How to determine if open container or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I took this pic thinking I could make a funny meme but the more I thought about it, it was more interesting than funny.
    I'm sure it isn't just a local thing but at the height of covid local breweries were making hand sanitizer. This one used the same bottles and made cool lables.

I had it in my car for a while and a couple thoughts dawned on me.

It says don't drink, hand sanitizer... but it is a bottle of alcohol and the appearance is going to make anyone's first thought be "drinking alcohol ".
    On the other hand- Jokingly I thought is to keep this, reuse it, and have an open container that might just get a pass when pulled over. (I don't actually drink but it's interesting to think about how it would be handled)

How different would vodka or other clear alcoholic beverages smell to this?

gHGbdEE.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would think that the hand sanitizer would be some kind of gel, whereas a clear liquor wouldn't, so it seems it would be pretty easy to tell the difference as soon as you picked up the bottle. Are you saying the hand sanitizer was just a regular liquid like vodka?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Innocent till proven guilty I would think. When pulled over if you have alcohol in your system in any amount or have "hand sanitizer" on your breath you might be screwed.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown

free pictures hosting

We bought 8 gallons of hand sany for our office from a local brewery. It is thin like regular grain alcohol not gel at all. Smells just like some shine ive had back in the day.

Notice the warning on the label. Its pretty funny.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks sparky. I wasn't sure about the brewery-made stuff. That seems like it would be kinda messy in an office environment unless you were holding your hands over a sink or something.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Thanks sparky. I wasn't sure about the brewery-made stuff. That seems like it would be kinda messy in an office environment unless you were holding your hands over a sink or something.

Its for a dental office so mostly patient use as they come and go out the front doors. I wanted to dilute it down with gel to make it less messy. I tried to get it more to a 60% solution but still was thin and I did not want to go more so it would still be effective.

Last edited:

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish

free pictures hosting

We bought 8 gallons of hand sany for our office from a local brewery. It is thin like regular grain alcohol not gel at all. Smells just like some shine ive had back in the day.

Notice the warning on the label. Its pretty funny.

They handed some of that out where I work. We told the boss, if PD pulls us over we're going to jail this stuff smells like booze. What's worse is the little bottles they had it in leaked so you always smelled like it.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I've heard that the winos were drinking the usual hand sanitizers anyway. I just wonder if that stuff is denatured ie; poisoned.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Open containers aren't really high on the list of things most cops give a **** about. And most of us can read the label. So as long as you aren't drunk driving, you're probably ok.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would think that the hand sanitizer would be some kind of gel, whereas a clear liquor wouldn't, so it seems it would be pretty easy to tell the difference as soon as you picked up the bottle. Are you saying the hand sanitizer was just a regular liquid like vodka?

My guess is that the processing equipment (e.g. tubes, pumps) in a distillery aren't capable of handling hand sanitizer as viscous as what we're used to using, ergo the stuff they make is quite watery.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I bought a bottle of that Faber stuff at Ollie’s. It is, by faaaar, the most foul-smelling stuff out there. Some brands have a little funk, but that one is somehow the worst.

Top Bottom