• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I know it's never a good idea to interfere when someone is getting arrested, but after watching the video of George Floyd's arrest/assult, is there ever a justifiable time to interfere? I honestly can't say how I would have reacted if I were present in this case, but would love to hear people's opinion, especially any LEO's on INGO.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In Indiana, defense of others is defense of others....theoretically. In reality, you will be arrested, you will be charged, the police will be given the benefit of the doubt, and you had better hope that any video tells the story the way you evaluated the situation. It may still be worth it. Horrible position to be in.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I am thinking that would be a good way to get yourself shot and killed.
    I agree 100% with you, just wanted to get opinions on to jump in or not.
    Also, if that was your (in general, not just talking to Expat here) family member's life in the balance, under the guise of being arrested, would you interfere?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    In Indiana, defense of others is defense of others....theoretically. In reality, you will be arrested, you will be charged, the police will be given the benefit of the doubt, and you had better hope that any video tells the story the way you evaluated the situation. It may still be worth it. Horrible position to be in.

Sometimes doing the right thing requires self sacrifice.

If you need to intervene in an arrest, you should fully expect that your life as you know it is over, and be prepared to accept the consequences.
    Not much different than running into a burning building, stopping a mass shooter, or any other high risk effort to save a life.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Family. No doubt in my mind.
    This.
    If i truly believe their lives are in danger then who is doing it won't matter and i will use all force necessary to stop the threat. We will see who prevails. But at that point I will have made the choice and be ok with sacrificing my life for theirs.
    I pray im never forced into that situation

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This.
    If i truly believe their lives are in danger then who is doing it won't matter and i will use all force necessary to stop the threat. We will see who prevails. But at that point I will have made the choice and be ok with sacrificing my life for theirs.

^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I know it's never a good idea to interfere when someone is getting arrested, but after watching the video of George Floyd's arrest/assult, is there ever a justifiable time to interfere? I honestly can't say how I would have reacted if I were present in this case, but would love to hear people's opinion, especially any LEO's on INGO.

As a legal matter, Indiana has a specific statute detailing when you can use force against a public servant. Sigblitz posted the citation to it.

As a practical or prudential matter, I know where I sit, but it is a very complicated question and not one I would really opine on over the Internet.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am thinking that would be a good way to get yourself shot and killed.

With the below exception this what I believe would have happened in that scenario. Those 4 cops obviously had zero regard for human life.

Family. No doubt in my mind.

This.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    While on a Warrant Serving Call had 4 family members do a "Circle The Wagon" around with Whys?, Can't This Wait?, Can He Surrender First? Answer: No. He's going, wanna join him? Big wave parted.... Subject was cool, and cuffed outside. My partner came around the front and we backed out. Its a dangerous deal to get between Police and arrested subject.

Wasn't an active shooting thing, but always vigilant that it can go south fast.

I know and agree that an armed response may be prudent, and video can save additional charges. In the past, videos were not around, lawful arrests were performed.

As a Retired LEO, I am very cautious where and when I'm out. I carry daily and feel the cell phone on my belt is a better response until it turns to SHTF. Good luck on your choice. Very tough subject for personal reasons.

Top Bottom