"1984" Is 71 Years Old, Reality May Surpass It...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The 1984 British movie production of the book is one of my favorite movies ever.

Although I think Huxley's "Brave New World" is more telling of the future.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I reread 1984 just a few months ago. I too had read it in high school at one point and didn't really retain any of it.

Anybody that hasn't read it should. It's a pretty easy read. You can get through it in a few sittings. It is pretty scary to see some of the similarities and parallels to what's happening today with the thought police and media.

I also recently reread Fahrenheit 451, which is another good one.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I reread 1984 just a few months ago. I too had read it in high school at one point and didn't really retain any of it.

Anybody that hasn't read it should. It's a pretty easy read. You can get through it in a few sittings. It is pretty scary to see some of the similarities and parallels to what's happening today with the thought police and media.

I also recently reread Fahrenheit 451, which is another good one.

Brave New World
    and Fahrenheit are all good books.
    And why does the future have to be one or the other.
    Maybe it will be a mash up of all 3.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    There was a BBC version of Brave New World (a mini series maybe?) years ago that was fun because it stayed with the book. Watched it in two long sittings. Well, it was fun until they got into the engineering for people of lesser capabilities. Then it started hitting pretty close to home because of awareness on my part. Spoiled it for me a little.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Not unreal, agenda driven. Yeah, I loved Star Trek but even as a kid it was obvious.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    We have our "smart", giant wall-sized TVs to provide hours of entertainment watching "Ow, My Balls!" .

The bombers don't need to fly overhead to destinations unknown, the drones can just loiter over their AO forever if they don't crash into the Costco.

Industry is going to ramp up production as availability decreases and the leaves just blow down the street.

Down the memory hole! A truly impressive leader can always change what they are saying in mid-sentence and no one even questions it. "Why you tryin' to read that word? You a f@g?" Having books will earn you a visit from the fired department.

Julia (funbags?) probably likes money and you can probably get her to give you a full body latte with extra foam despite the red sash. You might even be able to go family style on that, but she probably doesn't care for the smell of Kerosene. Just check with Upgrayedd first.

Your floor is now clean! Your floor is now clean!...but there might be something in your AC duct.

I have seen the future, it is a boot stamping a human face, forever....with a salamander in the driveway...and sentenced to a night of Rehabilitation.

That was fun!

Top Bottom