• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    after 33.5 years at my company (Audubon Printers in Henderson KY) corporate has decided to close the plant!...so I get to JOB HUNT!!! yeah!...its not like there's any printshops hiring...its not like theres any printshops left!!!

so at 52, I get to try "new things" for "less pay"...and its not like the economy is booming, and we have record low employment records!

if anybody wants to say a prayer, it'd be greatly appreciated!

thanks ingo for listening

(I do get to work till 7.1)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    33.5 years and nothing to show for it! Yes, you have my prayers that you find replacement employment very quickly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yup, I'll say a prayer for sure. I have been there. Twice. It's not fun. You will be on a roller coaster for emotional highs and lows as you commence on the job hunt.

But you will prevail and find something. Possibly earning more money.

Get your resume put together and get a LinkedIn account if you don't have one and post it up and make sure you check the boxes that you are actively looking.

You might even throw it on Ladders or some other job search sites.

Network! Let everyone you know that you are looking for something. Yeah, you might have to swallow your pride a touch, but most people now a days don't keep a job for more than 5 years and a LOT of people have been let go for one reason or another.

There will be more fall out due to Covid19. Some businesses will not survive this. And some may start up in the coming weeks/months only to die later in the year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure what his situation is, but I believe mmpsteve here on INGO is in the same business too. Maybe he'd be a good one to contact. I know printcraft is also in the business (duh), but I think he mentioned his business has slowed down during this stuff as well. Still might be good networking contacts.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been there before also. But for me, it was one of the better things that have happened. Forced me to a new career which after some time, was so much better than before.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Re: Low unemployment

At the start of our recent change in the economy, I was talking to the manager of one of the auto part stores and he complained that the low unemployment level made it hard to get many applications--he was almost having to hire pulse-present workers instead of the ones he wanted. Now that there is a larger labor pool, employers will be able to pick and choose and will be looking for people who want to work; I would be very eager to call the number on an application of someone with 30+ years of experience at a single place. Maybe this is a chance to go into a completely new direction (albeit with the change in pay :( ).

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Hang in there, and keep a positive outlook. I won't say "all things happen for a reason", but I will say I've been in your shoes. Looking back now years later, I'm glad a job loss led to a complete career change in a more stable job field. Though at the time, it was devastating and depressing causing me to question my own judgement to remain in a job so long that apparently, didn't "need me" anymore.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ​Nah, I know the OP.
    :): and i know snorko!

ok just so everybody knows, i'm getting a very fair severance package (7 months pay, paid out over 7 months, plus a cash bonus paid right away) and a month of insurance, i plan on going on my wifes insurance, so that wont be an issue, i do have a friend who's trying to get me on somewhere (i wont say their name so i dont jinx it) and another friend who says he'll hire me asap (i have to work till 7-1 to get my severance) both jobs would be at the same place, but different departments, one will be harder to get, but will pay more (id have to work part time for a year, but the hourly pay at part time is more than i make now) the other will pay less than i make now, but would be full time from day one (with benefits).

not sure where printcraft is, but mmp steve is in layafette and im in evansville, so it'd be a little bit of a commute, my wife has a great job, and loves her work, so i wont ask her to move, even if either would hire me.

thanks everyone for the encouragement, i hope no one ever go's through this!

Thanks again
    Russell

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

ok just so everybody knows, i'm getting a very fair severance package (7 months pay, paid out over 7 months, plus a cash bonus paid right away) and a month of insurance, i plan on going on my wifes insurance, so that wont be an issue, i do have a friend who's trying to get me on somewhere (i wont say their name so i dont jinx it) and another friend who says he'll hire me asap (i have to work till 7-1 to get my severance) both jobs would be at the same place, but different departments, one will be harder to get, but will pay more (id have to work part time for a year, but the hourly pay at part time is more than i make now) the other will pay less than i make now, but would be full time from day one (with benefits).

not sure where printcraft is, but mmp steve is in layafette and im in evansville, so it'd be a little bit of a commute, my wife has a great job, and loves her work, so i wont ask her to move, even if either would hire me.

Thanks again
    Russell

Well that's encouraging news! For some reason I thought mmpsteve was down your way, but it sounds like you have some good prospects! :yesway:

The last time I went through that, (company went out of business - BMG Music Club), they were good enough to give us a year's notice, offered a good severance package when they finally closed. I wound up working for the gubmint and was only "out of work" for about 3 months before I started my new job, so I never even went through my severance, but it took most of the one year notice to land the job. Postive thoughts still coming your way! :)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Thanks again
    Russell

Sounds like a good plan. Depending on th benefits and what your wife has benefits wise it might make sense to take the higher $ part time gig.

Either way sounds like you will come out well and the company you work for now is at least doing things right by its employees.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Shooter6, I have no idea if this would be useful and I don't know how hands on you were, but don't overlook sign companies. My wife is graphics mgr for a commercial awning company and they have quite a bit of digital printing done by sign companies for complicated graphics and renderings beyond 4 color. Your experience might transfer

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    gonna ask for prayers, good vibes or whatever you want to do...butI've got a job interview tomorrow!!!...In a printshop no less!!!

​woot woot!!!!

Top Bottom