• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Close to 2 million jack stands manufactured and sold over an 8 year period are failing because they were produced on worn out equipment? Yet another reason to stop buying cheap Chinese :poop:. All of my jack stands are of US manufacture, of course some are closing on 40 years old! 3 or 4 of my 6 floor jacks are also US made and in one case is close to 50 years old but you'd be surprised what you can do with a hydraulic ram repair kit.:rockwoot:

I admit I couldn't resist buying one of those lightweight "racing" jacks that HF sells for less than $100, it's perfect for the golf cart or lawnmower.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have any of you actually seen those stands. I mean picked one up and looked closely at it.

If so you will understand why I can not for any reason understand why anyone would buy them. Anyone with at least half a brain anyway. Pure junk. Worthless junk.

The lure of cheap ****. Cheap ****. And then its national news. :faint:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Have any of you actually seen those stands. I mean picked one up and looked closely at it.

If so you will understand why I can not for any reason understand why anyone would buy them. Anyone with at least half a brain anyway. Pure junk. Worthless junk.

The lure of cheap ****. Cheap ****. And then its national news. :faint:

Never looked at them but then again there's not a tool Harbor Freight sells that'd I'd spend money on.

Just figured there's probably a few on here that might have these for the occasional oil change or brake job

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Hmmmm that same style is also sold under a number of other brands, I assumed that they all came from the same factory. I am very surprised that this only applies to HF. I have seen the same style under Napa brand and I am guessing that these were once made in USA decades ago. I have a pair of this style in the 6 ton size that are probably 20 years old, not bought at HF but dont remember where. I guess I need to take a close look at them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hmmmm that same style is also sold under a number of other brands, I assumed that they all came from the same factory. I am very surprised that this only applies to HF. I have seen the same style under Napa brand and I am guessing that these were once made in USA decades ago. I have a pair of this style in the 6 ton size that are probably 20 years old, not bought at HF but dont remember where. I guess I need to take a close look at them.

That style stand was pretty common and still is. The Chi-Coms always steal designs and products and some are contracted to them. But they steal far more.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Sometimes I purchase cheap tools for limited use. For jack stands, I chose the Pro-LifT T-6906D Double Pin Jack Stand for the added safety of the extra pin lock. I looked at the Harbor Freight stands, but the Pro-Lift stands only cost a little more.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    WELL... I did buy a pair of the 3 ton stands a year or two ago, as backups and extras since someone borrowed one of my good sets and didn't return them. They are the 61196 model. Now I have to return them, get a gift card for other HF junk, and find some good jack stands. Oh well, that will "learn" me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    WELL... I did buy a pair of the 3 ton stands a year or two ago, as backups and extras since someone borrowed one of my good sets and didn't return them. They are the 61196 model. Now I have to return them, get a gift card for other HF junk, and find some good jack stands. Oh well, that will "learn" me.

If you need a backpack sprayer, I have 2-4gal models that with the right coupons and sales can be had for $15-$18. Compare at $60. I use them hard and they are perfect...but they won't hold your car up.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think I have a set, but they're holding up the back end of my Suburban. They haven't moved in over a year, so I'll check the model number in a year or so when I pull them out.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have bought several screwdriver sets, sander, air impact and other misc hand tools from them. I dont think I would ever buy jack stands or a car hoist from them anytime soon.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

I have the NAPA's that look like these. I used one yesterday.

BTW, I double up on a truck corner

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Remember the big pissing match over floor jacks between Harbor Freight and Snap-On a few years ago? Snap-On was selling the same product out of the same factory with different paint and decals for twice as much. The case was settled out of court, apparently to HF’s satisfaction:

https://biztimes.com/snap-on-harbor-freight-settle-floor-jack-case/

I’ve bought occasionally from HF but know and avoid junk tools when I see them, no matter where they’re made.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have some friends who practically worship Harbor Freight. Tools are just something I don't skimp on. And like CM said, look at it before you buy it. You can usually tell **** tools by inspecting.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have some friends who practically worship Harbor Freight. Tools are just something I don't skimp on. And like CM said, look at it before you buy it. You can usually tell **** tools by inspecting.

For me, it depends on the tool. I am a hobbyist/avid DIYer. I do not make a living with my tools, nor do I use them every day. I have tools from everywhere and some are from HF. Have I mentioned mt backpack sprayers? Actually, one of those, I do use almost every day from March to November.

Top Bottom