Are you needing to use the horn more too?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I drive for a living. Mostly city and an average of about 125 miles a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

It occurred to me the other day that I must be tooting my van horn at LEAST once a day, maybe more! I don't remember doing this pre-plague. Maybe once every couple of weeks.

I am not horn happy. I don't want to do it. When the light goes from red to green I expect to see the line start moving in a few seconds. The light is only going to stay green for about 25 - 45 seconds depending on the intersection so for the folks at the back of the line it is crucial to start safely but expeditiously. So when the car in front sits there, and sits there for about four (4) or five (5) seconds and doesn't start to move I will gently hit the horn to encourage their pressing the peddle on the right. I found myself doing this about five (5) times in one (1) day! The next day, twice. I don't mean to be a butthead but people behind need to go, including me.

It's like folks just aren't paying attention to their driving. I haven't noticed any or much additional goofing off once in motion and moving down the road, but folks sure seem to need a lot more incentive to get moving in the first place.

So I was curious, is it just me? Am I a big meanie or have you folks noticed the need to wake folks up more than a few monthes ago?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Doug

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's the cell phone cult.

I see it every single day, and it's why I got out of driving for a living and got rid of my motorcycle.
    Enough close calls dude to those idiots, that I decided I value my life more than easy pay.

You may not see them doing much, but trust me, they are on their phone. They've gotten crafty with ways to hide it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Getting where you are going also means making an attempt to somewhat keep up with the traffic flow. Too often there isn't a lot of traffic but you have a few "goofs" that insist of 100 to 200 yards between them and the car in front of them. Cell is the culprit again but I'm not sure what to do about it and YES I'm using my horn more often.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Retired people are not in a hurry. Their concept of time changes as they do not have to be anywhere on time. With Covid19 quarantine, everyone nonessential (aka expendable) , became retired mentally.
    Or it's the cell phone

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    About the only time I can recall using my horn it was at a deer or other animal. Actually the last time I used it I had to beat around on the steering wheel to find it. Hadn't used it in so long I forgot where it was!
    But seriously, I haven't really noticed it being any worse than before the wuflu. But then my driving is mostly highway and small towns. One thing I have noticed is people on the highway and interstate driving slower now than before the lockdown. Almost every day going to or from work I'll get behind somebody at least 10 mph under the speed limit.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    About the only time I can recall using my horn it was at a deer or other animal. Actually the last time I used it I had to beat around on the steering wheel to find it. Hadn't used it in so long I forgot where it was!
    But seriously, I haven't really noticed it being any worse than before the wuflu. But then my driving is mostly highway and small towns. One thing I have noticed is people on the highway and interstate driving slower now than before the lockdown. Almost every day going to or from work I'll get behind somebody at least 10 mph under the speed limit.

Just the opposite up here on the highways. People were always speeding but now they've added another 10 mph or so.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Retired people are not in a hurry. Their concept of time changes as they do not have to be anywhere on time. With Covid19 quarantine, everyone nonessential (aka expendable) , became retired mentally.
    Or it's the cell phone

Where'd you get that paint brush for such a large stroke, I've got a shed to stain and figure it'd take only one swipe using it?

Who told you retired people still don't have appointments or schedules?

Oh by the way I'm one of those retired persons that found it necessary to wake the generation X or at least momentarily get them away from their phone when the light turned green more than once this week.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's the cell phone cult.

I see it every single day, and it's why I got out of driving for a living and got rid of my motorcycle.
    Enough close calls dude to those idiots, that I decided I value my life more than easy pay.

You may not see them doing much, but trust me, they are on their phone. They've gotten crafty with ways to hide it.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its the damned phone.

Put it down and drive your vehicle.

I am using my horn 4 times as much as I used to. I used to just tap it. Yesterday I was behind the same car through a series of lights and every freaking light this moron was head down on his damn phone and not paying attention to the flow of traffic. The last 2 lights I laid on the horn at the light change. He finally turned off oblivious to life outside his car.

People we are doomed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Interesting. I have been retired ( :lmfao: ) for 8 years and have not slowed down a step. Well maybe just 1 step but I am on the move all day long.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    EarlyFinishedCrossbill-size_restricted.gif

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On the cell phone issue I am going to have to disagree with you fine folks. As you may or may not be aware, cell phones did actually exist pre-plague. I know, I know, but it is true. They were around waaaayyyy back then.

I believe it is something different. If it were just cell phones then my "honk ratio" would remain consistent. And yes, I do agree that folks are distracted by them.

I think it is something else. I think people are more distracted today than before the plague. Maybe I'm wrong and ya'll are spot on. My gut is telling me that perhaps with 41 million on unemployment, and those going back to work may not be at full hours, that they are more worried, more concerned than pre-plague.

Of course, there is also the chance that I am a big meanie that is impatient. Whatever it is, we shall get through it.

