• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We'd been suffering along on telephone company provided DSL for the last couple years. The speed was less than 4 Mbits, the customer service was absolute crapola, and they couldn't get the bill right to save their lives. Centurylink...avoid whenever possible.

So COVID strikes...and my entire group was sent home to work until further notice. I was limping along on the crummy DSL and in a period of 60 days it was down and out 3 times. So I called Metronet fiber. My area was FINALLY available to them so I signed up. One week later they came and wired my house, put the fiber box in my office, and I was now cooking at 200 Mbits up and 200 Mbits down and no longer depending upon the crappy service from Centurylink. I also moved my home phone number to Metronet.

So I have this fiber cable snaked out across my lawn, and I am thinking if these guys are like Comcast they will take 6 months to bury it. WRONG...one week after the install, they showed up and buried the cable. I didn't even have to call and complain.

We can stream to three TV's, surf the web and take and make phone calls without missing a single data bit. It's been about 45 days now and no interruptions in service. Per month price? $4.00 more than Centurylink was charging me for phone and 3 Mbits of DSL.

I highly recommend Metronet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Man, I wish I lived somewhere I could get fiber. AT&T is slowly rolling it out in our area but my only options are Comcast and DSL.

AT&T is in my area now I think, but they left a bad taste in my mouth when they dropped U-verse and made everyone go to DirecTv. As much as I hate paying Comcast's rates, I'm a little gun shy when it comes to AT&T.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    ATT buried it's optical along my front sidewalk....but they still have me hooked to DSL. I'm getting great I/O's, so I really can't complain.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ATT buried it's optical along my front sidewalk....but they still have me hooked to DSL. I'm getting great I/O's, so I really can't complain.

It was just a pain in the butt switching providers. Because of a "utility wall" in my house, with my electrical and a lot of plumbing on it, I have to set up two networks in order to get a signal out in my family room and it requires a wifi extender. Gotta say that Comcast tech support was very helpful in getting that set up. Just hate their prices. A couple of months ago, two people from AT&T knocked on my door trying to get me to switch to fiber, but for the services I have (cable, phone and internet) there wasn't really enough cost savings to convince me to switch.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    We've cut the chord on Comcast, DirectTV and U-Verse. The biggest hassle with a cable company is that they change rates and it takes a lot of phone calls or office visits to get the best rate adjustments.

We went with Roku. If I want HBO for a month, I pay for the month. No hassling unsubscribing. The downside is that internet went to $70 per month from $40+. So far, it has been worth the change.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We've cut the chord on Comcast, DirectTV and U-Verse. The biggest hassle with a cable company is that they change rates and it takes a lot of phone calls or office visits to get the best rate adjustments.

We went with Roku. If I want HBO for a month, I pay for the month. No hassling unsubscribing. The downside is that internet went to $70 per month from $40+. So far, it has been worth the change.

In all honesty, there are probably 10 channels that I actually watch. None of them are premium channels, but a couple are only available on the "second tier" of Comcast. I still consider what I have to be "basic" cable, but they don't. I'm just so non-tech-savvy that I'm nervous about cutting the cord completely. And I work in IT! :): If these services ran on a mainframe, I might have a better chance at understanding how it all works.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    AT&T is in my area now I think, but they left a bad taste in my mouth when they dropped U-verse and made everyone go to DirecTv. As much as I hate paying Comcast's rates, I'm a little gun shy when it comes to AT&T.

Honestly not surprised they tossed U-verse. I used to be an installer. We had our cases where replacing bad wiring fixed everything but there were many where conditions seemed perfect and it just would not work right. More than once I had a repair order on a fiber to the home installation, new construction homes with high quality RG-6 coaxial and Cat5e or even Cat6 cable ran straight from a junction box to each outlet and no amount of swapping STBs, modems, and wiring would fix it. Then you'd have others that somehow ran perfectly on garbage for years until they didn't.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Honestly not surprised they tossed U-verse. I used to be an installer. We had our cases where replacing bad wiring fixed everything but there were many where conditions seemed perfect and it just would not work right. More than once I had a repair order on a fiber to the home installation, new construction homes with high quality RG-6 coaxial and Cat5e or even Cat6 cable ran straight from a junction box to each outlet and no amount of swapping STBs, modems, and wiring would fix it. Then you'd have others that somehow ran perfectly on garbage for years until they didn't.

They did some really weird stuff getting mine to work, that's for sure. Comcast had to correct, and re-do a lot of it. I suppose some of it does depend on the tech doing the install too.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    I have had Metronet Internet service for several years now their customer service is impeccable they are very prompt on repairs etc.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    We'd been suffering along on telephone company provided DSL for the last couple years. The speed was less than 4 Mbits, the customer service was absolute crapola, and they couldn't get the bill right to save their lives. Centurylink...avoid whenever possible.

So COVID strikes...and my entire group was sent home to work until further notice. I was limping along on the crummy DSL and in a period of 60 days it was down and out 3 times. So I called Metronet fiber. My area was FINALLY available to them so I signed up. One week later they came and wired my house, put the fiber box in my office, and I was now cooking at 200 Mbits up and 200 Mbits down and no longer depending upon the crappy service from Centurylink. I also moved my home phone number to Metronet.

