• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thoughts on what is going on now in the USA.
    These are from a spiritual perspective, trying to sort out & have a right attitude as a person who answers to God.
    I will keep my private thoughts on what should be done with anyone starting fires or looting or attacking innocents or attacking police.
    Suffice to say: I have no sympathy.

This article is taken from someone whose books & materials I've read for years: Frank Viola.
    From an article that I edited for brevity:

Riots, Race, and the Gospel of the Kingdom

Regarding the riots, the USA has seen this movie before, dating back to 1992 in Los Angeles. No, dating back to 1980 in Miami. No wait, dating back to 1965 in Watts. And even before that.
    All of these riots were spawned by the same tragedies. Police brutality and/or gross injustice in the American legal system.
    Just like you, it was extremely difficult for me to watch a man die mercilessly on live video at the hands of a police officer, even as the man was begging for mercy.
    Thoughts and feelings flashed across my being toward that officer that no Jesus-follower should have.
    When major riots erupted in Ferguson in 2014 and Baltimore in 2015, Derwin Gray and I co-wrote an article together to address God’s people in light of the civil unrest.

The kingdom of God knows no injustice, no racism, no inequality, and no cruelty.
    And the gospel of the kingdom produces a community of people who PUT ON DISPLAY what it looks like when God is in charge.
    This is one of the many things that (my edit: God's Kingdom) has to offer this broken, lost, hostile world.

During this difficult time in history (with the virus crisis, the economic crisis, and now civil unrest), this is a time for EMPATHY.
    Empathy is the ability to put ourselves in another’s shoes and feel their distress.
    Empathy requires careful thought and understanding. It requires listening to others with an open heart.

Jesus Christ is God’s Empathy.
    He is a man of empathy and compassion, just as He was when He walked this earth in human flesh.

I encourage you to have empathy for the Floyd family, who lost George in a horrific, needless death.

Empathy for all our black brothers and sisters who have been mistreated and feel anger over a history of oppression.
    (As well as all other minorities who feel the sting of prejudice and hatred.)

Empathy for all police officers who genuinely care about people, but who are now blotted by the insensitivity, stupidity, and sinfulness of other officers.
    And who are being mistreated as a result.

Empathy for all the young people who are protesting for a good cause, but who haven’t yet been exposed to THE CAUSE for which to live, stand, march, and die – the gospel of the kingdom.

Empathy for those who were injured and/or who lost businesses during the riots.

Empathy for the other police officers who passively watched a man effectively tortured to death.
    Unless they are all genuine psychopaths void of a conscience, they will live with agonizing regret, despair and remorse the rest of their lives – which is its own hell.

And empathy for anyone else who is hurting and in pain during this difficult time.
    Your brother in mutual empathy,
    fv

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There is nothing here I disagree with.

...but Christ's empathy resulted in concrete action and Christ demonstrated an unswerving commitment to the Truth.

Empathy that perpetuates untruth and violence and injustice is not of Christ.

Christ identified man's sin problem, and taught, and ultimately died and rose to address it. While empathetic to the struggles of sinners, he did not excuse the sin. He did not attempt to blame man's sin problem on something other than the sin. Rather, he lovingly pointed it out, and then provided the cure. A cure that requires man to repent. Christ did not ignore sin or redefine sin as non-sin because the sinner had a difficult life. He died for the forgiveness of that sin because it is that bad. But there is no forgiveness without repentance.

Our empathy should cause us to seek to understand why people hold positions which we may not agree with.

Our empathy should cause us to remember that while protesters can be righteously angry.

Our empathy should make us understand that protesters and criminals are not the same thing.

Our empathy should not result in the officers who committed crimes not being held to account. This is an appropriate function of government.

Our empathy should cause us to excuse lawless and criminal behavior.

Our empathy should not result in us ignoring racism where it may exist.

Our empathy should not cause us to agree that there is racism, systemic or otherwise, where there is not.

Empathy can never replace truth in the pursuit of peace. Peace without truth is temporary and fragile.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There is nothing here I disagree with.

...but Christ's empathy resulted in concrete action and Christ demonstrated an unswerving commitment to the Truth.

Empathy that perpetuates untruth and violence and injustice is not of Christ.

Christ identified man's sin problem, and taught, and ultimately died and rose to address it. While empathetic to the struggles of sinners, he did not excuse the sin. He did not attempt to blame man's sin problem on something other than the sin. Rather, he lovingly pointed it out, and then provided the cure. A cure that requires man to repent. Christ did not ignore sin or redefine sin as non-sin because the sinner had a difficult life. He died for the forgiveness of that sin because it is that bad. But there is no forgiveness without repentance.

Our empathy should cause us to seek to understand why people hold positions which we may not agree with.

Our empathy should cause us to remember that while protesters can be righteously angry, there is never an excuse for destruction and looting.

Our empathy should make us understand that protesters and criminals are not the same thing.

Our empathy should not result in the officers who committed crimes not being held to account. This is an appropriate function of government.

Our empathy should not result in us ignoring racism where it may exist.

Our empathy should not cause us to agree that there is racism, systemic or otherwise, where there is not.

Empathy can never replace truth in the pursuit of peace. Peace without truth is temporary and fragile.

Well said & clarified. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good piece Sir

Can't take credit for it: Frank Viola wrote it.
    I can remember using his materials in my 20s teaching teens.

Empathy should not replace logic

Absolutely not.
    IMO, this article wasn't to get us to be dismissive/excusive of bad behaviors.
    I believe it to be written so as not to give in to hating an entire race of people b/c of the bad insane criminal behaviors of the mob.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dislike is based on a persons character.
    People can grow or change
    But most do not.
    Some do stupid stuff when younger.

Some people do stupid stuff and demand I tolerate it, or worse tell me its my fault.

Making excuses for somebody is not empathy.
    You try to understand, look for the causes.

And after a few decades you just go " eh, most people suck ".

Saves energy

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your point is well made.
    I have seen 40 yr. olds doing the same stupid things & making the same bad decisions they did as teens.
    Some never grow up and take their place as adults.
    Partly, I think it comes from not having to learn pain from mistakes early on b/c parents don't let them suffer for wrong they have done.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Your point is well made.
    I have seen 40 yr. olds doing the same stupid things & making the same bad decisions they did as teens.
    Some never grow up and take their place as adults.
    Partly, I think it comes from not having to learn pain from mistakes early on b/c parents don't let them suffer for wrong they have done.

Kinda why i dislike rubber bullets

Top Bottom