• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Thinking of installing a system and would like to hear your comments if you have one.

-quietness
    -maintenance routine
    -how to size the unit
    -installation add-ons

Thank you

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    We've have had ours for about 6 years. Heating I think is so-so unless you turn thermostat to about 78 to 80.
    But it will heat. Cooling is great no more window AC units.
    We have a Fujitsu and have inside units in 2 rooms with the option of adding 1 room.
    Even though heating is not what I expected money well spent. Would do it again.
    Maintenance is pretty easy. keep cooling fins free of debris and inside filters clean.
    Company that installed has a service plan and checks unit every 6 months.
    Installation was done in a day.
    Find a Heating and Cooling company in your area and they can tell everything you want to know.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I wish I had a true Mini-Split. But what I do have is an Amana-brand hotel room style heat/ac unit in our spare bedroom suite / Quarantine Office.

The heater portion of the thing rattles like you wouldn't believe. It's maddening. And I don't know how or why. It's pretty quiet and unobtrusive when the AC is on, though.

But - this kind of unit can absolutely work for the right kind of room and application - and may very well save $ over a true mini-split that has an exterior unit tied to it.

And if anyone reading this knows what would cause such a racket of vibration when the heater is on and not the AC, please let me know!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have an insulated, but unheated or cooled "sun room" off the master bedroom which is about 14x14. I'm planning a mini split for this room. It will have the added feature of supplying A/C specifically to the master so that (after the kids move out) we can reduce the A/C in the rest of the house.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Before you buy, ask if the squirrel cage and motor can be replaced without draining the refrigerant. I had one in a data center as make-up air and after finding the fan was covered in black mold I was told our unit wasnt easy to replace. (to remove the cage and clean it) To remove the cage or motor required the system to be drained and recharged before taking it down off the wall. . By the time you added all that extra labor, we were told "just replace the thing. It's not much more expensive. "(And we would have a new system under warranty again)

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I’m a fan of them in specific applications. When they work, they work great. When they break, they are a pain to repair. Where are you looking to put one?

We have ceiling heat and propane fireplace, so really looking at the efficiency of the cooling of the system. I cut a P-tac in our living room awhile back and we are good there. Looking to cool the bedrooms without window units.

I will install it myself but really just want to hear how the ones who have this installed like it and what you don’t like.

Probably looking for a 2 zone system with the option to add on. 1500 sq’ home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have ceiling heat and propane fireplace, so really looking at the efficiency of the cooling of the system. I cut a P-tac in our living room awhile back and we are good there. Looking to cool the bedrooms without window units.

I will install it myself but really just want to hear how the ones who have this installed like it and what you don’t like.

Probably looking for a 2 zone system with the option to add on. 1500 sq’ home.

They work great if properly installed. Right up until they don't. Then they are a pain in the butt.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Thinking of getting one to cool a bedroom. The outdoor part would be on the roof in direct sunlight from sunrise to sunset. Would that be an issue and if so would there be a way to compensate?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does that mean that the unit was over worked, junk brand, or just not maintained well.

I will buy quality if there is one out there.

They are OK in their own right. I have installed a few but servicing them is crap work. Like anything they have a duty cycle. Yes there are good ones but I am a bit removed from that these days.

For what you are doing this should work well for you.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I did a lot of research on mini splits before buying. These guys came out on top in price & performance for me https://www.highseer.com/. They have good ratings and can be purchased direct or on Amazon.

The install went with minor issues (ask cm) and will be ready to go operational in 2 weeks. I'll let you know what I think after that.

2019-10-07i.jpg

2019-10-07e.jpg

We poured the pad and installed the plumbing dressing, cm did the rest.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did a lot of research on mini splits before buying. These guys came out on top in price & performance for me https://www.highseer.com/. They have good ratings and can be purchased direct or on Amazon.

The install went with minor issues (ask cm) and will be ready to go operational in 2 weeks. I'll let you know what I think after that.

2019-10-07i.jpg

2019-10-07e.jpg

Hey I have been there.....:):

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

2019-10-07i.jpg

2019-10-07e.jpg

I look forward to your review. Thanks for the link.

Top Bottom