• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I bought a book, I know, who reads books anymore? It was shipped on the 18th from Oakland, MI. According to Google Maps, Oakland is a 4 hour and 42 minute drive from my house. The book first went to Pittsburgh, then to Cincinnati, it then made its way to Indy. It sat in one facility in Indy for 3 days, before being transferred to a different facility in Indy where it continues to sit. To be fair, it was likely sent media mail rather than priority, but seriously?

BTW, I am well aware it is just a book. I am posting this more out of bafflement and amusement rather than any sense of indignation.

BfqSSZd.jpg

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah I recently ordered some suspension bushings for a utility trailer. The bushings were shipped from Wentzville Mo, to KC Mo. From Kc they went to Indy then to Columbus OH. This portion of the trip took 4 days. This was after them "shipment data transmitted, awaiting pickup" at the warehouse for 3 days. It sat in Columbus for 4 days then back to Indy for two days then on to Mooresville IN for a day before "out for delivery". Suprisingly it delivered the same day as "out for delivery". 13 days. Is it any wonder USPS is spiraling the drain?

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Not the post office but FedEx for two orders from Chicago area by way of New Berlin,WI (west of Milwaukee) to Indy and back to Chicago and to Hammond on to Hobart. Hobart is right off of RT 80/94 and RT 65 so the packages went by the Hobart area twice before being delivered. How can FedEx make any money like this?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I bought a book, I know, who reads books anymore? It was shipped on the 18th from Oakland, MI. According to Google Maps, Oakland is a 4 hour and 42 minute drive from my house. The book first went to Pittsburgh, then to Cincinnati, it then made its way to Indy. It sat in one facility in Indy for 3 days, before being transferred to a different facility in Indy where it continues to sit. To be fair, it was likely sent media mail rather than priority, but seriously?

BTW, I am well aware it is just a book. I am posting this more out of bafflement and amusement rather than any sense of indignation.

BfqSSZd.jpg

Oh wow, this is a mess. Going to Pittsburgh (guessing, WHOOPS!) then Pittsburgh to Cincy and not Indy is wrong (unless you are a 470XX ZIP, Batesville/Lawrenceburg, etc.) The Indianapolis "Center" (BIG) is across from Lucas Oil Stadium. The Center process packages picked up by Postal Workers and from there they go to the Annex. The Indianapolis "Annex" (HUMONGOUS) is off Kentucky Avenue near Ameriplex Parkway. The Annex processes inbound packages for the 460/461/462/472/473/474; sorts and forwards for the 470/471/475/way to many to name. Possibly went to a wrong PO from the Center, never got scanned as misdirected (does happen), then showed back up at the Annex (which is where those parcels should go) yesterday.

About 10% of my job deals with looking at postal tracking. Some days it's more like 50%.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not sure what determines whether they do or not, but occasionally UPS offers real time GPS tracking, where you can follow the truck on its route once the package is out for delivery. That can be quite entertaining. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the routes they take.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Almost like there's been an uptick in use of delivery services. Odd.

Having had the exact same experience, this has nothing to do with upticks. Besides all the big shippers are using private carriers.

Several years ago I had a regular item ship out of NJ. I watched it take small hop after small hop for almost a week. Usually 1, sometimes 2 hops per day. (one surprisingly made 3 hops in 1 day) It would go typically from town to town, but sometimes would just go a couple miles between Post Offices. (one was only a mile and a half as I recall) After nearly a week of nearly a dozen little hops, it finally got to Trenton where it boarded a semi to come to downtown Indy. Once it got here it was delivered in another day. But up until it reached Trenton, it was almost like there was no central distribution network there and all packages had to follow a snowball route where the mail bag was passed from PO to PO gathering parcels as it went.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Media mail thru USPS is absolutely the worst. I've had a package go from Chicago all the way to the west coast before coming back to Illinois and then to Indiana for delivery.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Media mail thru USPS is absolutely the worst. I've had a package go from Chicago all the way to the west coast before coming back to Illinois and then to Indiana for delivery.

That's because no one else in Illinois wants to directly deal with Chicago...

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I'm not sure what determines whether they do or not, but occasionally UPS offers real time GPS tracking, where you can follow the truck on its route once the package is out for delivery. That can be quite entertaining. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the routes they take.

There was something on Discovery Channel or Science Channel years ago that talked about their GPS or maybe it was FedEx and how it routes them to minimize left hand turns, something about lowering chances for accidents. So I guess they go with 3 rights make a left instead.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    There was something on Discovery Channel or Science Channel years ago that talked about their GPS or maybe it was FedEx and how it routes them to minimize left hand turns, something about lowering chances for accidents. So I guess they go with 3 rights make a left instead.
    I could be wrong but I think it is UPS that does that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Having had the exact same experience, this has nothing to do with upticks. Besides all the big shippers are using private carriers.

Several years ago I had a regular item ship out of NJ. I watched it take small hop after small hop for almost a week. Usually 1, sometimes 2 hops per day. (one surprisingly made 3 hops in 1 day) It would go typically from town to town, but sometimes would just go a couple miles between Post Offices.

I would suggest that sounds exactly like a capacity issue. The "main arteries" are full of higher priority shipments, so your package got crammed into whatever nook and/or cranny got it a bit closer. I don't know, but I would bet you that it's all some computerized algorithm written to maximize the existing infrastructure that's routing all this stuff, not sumdood making decisions on the fly. But I could be wrong.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Some Transportation companies have Management Incentives (Bonus's) tied to different Metrics ...
    One Metric is DWELL = how long it sits someplace before Moving ... Higher Dwell = Lower Bonus
    To avoid this some Managers would route Inventory they knew would be "sitting" from Point A to Point B ...
    then back (B ->A) the next day .... keeping this up as long as necessary until it was ready to go to Point C
    They got higher Bonus's ... until Senior Management found out ...
    (moving tons from A -> B -> A -> B -> C costs extra fuel )

Top Bottom