Work self evaluation time, I forgot how much it sucks.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hate self-reviews. That just seems wrong. If they're going to give me the responsibility of reviewing myself, then they should give me the power to give myself raises. I'd be really well off now if they did! :):

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I hate self-reviews. That just seems wrong. If they're going to give me the responsibility of reviewing myself, then they should give me the power to give myself raises. I'd be really well off now if they did! :):

wish I could review some others in my department, other then one person, I couldn’t give them anything above a 3 on a 1-5 scale overall. Got one guy who I have to “clean up” after on my first day back after a weekend because apparently it is too much work to do (i am usually bored halfway through my shift when I work the exact shift). Got another who smokes 1/3 of his shift, on chat rooms the 1/3, and does work the 1/3). Then another one who dies his job most of the time but is almost mailing it on until retirement in about 2-5 years. The one I would be okay with working with all the time is great. As with my last job, you have to be an idiot to lose your job or get in trouble.

i just wish they would tell me what I need to improve upon and be done with it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have annual reviews and 6 month reviews to see how we are progressing on our annual goals.

When someone works with their manager day in, day out, performance evaluations are nothing more than putting a notch in HR's gun stock. I have never liked performance reviews and for the most part I have always scored high.

I just think they are a waste of time.

Oh and self reviews; I learned a long time ago that most people judge themselves more critically than their managers, so I always give myself a great review. Managers will tend to follow your evaluation rather than have to be in a confrontational situation to try and prove a point.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    encouraged and accepted criticism to identify areas needing attention and addressed them; strong leader

addressed peers and subordinates with respect; facilitated communication up and down the chain of command

sought challenges and professional growth no matter the difficulty

exhibited the highest standards of loyalty, integrity and personal behavior at all times

bad stuff

hid serious shortfalls until it was too late to correct them

must realize the importance of finishing assigned tasks without supervision

failed to use time wisely, consistently failed to complete duty assignments

demonstrated poor judgement without consideration of results

Too easy!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We have annual reviews and 6 month reviews to see how we are progressing on our annual goals.

When someone works with their manager day in, day out, performance evaluations are nothing more than putting a notch in HR's gun stock. I have never liked performance reviews and for the most part I have always scored high.

I just think they are a waste of time.

Oh and self reviews; I learned a long time ago that most people judge themselves more critically than their managers, so I always give myself a great review. Managers will tend to follow your evaluation rather than have to be in a confrontational situation to try and prove a point.

My self review is usually something akin to, "Got all my stuff done on time or early." :): Honestly though, that should be my boss's job to review me. My boss isn't a micromanager, so I get that she probably doesn't know everything I do. That being the case, she should ask the people I work with about how I'm doing. I know they'd give me favorable reviews and I wouldn't have to "toot my own horn".

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Used to write 27 annual reviews for my techs. Our one on one annually was usually an hour or so per person.

Had to write my one review, had 2 bosses who were narcissitic A++holes. Wrote that I was a terrible employee who needed constant correction and monitoring because they felt the need to publicly address it every day. It is emailed to the VP of the company who was an awesome boss. Hour later he goes into the Branch managers office and calls the Service Manager in. They stayed 3 hours. My eval was excellent that year and every year after. 6 months later they both were gone.

Glad I retired!!

Don

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I hate it when they employees to do peer evaluations... first they are not in management so they shouldn’t be reviewing anybody and second it’s never with a professional mentality it’s always personal. God forbid you get one from somebody you don’t get along with.

i just hate evaluations altogether, just let me do my job to the best of my ability and let my performance speak for itself. If I need some correcting so be it, just tell me.

i could never be in management or HR.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am so glad that I don't have to engage in such corporate froo-frah.

At my first firm (the first one I count) I was told that I would be assigned a partner mentor and would have evaluations every 6 months. from 1999 to the end of 2006 (when I became a partner), I had 2 evaluations, one was formal and the other was when I passed the firm pres, in the hall, he did the finger-gun and said: "keep doing what you're doing."

Still waiting for my partner mentor to be assigned...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hate it when they employees to do peer evaluations... first they are not in management so they shouldn’t be reviewing anybody and second it’s never with a professional mentality it’s always personal. God forbid you get one from somebody you don’t get along with.

i just hate evaluations altogether, just let me do my job to the best of my ability and let my performance speak for itself. If I need some correcting so be it, just tell me.

i could never be in management or HR.

I can see that too. I'm fortunate to be able to work with a lot of really good people (and they like me :):), or I might feel otherwise.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am so glad that I don't have to engage in such corporate froo-frah.

At my first firm (the first one I count) I was told that I would be assigned a partner mentor and would have evaluations every 6 months. from 1999 to the end of 2006 (when I became a partner), I had 2 evaluations, one was formal and the other was when I passed the firm pres, in the hall, he did the finger-gun and said: "keep doing what you're doing."

Still waiting for my partner mentor to be assigned...

When I started my first "real job" (moving from the restaurant business to IT), I nearly doubled my starting salary in the first couple of years. My boss said, "You know this can't keep up, right?" But as long as my clients kept singing my praises, I wasn't going to argue.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A large portion of my job duties involve helping other members of my team to do their jobs, so I really enjoy doing the best I can to that end.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    True story... I once had a performance evaluation where I was asked to name my goals and I responded; "If I was good with goals, I wouldn't be working here."

I don't work there anymore.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    True story... I once had a performance evaluation where I was asked to name my goals and I responded; "If I was good with goals, I wouldn't be working here."

I don't work there anymore.

I've started to lighten up a little on evaluations of myself. When asked if I follow 5S principles, I answered "It's part of my DNA."

When asked about being to work on time, I replied, "On time is too late."

My boss laughed and agreed.:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've started to lighten up a little on evaluations of myself. When asked if I follow 5S principles, I answered "It's part of my DNA."

When asked about being to work on time, I replied, "On time is too late."

My boss laughed and agreed.:)

I've always been a firm believer in "Early is on time, and on time is late!" :): Never could understand people that would wake up 15 minutes before they have to be at work, throw something on and rush off. Of course now with everyone working from home, that's probably getting to be more common!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The few places that did evals were bigger companys that micro-managed everybody.

The people that usually did these had zero idea what we actually did in the field to make sure they got paid. Overhead versus earner.
    They did not like doing my eval.
    After driving into the shop and loosing a few hours pay...….
    Them.....You do not seem happy that we are here right now.
    Me.....I am not. I get paid by the billable invoice hours. This has cost me a minimum of 3 hours and put me behind with my customers for the day

Them....Well we have to evaluate you as an employee.
    Me.....That should be easy. Look at my billable hours/customer requests for me to do the work and parts/equipment sales. Low to no call backs and I have not wrecked your truck.

Them....Well there is more to this than just those numbers.
    Me.....What else is there. I am the company when I speak with customers. It is me they want to see not you.

Them....Uh
    Me....I need to get back to work OK.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Goal: Survive.

Then when they ask you next year if you met your goal you can smack them and say "did that feel like a ghost?"

Top Bottom