• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What are your plans for Memorial Day?

With the COVID-19 I don't know if all the cemeteries will be open to the public.

I will visit some WW2 graves here in Normandy.

19415855.jpg

Dieppe-Sentries-1180x787.jpg

A Canadian memorial at a local beach ... "You who are alive, on this beach, remember that this men died far from home that others, here and everywhere might freely enjoy life in God's mercy".

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sylvain, thanks for the great photos. Again.

In the marker below it's interesting (to me anyway) that "D-Day" gets translated into "Le Jour J". Do you have any idea if the French military uses nomenclature like the US does, i.e. "Le Jour J", "L'Heure H"? Or is that simply a literal translation?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain, thanks for the great photos. Again.

In the marker below it's interesting (to me anyway) that "D-Day" gets translated into "Le Jour J". Do you have any idea if the French military uses nomenclature like the US does, i.e. "Le Jour J", "L'Heure H"? Or is that simply a literal translation?

In French "Jour J" is mainly used to refer to June 6th 1944, but it can be used to refer to any other specific day.
    It's not just used by the military.For example in retail the term "Jour J" is also used for the grand opening of a store.
    Both "Jour J" and "heure H" were used by the military during WW1 as well.

Nowadays I don't know if it's used by the French military for current military operations.They like to use English terms more and more.
    They will refer to a target as "la target" :): ..., say "clear" when they clear rooms (even though some units say "claire".

French fighter pilots talk to eachother, and to ground control, in English.Even when they are not doing joint operation with foreign forces.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Always great pics Sylvain! We really appreciate them

I always make a trip to the Cemetery and plant flowers at my Mom and Dads as well as grandma and grandpa and my great Aunt too.
    Been a tradition for the last 24 years now

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    1-Cimeti%C3%A8re-am%C3%A9ricain-de-Colleville.jpg

A group of French kids visiting the US millitary cemetery of Colleville (near Omaha Beach), here their guide is showing them an American flag.

Notice that little girl's scarf.

Top Bottom