• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was wondering if anyone messed with Minox Cameras, commonly known as “Spy Cameras”. I have a few and just got them out the other day as was amazed at their size and function. I have:

Minox LX
    Minox C
    Minox EC
    Minox III

I have various chains, cases, and a light meter. I have a box of new film that states “Use before 1971”!!!!
    Anyway I was just curious if anyone else had some of these or knows anything about them.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Somewhere I have a Minox camera that my Dad obtained in the ... 1960s? I think. I remember it from when I was a kid, so he had by the late 60s anyway. I had not thought of it in years, can't put my finger on it, but I know it's around some place.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Are those the ittybitty cameras that they always showed in spy movies with the guy sneaking in somewhere and photographing documents?

Yup, they pull it out of a pocket and click a few shots and then off they go. They’re about the size of a disposable lighter.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I don't have a Minox, but your post made me look in the bottom of my camera bag for a Minolta 16 that I must have gotten in the very early 70's. It has the flash and flash bracket.
    414427381.jpg

414427384.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have an attachment that lets you use a flash cube, only us old guys will remember those, with one of the Minox. I have a book shelf full of all my old cameras and binoculars. I have some pretty good digital cameras and unfortunately all I ever seem to use anymore is this iPhone.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I not only remember flash cubes, but also the one-time use flash bulbs! :):

When I was a kid in HS in the early 70’s I was on the school news paper and yearbook staff. I used a Yashica Twin Lens camera and sometime used an attachable strobe light. I still remember the sound of that thing charging up and firing! It was so cool. I also used a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm. Not soon after the Minolta 101 dominated as the cool kids camera. I stuck with Pentax and eventually went to Canon and have used that brand ever since.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When I was a kid in HS in the early 70’s I was on the school news paper and yearbook staff. I used a Yashica Twin Lens camera and sometime used an attachable strobe light. I still remember the sound of that thing charging up and firing! It was so cool. I also used a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm. Not soon after the Minolta 101 dominated as the cool kids camera. I stuck with Pentax and eventually went to Canon and have used that brand ever since.

Did you get one of the new 'mirrorless' digitals yet?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Did you get one of the new 'mirrorless' digitals yet?
    My newest digital SLR is a few years old now so probably not. I got it out to get some shots of the Blue Angels from the roof of Methodist parking garage. It’s a Canon D60 with 75-300mm Lens.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Colt556, sorry for the threadjack, but I've got a Canon SX20 Powershot. Love the camera, but for some reason, it can no longer read my SD cards (even a brand new one). It thinks they're all locked (read-only). It had also started requiring me to set the date/time every time I powered it up. Got any recommendations for repair locally? I was thinking of Roberts but didn't now if there were others around Indy. I've been having to use my phone as my camera and I hate it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Colt556, sorry for the threadjack, but I've got a Canon SX20 Powershot. Love the camera, but for some reason, it can no longer read my SD cards (even a brand new one). It thinks they're all locked (read-only). It had also started requiring me to set the date/time every time I powered it up. Got any recommendations for repair locally? I was thinking of Roberts but didn't now if there were others around Indy. I've been having to use my phone as my camera and I hate it.

There used to be a place off of Arlington Ave but I don’t know if he’s still there. Here is a place in Avon but I don’t know anything about it. Unfortunately in this day of disposable everything a repair might cost as much as buying a new one.

CameraRepairs.com

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There used to be a place off of Arlington Ave but I don’t know if he’s still there. Here is a place in Avon but I don’t know anything about it. Unfortunately in this day of disposable everything a repair might cost as much as buying a new one.

CameraRepairs.com

Thanks for the link! And that's what I'm afraid of re the cost. And it wasn't a cheap (to me) camera! You know though, some of the most awesome pics I've ever taken (Australian surf among them - I have those mounted and framed) were taken with a little Olympus point-and-shoot (with zoom) 35mm. Of course 35mm isn't really much of an option anymore.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yeah, I’ve gotten some amazing pictures with just my iPhone! The best thing about digital is you can turn an average photo into a great photo using the computer or electronics. That’s much harder to do with film but the warmth and look achieved with old fashioned film can’t be beat.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I’ve gotten some amazing pictures with just my iPhone! The best thing about digital is you can turn an average photo into a great photo using the computer or electronics. That’s much harder to do with film but the warmth and look achieved with old fashioned film can’t be beat.

Back when WISH-TV had a thing on the weekends for "picture of the week", I actually won with this one. It was with a digital, but I forget what kind. A cheap one I think. Sunrise at Lake Monroe, Allen's Creek, October of 2004.

PqP8gbL.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Pretty nice picture. I need to get whatever set up is required to post pictures here. I have some stuff to sell too so I need to get on it. Too lazy I guess.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pretty nice picture. I need to get whatever set up is required to post pictures here. I have some stuff to sell too so I need to get on it. Too lazy I guess.

I use imgur. It's really easy to use. I think there's a tutorial on here for imgur too, that Big Tanker posted.

Top Bottom