• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So my son 16 wants to get a job, he is 6’2 and a big kid, not overweight but big, still he is not an adult. I am not real keen on the whole job thing, especially when it comes to fast food and pizza places. I tend to look at things in a different light than most. I am looking at risk versus benefits, employee security, location, average response times, agency jurisdiction, and working hours.

Am I overthinking this.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Let him get a job! Be thankful that he wants to work! I was earning a actual paycheck at the age of 13(corn detasseling in the summer) not to mention mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, and shoveling snow.

At that age it let's them learn the value of money not to mention discipline, skills that can transfer in the future, how to work well with others, how to take orders from a superior/manager, etc.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Let him get a job! Be thankful that he wants to work! I was earning a actual paycheck at the age of 13(corn detasseling in the summer) not to mention mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, and shoveling snow.

At that age it let's them learn the value of money not to mention discipline, skills that can transfer in the future, how to work well with others, how to take orders from a superior/manager, etc.

I do not have an issue with him working. He does hay, pet sits, and works hard. To be honest I think he would be better off doing things like that, versus working at a fast food place. He makes about $250 a weekend doing hay and gets between $45.00 and $60.00 a day animal sitting depending on the needs.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Come on dad let him make new friends earn a pay check. He just wants his own free time away from mom and dad. You know you want a strong independent man.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Plus with a job, is the fact he will have a schedule which in itself is a learning experience for a young person having to prioritize work vs wants.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I do not have an issue with him working. He does hay, pet sits, and works hard. To be honest I think he would be better off doing things like that, versus working at a fast food place. He makes about $250 a weekend doing hay and gets between $45.00 and $60.00 a day animal sitting depending on the needs.

Both of my boys did the same growing up on the family farm, when crabs were in they used our commercial license to catch crabs. Early season they would get 4-6 bushels at 150-200 a bushel and be done before lunch. Fall they were selling bagged ear corn on the near by dual lane. Along with helping neighbors when needed.
    Both went to work at 14 working PT at the local Ace Hardware and the interaction and responsibility were a great experience in growing up for both.
    Learning to be and work with the masses is worth the lower paycheck.
    When you let your child make lots of decisions with growing up, Its like playing GTA, you learn to make good decisions or the crack dealer shoots you dead.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I dunno. I will be the skeptic since he already has a job or specifically jobs. He is earning good money, close enough around to help you out if needed, no issues with car/gas/insurance/etc and working in an urban environment, et al. I would try to reason with him and persuade him by showing how much he will NOT make either on paper or a spreadsheet if he learns better that way. When you have real tangible money figures in front of you, it makes sense. If he is looking to meet girls, well just throw that all in the toilet! A dog that has his nose in the air sniffing...ain't going to be talked out of hunting some game.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    My dad lined up mowing jobs, snow shoveling, spring yard clean up and leaf raking in our neighborhood for me starting when I was 8. I always was able to buy most anything I wanted with my money. I soon moved to stocking shelves in a grocery and working in a hardware store. Soon I was also cleaning the office in an engineering company. Two weeks before graduating high school I started in an automotive assembly facility. Of all the things my father did for me, teaching me the value of working was the best learning experience I received. I am surprised at the statistics on the number of kids that graduate from college that have never worked because parents want their kids to "enjoy" their summers. These young adults have an education, but not a bit of experience in the work environment.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Yes.
    You skipped the biggest thing you should be worried about at a fast food job. Pregnancy

:bs: Yea, because there are no girls at school, down the street, at the corner gas station working, on social media....ect......
    If your kid hasn't had a hundred talks by dad by 16 then you have missed the boat by a few years. and a condom bowl near your front door would never need to be refilled....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Come on Dad.....you need to let him go. There is a huge world out there he needs to learn how to navigate.
    And let him work. This is a solid plus believe me.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Come on Dad.....you need to let him go. There is a huge world out there he needs to learn how to navigate.

Not meant to the OP.

This conversation reminds me of letters home from both of my sons while at MCRD Parris Island that came two years apart, saying "Thanks Dad" and in those letters comments made that they were the only one in there platoon that knew how to use a washer and dryer...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not meant to the OP.

This conversation reminds me of letters home from both of my sons while at MCRD Parris Island that came two years apart, saying "Thanks Dad" and in those letters comments made that they were the only one in there platoon that knew how to use a washer and dryer...

My kids could all clean house. The actually knew which end of the sweeper to hold onto.
    My Kids could do the grocery shopping at younger than 16.
    My kids could do the laundry without tearing up the equipment.
    My kids could mow the lawn and shovel snow and wash cars and set up an entire camp site etc etc etc.

You have to be a trainer/a coach/a psychoanalyst/and so much more. But let them go.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    :bs: Yea, because there are no girls at school, down the street, at the corner gas station working, on social media....ect......
    If your kid hasn't had a hundred talks by dad by 16 then you have missed the boat by a few years. and a condom bowl near your front door would never need to be refilled....

No he is socializing with a nice girl from a neighboring FFA chapter Dad approved. Lol

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Your job as a parent is to prepare your children to be productive and responsible adults. You aren't doing them any favors by being overly protective. I have a 14, 16, 17, and 18 year old. Trust me, I understand how difficult it is to let them go. But that is your job as a parent. Holding on and sheltering them is just selfish. Because the only person who benefits is you (and your feelings).

I remember when my oldest (a girl) started working. I fixed up a moped so she could have wheels to work. I was a nervous wreck watching her scoot away for the first time. She was 15. She learned responsibility. She started paying her phone bill, bought her first car, paid for insurance. At the age of 17 (still a minor) she was a shift manager at a local coffee shop with keys to the building. At 18, she bought a nice car, securing a loan by herself. She is more responsible at 18 than most kids in their 20's. I say this to brag a little - shameless pat on the back, but I did that. I let go, allowing her to grow up and be the responsible person she is today. She would not be there if I had held on.

You need to let your son grow up. Its tough to let go, but it really is in his best interest.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I remember the years you are going through now. I always did what I thought was best to listen and advise both my kids. In the end, I just hoped they didn’t do the stuff that I did and didn’t tell my folks about. You sound like a good father. They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. This isn’t legal advice, but he’ll probably do just fine.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Perhaps but still going to run with no fast food Jobs risk outweighs the rewards. He does a lot for the business, so we are going to put him on the payroll, 100% with withholdings, The whole 9 yards. Also looks like he might have something lined up at Rural King. Which I think is a good fit for him. His concerns were he did not think working in the family business would translate into real world experience. I don’t think he really understood some of the things he does have taught him to think under pressure, crisis management etc.

Who knows maybe he can work his way to the Gun Barn at RK( Purple Implied) But seriously I think retail is a good experience especially when dealing with the public at large.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I would never let my kid work in a fast food place these days. Have you seen the people running them? It's a crappy job. He'd be better off working like he is now. Doing physical labor for money, as he gets smarter to the ways of the world he can get money for less physical labor. Grocery store, maybe, fast food? Never.

Top Bottom