intruder,a 300lb bear,or leading a rancher to a woman who had a near fatal fall from a horse in the desert.

I can not say enough good things about our Australian. Even sheds less than the German did.

262927_289448017835447_238978070_n.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have had a rottweiler,German Shepherd,Lab,and an Australian Shepherd.

My rot was anti social. Any stranger it considered dangerous even children. I had to lock it in the bedroom when I had guests. It was ok around immediate family,but a difficult dog.

The German Shepherd was a great dog. She did well 99% of the time as far as training and obedience. When she failed she failed in huge ways. I was taking her and my Australian for a walk. I saw the porcupine first and told both of them to stop,and even gave a sit command. The Australian and German both saw it then. The Australian sat by my side the German took off and bite it. That Sunday night was spent getting quills out of the German. The German died of cancer last summer.

The lab was a great family dog for over 13 years. Dumb but a great dog.

My favorite dog in my entire life though is the Australian. Loyal,intelligent,and would to anything to protect a family member. Of the 4 she was by far the easiest to train. She wants to please you,and enjoys being given tasks. An example was telling her to get the Lab or German...she would block them and get them onto the porch. She is fantastic with kids and ok with strangers IF I speak to them. If she barks something is going on. It may be a delivery guy or deer standing in the driveway but random barking does not happen.
    She does great on our 40 acres of which roughly 4 she roams on. She even picks her own raspberries.

You can google Australian Shepherd saves owner and see some amazing stories. From fighting off an intruder,a 300lb bear,or leading a rancher to a woman who had a near fatal fall from a horse in the desert.

I can not say enough good things about our Australian. Even sheds less than the German did.

262927_289448017835447_238978070_n.jpg

I wanted to also mention she does great camping and around 4 wheelers and snowmobiles. She does not bark at a squirrel unless two are chasing each other,then she wants let out to join the chase. She has never attacked any other animal and might actually be capable of herding cats lol.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Agreed that it's a big list of tasks you're looking for the dog to do.

I'm not trying to question your training abilities, but even a master trainer is going to have a hard time if the dog isn't suited for it. Grading the pups is one of the most important components and here is where an expert can come in handy.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking into a professional.

https://www.protectiondogsales.com/

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I would want to find a protection trainer to work with but I have had good success with my dogs. By the time I finish with them, they will stay in a position for 30 minutes in the front yard while I am inside, if walking in town they will automatically sit at any cross walk. When walking them, they are never allowed to put their nose ahead of my knee even without a leash. They are exposed to loud noises, like gunfire, without moving out of position.

None of that is due to me but the training method of those monks. They are very effective. They go into a lot of detail on puppy selection and that is very important. I always take whistles, tennis balls, firecrackers with me when selecting a puppy. I also roll them on their backs and hold them to see how they react etc. along with several other toys and techniques. NEVER select a puppy on "oh its CUTE" :)

Agreed that it's a big list of tasks you're looking for the dog to do.

I'm not trying to question your training abilities, but even a master trainer is going to have a hard time if the dog isn't suited for it. Grading the pups is one of the most important components and here is where an expert can come in handy.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking into a professional.

https://www.protectiondogsales.com/

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have grown up with Rotts and GSD’s. I love both breeds, but will choose a Rott over a GSD every single time. Rotts are more laid back, very smart, and will gladly be a work dog or a lap dog. Or both if you want.

GSD’s are way more energetic, and tend to need to have a job to do, or they’ll become destructive. Which is both a good and bad thing.

Also, IME, a Rotty is more child friendly than a GSD.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    If you are open to a little different breed, look at the Cane Corso. (Italian Mastif) We have had good luck with GSDs, but our Corso is the absolute smartest dog we have ever had or worked with. Extremely loyal and loving, until it is time not to be. Her bite work is very powerful! Coexists with cats and other dogs quite well. They are a member of the family and love to travel with you.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am no dog expert, but I think there are good and bad examples of both breads. I think more depends on the breeding, and upbringing than folks realize. As of today, I have

12yr old rot
    2 year old rot
    18 month old rot
    12yr old lab/pit mix
    4 yr old GSD

I can honestly say, I wont own anything but rotties from now on. There is nothing at all wrong with the other's, but they just are not as smart, loyal as the rotties.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would want to find a protection trainer to work with but I have had good success with my dogs. By the time I finish with them, they will stay in a position for 30 minutes in the front yard while I am inside, if walking in town they will automatically sit at any cross walk. When walking them, they are never allowed to put their nose ahead of my knee even without a leash. They are exposed to loud noises, like gunfire, without moving out of position.

None of that is due to me but the training method of those monks. They are very effective. They go into a lot of detail on puppy selection and that is very important. I always take whistles, tennis balls, firecrackers with me when selecting a puppy. I also roll them on their backs and hold them to see how they react etc. along with several other toys and techniques. NEVER select a puppy on "oh its CUTE" :)

Our trainer was an obedience trainer. Family friend getting started.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would vote for security cameras and a driveway alert of some sort.

Me too, but each to their own.
    And I'd get a confidently friendly dog that alerts me when anybody comes around so I CAN DECIDE what force if any is needed.
    But is confidently friendly to my guests and doesn't scare kids.

All I know is everybody in my life I've ever known personally who got some aggressive dog that hates everybody but a handful of people and was supposed to "protect" them, only succeeded at threatening or biting people who were no threat at all, never actually defended them from anybody who was a threat, and ONLY succeeded at driving their friends away.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have limited experience actually owning either breed but I worked for AT&T and encountered a lot of both and while I feel rotts have a greater potential ****-your-pants factor, they're also easier to bribe.

Top Bottom