• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We're getting a new yard barn / shed in a few weeks.

I have it in my head to prepare a gravel pad for it to sit on vs. concrete due to cost (and location on our lot).

Since I'd like this to be gravel, I'd like a form of some kind to contain the gravel. Like a concrete form, but something permanent.

In my head, I thought about using 4x4 or 6x6 polymer "timbers" and making a box. I suppose that pressure treated lumber will also work, but I was thinking the polymer ones would be more wear resistant to the weed eater.

So - how "off" am I in my way of thinking?

Suggestions on how to best / easiest / cheapest to accomplish my goal?

Why yes, I AM a home-project dumdum, thanks for noticing!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As far as the box goes, it's not really necessary, but drill holes in the timber and drive 3 foot rebar through them into the ground.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As far as the box goes, it's not really necessary, but drill holes in the timber and drive 3 foot rebar through them into the ground.

Is the box not necessary because gravel isn't necessary?

We want the gravel to stay where it is. Do not want it to migrate out into the yard. At all.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Is the box not necessary because gravel isn't necessary?

We want the gravel to stay where it is. Do not want it to migrate out into the yard. At all.

If you don't want the gravel to migrate, build the box. If you don't mind a little gravel moving at the beginning, don't worry about the box.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    This is from personal experience. Putting pea gravel under your shed will help with drainage. Putting the runners on blocks is a good idea. Treated lumber will rot eventually. If it's too low to the ground, it won't last long. And the gravel will keep moisture at bay. Added bonus, pouring a pad raises your property tax. I can't remember if you need a permit for a no pad build. I had a few permits, but for that I can't remember. Also skylights are good for seeing inside with no lights. Install with butyl rubber because it won't shrink and crack, and leak. Don't forget the roof vent. Double layer the bottom row of shingles and overhang them 1/2" over the edges. Use a z bar if putting shed siding above shed siding.
    Use 3/4 plywood for the floor and stagger the seams. Runners are 2x6 every 4' the length of the shed, on top of blocks. If you're shed is 12x8, it hwill have 3 12' runners. Before adding the floor, it will look like a bunch of 4x4 boxes. Stagger in the floor. Frame in the walls 16" or get premade barn trusses from Menards. Check frame upper corner to opposite diagonal lower corner both sides. If off, your roof won't be square. Use OSB for the roof. Bottom of shed siding should nail to the runners. Use #8 galvanized nails every 16" for about everything. And when finished, culk corners and door framing. You can make a door from shed siding or get a pre hung wide shed door.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    There's many designs to choose from. A popular one is a down sloping roof. The first couple feet not framed in and acts as a dry porch. Usually painted and sided to match the house.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Miller Barns is building the thing for us. Metal roof that has a defacto "roof vent" in it by way of how the 2 side sloping pieces come together at the top. Will also have a side-light window.

And yes, I want the gravel (I'm thinking #53) to help with drainage. It's a low-ish spot in the yard that will hold water at times, but only if it's been raining really hard for a few days.

I swear I'm not dumb. But I'm 100% not "project oriented". Don't even own a saw other than the bow saw I have. :D

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If only it was easy for me to post photos...

Anyhow, I had the assistance of a good friend / neighbor / Moderator help me transport the 6x6 timbers about a few weeks ago.

Then my wife and 7 year old daughter cut out the sod under the spots where the frame was going to sit. And bought some paver-setting sand mix. Spread that out and "leveled it". Well, as much as I could with the 2' stick level that I have.

Then last weekend friend / neighbor / Mod came over again with some tools that I do not have and assisted me in making the frame. Definitely needed his saw.

Anyhow - we built the frame in place and "squared it up". In quotations because it's only "good enough" or "good enough for government work". I'm OK with that. I used to work for INDOT - a government agency.

Two days ago another neighbor / friend, who owns a concrete business, brought in 1.5T of #53 and dumped it in the frame. My lovely bride took the time and effort to spread it out and watered it to help filter the fines down and lock it in.

Yesterday, right at 10:00am was the barn delivery. According to my wife, the delivery guys were impressed at the preparations we had made - and only needed a tad bit of gravel raking to get it level enough to put the new shed on. They didn't even need any of the pavers we bought for leveling! Unfortunate, too, since half of them we bought were "blems" that can't be returned. Oh well.

Anyhow - I couldn't have done it without friend / neighbor / moderator. And if he wants to post pics, I'll let him!

And a +1 to Miller's Mini Barns. https://millersminibarns.com/ They are not the cheapest, but we found their product to be VERY very well built and sturdy - including the doors which are much more substantial than other places we cross-shopped.

Top Bottom