So I have this fiber cable snaked out across my lawn, and I am thinking if these guys are like Comcast they will take 6 months to bury it. WRONG...one week after the install, they showed up and buried the cable. I didn't even have to call and complain.

We can stream to three TV's, surf the web and take and make phone calls without missing a single data bit. It's been about 45 days now and no interruptions in service. Per month price? $4.00 more than Centurylink was charging me for phone and 3 Mbits of DSL.

I highly recommend Metronet.

Bit or Byte? If you're bit, you're not even on the on ramp. Even at 200 megabyte down that's just above entry level, now if you have 200 megabyte up, you have way above average upload speeds, most are 25.

I have Spectrum (formerly BrightHouse) and I'm at 400nbyte down, 25 up. My dl speeds run between 385-450 depending on the time of day/night.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bit or Byte? If you're bit, you're not even on the on ramp. Even at 200 megabyte down that's just above entry level, now if you have 200 megabyte up, you have way above average upload speeds, most are 25.

I have Spectrum (formerly BrightHouse) and I'm at 400nbyte down, 25 up. My dl speeds run between 385-450 depending on the time of day/night.
    All networks are measured in megabits. You do not have 400 megabyte service. Only very expensive enterprise network equipment goes above 1 gigabit. 200 megabit full duplex (up and down) service is blazing and more than enough for most people. The upload speed makes a large difference that most people don't understand. His network latency is likely close to single digits too which will smoke coax based services.

If anyone gets a chance to move fo fiber, do it. I have had at&t fiber since we moved in 2018 and it has never failed.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    All networks are measured in megabits. You do not have 400 megabyte service. Only very expensive enterprise network equipment goes above 1 gigabit. 200 megabit full duplex (up and down) service is blazing and more than enough for most people. The upload speed makes a large difference that most people don't understand. His network latency is likely close to single digits too which will smoke coax based services.

If anyone gets a chance to move fo fiber, do it. I have had at&t fiber since we moved in 2018 and it has never failed.

Metronet in my area offers Gigabit internet that is true Gigabit speed....for a price....which was more than I wanted to pay. The DSL was less than 4 Mbits....going to 200 was awesome. I have one PC that only gets 100 Mbit....it has a 100 Mbit ethernet card. My other computers all have gigabit cards so they get 200.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I'm west of West Lafayette and use Frontier DSL (25Mb/s). I have access to Comcast and Metronet. My DSL has never failed in 35+ years (even before DSL when it was DOV). We have WiFi but all the computers (5), printers (2), and TVs (2) are on wired connections. Only the laptop (rarely used) and five phones use the WiFi. It is difficult to switch when there are no issues.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm west of West Lafayette and use Frontier DSL (25Mb/s). I have access to Comcast and Metronet. My DSL has never failed in 35+ years (even before DSL when it was DOV). We have WiFi but all the computers (5), printers (2), and TVs (2) are on wired connections. Only the laptop (rarely used) and five phones use the WiFi. It is difficult to switch when there are no issues.

I would have stayed on Centurylink had they not forced me off their system with poor service, charging me for things they weren't delivering, and their inability to get my bill straight. I had been with them since the days of GTE Sprint, Embarq, and eventually Centurylink. If you get great service from your provider, by all means, stick to them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm jealous. I have Viasat and it is severely overpriced for what I'm getting and goes out regularly. Unfortunately I don't have many options out here.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I used to have Comcast and it was absolutely terrible. Lots of service interruptions, speeds were horrible, and when I had to call in the customer service was abysmal. I had to call in every 6 months or so to "negotiate" a new rate because they kept raising prices. A few years ago Metronet was available and I switched to them. Comcast continued to bill me for 4 months after I canceled and even after I cleared that up they claimed I had some their equipment still and tried to charge me $100+ for it. I will go without service before I have use them again.

Metronet on the other hand has been amazing. No problems with the service at all. I've made a change to my cable once which was a downgrade in package, they never tried to upsell me, and the entire call was maybe 10 minutes long if that. Calls to Comcast were regularly over an hour each time not including being on hold. I can't recommend Metronet enough.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I used to have Comcast and it was absolutely terrible. Lots of service interruptions, speeds were horrible, and when I had to call in the customer service was abysmal. I had to call in every 6 months or so to "negotiate" a new rate because they kept raising prices. A few years ago Metronet was available and I switched to them. Comcast continued to bill me for 4 months after I canceled and even after I cleared that up they claimed I had some their equipment still and tried to charge me $100+ for it. I will go without service before I have use them again.

Metronet on the other hand has been amazing. No problems with the service at all. I've made a change to my cable once which was a downgrade in package, they never tried to upsell me, and the entire call was maybe 10 minutes long if that. Calls to Comcast were regularly over an hour each time not including being on hold. I can't recommend Metronet enough.

I doubt Metronet even services our area, but from what I've heard here, I'd consider them for sure!

Top Bottom