• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's late May in Indiana, so you all know what that means...daytime heat into the 90's!!!

My TV is starting to fill up with commercials for auto A/C fix in a can, so I wanted to do a quick PSA for anyone considering using these products...

...PLEASE DON'T!!!

These one-can quick fixes are just as likely to do major damage to your a/c system as they are to provide you with even temporary relief...lemme 'splain.

1) CHYNA.
    2) The stuff in the can includes a/c oil, dye, refrigerant, and...usually some type of "stop-leak" chemical. Too much refrigerant or oil in itself can cause a/c system damage, and the stuff they use as stop-leak is murder on your evaporator...like, insta-clog.
    3) It doesn't address the root cause...usually a leak.

So, if you are in a position where you are considering using one of these mechanic-in-a-can products...PLEASE send me a PM. I have a set of R134 gauges and the proper tools for leak diagnosis. If you are local (or can get to me) I'll be glad to figure out a time and place to look at your car for you and let you know how big a fix you are likely facing. If you aren't local to me I can still help troubleshoot over the phone/email and make sure you don't get ripped off when you seek repairs.

Stay cool out there INGO!!!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Perfect timing as my GTI blows “kinda cool” air. As I’ve gotten older I can’t tolerate the heat like I used to. Now the SQ5 is like an icebox!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sunday was get the auto air checked out and running.
    The magic bus has a very slow leak that is not serviceable without a major undertaking so it gets re-charged every spring.

Pauls offer is a solid one. If he can help you out I am sure he will. We stopped fooling with auto air a few years ago. You explain there is a leak. They ask how long will a charge last. I answer no way to tell as they usually just get worse. They say charge it up. I answer OK but no warr. as I told you it is leaking.

3 weeks later you get an angry call that the air is not working and they want it fixed.

Nah, I will pass on that nightmare.

If you have a leak or a weak component they will not heal themselves.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have a 2013 Kia Rio I need a new condenser installed in it. I bought the condenser and was gonna change it myself, and then have it charged, but to be honest I have never messed with them and not sure I want to learn. Last fall my daughter hit something in the road with it, put a hole in condenser....I took it to Kia dealer and they wanted an arm and both legs, lol.

You guys think all it will need is a new condenser and charged ?

Thanks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a 2013 Kia Rio I need a new condenser installed in it. I bought the condenser and was gonna change it myself, and then have it charged, but to be honest I have never messed with them and not sure I want to learn. Last fall my daughter hit something in the road with it, put a hole in condenser....I took it to Kia dealer and they wanted an arm and both legs, lol.

You guys think all it will need is a new condenser and charged ?

Thanks!

Leaving it open this long it will need a dryer and possibly other components Randy. Air in the system means moisture and that's not a good thing.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Driving today reminded me that my truck's a/c is inop. Compressor threw the belt. Need to see if it is locked up or if its something simple like a belt and tensioner.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just throwing out another bit of info for anyone driving a Hybrid. Your auto AC system likely requires non conductive oil and shouldn't be messed with by untrained people. Likewise do not use your equipment on a Hybrid as it can contaminate the system and cause expensive problems

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Driving today reminded me that my truck's a/c is inop. Compressor threw the belt. Need to see if it is locked up or if its something simple like a belt and tensioner.

My truck pitched the belt last year because the Dumb butt owner only changed the main serpentine belt at the 100K service to the engine.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Leaving it open this long it will need a dryer and possibly other components Randy. Air in the system means moisture and that's not a good thing.

Yup. Condenser and a filter/drier at minimum.

I hate to sound so stupid....but what is the dryer/drier/filter? Is that all the same component? Is it the canister looking thing? Can the compressor be bad as well? Sorry for the questions but what are main components of AC unit? Condenser, compressor, dryer...is that it?

Thanks guys!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Also, its a good time to replace your cabin filters if so equipped. I've seen one that was probably original equipment that was totally clogged. The AC was barely putting out any cold air flow. New cabin filter fixed it. Note- this filter was a PIA to access as it was in the center dash.

Anyway- replace your cabin filters!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    On the '12 Town and Country we had, the rear A/C developed a very slow leak. This was a known issue as the rear evaporators were bad. Took it to the dealership and they didn't have any in stock and they were backordered. I was leaving on a vacation, so they charged it (late June) and believe it or not, it didn't start getting warm again until fall was upon us. The next spring, thinking I had nothing to lose, I read up on A/C leak stoppers and put in a can Of Red Angel. I then refilled the refrigerant....and drove it for over 2 more years with no A/C problems. The day the van was totaled, it still had cold air.

Not a fan of "miracle in a can" stuff, but if I had a car with a slow leak that I didn't want to spend a lot on, I'd use it again.

Top Bottom