Regards,

Doug

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    On the Phone Issue, I just wonder if it will improve after July 1 when the No Hand Held Phone Use goes into effect ? ?

It has to be enforced for any change to occur.

I believe it is something different. If it were just cell phones then my "honk ratio" would remain consistent. And yes, I do agree that folks are distracted by them.

I think it is something else. I think people are more distracted today than before the plague. Maybe I'm wrong and ya'll are spot on. My gut is telling me that perhaps with 41 million on unemployment, and those going back to work may not be at full hours, that they are more worried, more concerned than pre-plague.

Of course, there is also the chance that I am a big meanie that is impatient. Whatever it is, we shall get through it.

Regards,

Doug
    I think you may be on to something here. If I were to take a guess, it would be that people as a whole are social creatures. With the social distancing, cell phones have been one of the main ways to stay social with others. Getting into the habit of being on a cell phone to stay social has become the "new normal" for the past couple months. Instead of changing routine, they have decided that they are more important than anyone else...and by damn if they are gonna put down the cell phone.

I had a lady behind me yesterday, mask on, talking into her cell phone(while on speaker phone). I see this more and more these days. And the amount of tailgating I have observed has been getting out of hand also. Now, Get Off My Lawn!

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Spending 8hrs a day behind the wheel for work I will say that it seems since the stay-at-home orders are lifting it has gotten worse. More people on the roads that usually aren't there, just because the stay-at-home is lifted doesn't mean they're back to work but they are out doing other things. Those of us that worked through this all got spoiled not having everyone else out running around. I don't know if people are more distracted than before or if it's more noticeable because it's a more abrupt change with a return of traffic and the distraction. I am currently running equipment that has an 8'x8' wall of flashing lights on the back and a big arrow indicating to change lanes and not follow me but all day long geniuses either almost rear-end me or pull in behind me and sit because they aren't paying attention.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Average use in my SUV. On the bike, I wanna get a louder horn. A couple weeks back, box truck dawdling about under the speed limit in the left lane so I move to pass on the right and I could see this ***hole in the mirror clear as day. About half way he doesn't even look just flips his blinker on and starts to move over. Horn did nothing so I drop a gear and accelerated out of it and gave him a "salute". Should have gotten his DOT number but that never goes anywhere.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    More and more people are less concerned for their fellow man. They think that the world revolves around them, with zero regard for anyone else.

The fact that we have left lane lurkers and have even passed (practically unenforceable) laws against it is a prime example.

This will get worse before it gets better. We have a generation that has been trained to think and drive this way. HS drivers ed taught my daughter, now 30, to drive the highways in the left lane.

I chuckle when we get first snows covering the roads in Bloomington. Everything four lane has tire marks in the left lanes and snow covered right lanes. Idiots don't know better than to drive closest to oncoming traffic on slick roads. :n00b:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Average use in my SUV. On the bike, I wanna get a louder horn. A couple weeks back, box truck dawdling about under the speed limit in the left lane so I move to pass on the right and I could see this ***hole in the mirror clear as day. About half way he doesn't even look just flips his blinker on and starts to move over. Horn did nothing so I drop a gear and accelerated out of it and gave him a "salute". Should have gotten his DOT number but that never goes anywhere.

Be careful my friend. Getting into it with four wheelers on your bike could well lead to getting you and your bike totaled. Fender bender on the bike could end your riding for life.

I've nearly gotten into fist fights while trapped at intersections, with pissed off four wheelers taunting to bump me.

Because I carry a gun, I never flip the bird, driving or riding. Inviting a fight of any sort could be a problem that lands you in jail or the poorhouse or worse.

Even simple things like a pass that ticks a four wheeler off could turn into "road rage." Even when completely in the right and you win the battle, you could end up losing the war. :twocents:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Eh apart from the finger I gave after getting myself out of it, that was all on him not paying any damn attention and no way I could have really anticipated that. My pass was already half to ⅔ complete when he threw the signal on and started moving over immediately. There are more rejects driving CDL B trucks than all of the worst Stevie Wonder Institute For Trucking drivers combined.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Be careful my friend. Getting into it with four wheelers on your bike could well lead to getting you and your bike totaled. Fender bender on the bike could end your riding for life.

I've nearly gotten into fist fights while trapped at intersections, with pissed off four wheelers taunting to bump me.

Because I carry a gun, I never flip the bird, driving or riding. Inviting a fight of any sort could be a problem that lands you in jail or the poorhouse or worse.

Even simple things like a pass that ticks a four wheeler off could turn into "road rage." Even when completely in the right and you win the battle, you could end up losing the war. :twocents:

Road rage is optional on 2 wheels, at least on a halfway powerful bike.

You can be beyond the reach of any 4 wheeler in seconds, and squeeze out of almost any situation. One of the only benefits for personal safety a bike affords you.

Top Bottom