• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have a tohatsu outboard I didn't treat very well last two years. I left fuel in the line and put it in my garage at end of season. it would also occasionally speed itself up for no good reason.

last summer it needed decent choke to run and would still die. this spring it wouldn't fire up, but spraying sea foam in the cylinder would let it run but only on full choke, then it would die in 30s.

I pulled the carb and cleaned the jets. they were pretty dirty. got it back together and it isn't dying, but it is running a lot faster than I would expect. i have the throttle cable positioned correctly, if it's at low throttle it's at same position as if cable not attached.

I'm clearly not an engine guy, is there anything else I should be thinking of as to why it's running fast?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doc, there should be a screw that acts as a "stop" for the throttle lever I think. Do you see something like that? It would control how "low" the level will go down (to lower the idle speed). If there is one, you should be able to loosen it so that the throttle lever goes down past what you're saying is the position its in with the cable disconnected. Hard to say without a visual though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's called the fast idle adjustment screw...

iu

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yup. Vacuum leak most likely.

where do I get more vacuum?

there's one gasket I wasn't sure which way it went. was between carb and engine body but it seemed to line up appropriately. I'll try again and see if I can find a diagram.

I saw the screw, I think it only has a single screw. I'll try that first

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    2 strokes are famous for crank seals...they suck air around the crank seals.....when it comes to 2 strokes....sometimes it's cheaper to pay a trusted mechanic......

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I called numerous places and no one works on tohatsu outboards around me

bought a new carb for $80 on Amazon and it runs like a champ. if I had to guess I damaged a jet cleaning it, I think the hole enlarged

Top Bottom