• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I got a couple of new tires for my dump trailer. When guy installed them one did pretty good at sealing but one rim I have is rusted around bead. When he mounted that tire it leaked around bead, he broke it down..cleaned it and remounted...it still leaked. He then took it apart again and cleaned the bead, rotated tire and used that bead sealer stuff. Remounted and checked it and we had no leaks. Brought them home, installed on trailer and yesterday that sob was flat again! I really need that trailer this week and hate to waste time tomorrow messing with it.

I am debating on whether to try dismounting it myself and taking the wire brush on grinder to it or trying fix a flat green slime first? I don't mind grinding it, I just hate the thought of breaking that tire down with crowbars.

Thoughts or suggestions from you wise ones?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have not had good luck with slime with tire to rim issues. Id be inclined to clean the bead and then use some sort of sealant between the tire and rim before putting the bead back on. For a trailer if I was in a jam I would use some household caulking I had laying around. FWIW guys into offroading have been using caulking like that for decades.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Appreciate the responses. I think I will try finding a new rim. I use this to haul roofing...so 6000-8000 lb hauls are frequent.

Wonder where I can find a trailer rim? Probably no where on a Quarantine Sunday huh?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have not had good luck with slime with tire to rim issues. Id be inclined to clean the bead and then use some sort of sealant between the tire and rim before putting the bead back on. For a trailer if I was in a jam I would use some household caulking I had laying around. FWIW guys into offroading have been using caulking like that for decades.

I seen that on a show a while back. Was shocked how well that worked...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Appreciate the responses. I think I will try finding a new rim. I use this to haul roofing...so 6000-8000 lb hauls are frequent.

Wonder where I can find a trailer rim? Probably no where on a Quarantine Sunday huh?

check rural king, I know they have trailer tires both mounted and dismounted, they may have wheels as well.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence

Rural King or Farm & Fleet. Maybe Harbor Freight

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes you can turn a wheel on a lathe to get rid of the pits if it's not too far gone. This is usually done on chrome wheels when the chrome starts flaking on the bead.
    Everything else has been tried. I wouldn't trust the rim.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have found 15" tire/rim for $100 at Rural King and Big R. Usually when I needed a new tire, the rim was pretty rusty so I just paid the little extra to get the combo.

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma

Rural king Lowe’s probably tractor supply or possibly menards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    FYI Slime and other such sealants are only intended for sealing the tread face. I used it once for a side wall puncture but only to get me home and then to wherever I got the tire replaced the next day. I'd be too nervous to keep using it though.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    FYI Slime and other such sealants are only intended for sealing the tread face. I used it once for a side wall puncture but only to get me home and then to wherever I got the tire replaced the next day. I'd be too nervous to keep using it though.

This. Slime is a short term get-me-home and won't do squat for rim-tire leaks. Worked in a shop for several years and had to deal with the aftermath of people using that garbage. Doesn't work well, makes an awful mess, and has to be cleaned up before doing a REAL fix assuming the tire isn't trashed from driving on it flat.

Top Bottom