$1000 to install a simple shower alcove kit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    So this 'friend' has been telling me he would install a simple 48x 34 4 piece alcove shower kit to clear a $400 loan. Now that I have material in place he wants another $600, telling me charges $1k to 1500 to do this job. I'm more than a little pissed off that he just now tells me this but more to the point I think the price is beyond outrageous. Am I off base?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    So this 'friend' has been telling me he would install a simple 48x 34 4 piece alcove shower kit to clear a $400 loan. Now that I have material in place he wants another $600, telling me charges $1k to 1500 to do this job. I'm more than a little pissed off that he just now tells me this but more to the point I think the price is beyond outrageous. Am I off base?

Did he not say he would install this to clear the $400 loan? I'd just tell him to give you the $400 he owes you and let somebody else do the work and no you are not off base.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Step 1.
    Get the $400. Forget the installation. Now even if he does it to clear the loan I would not trust the workmanship.

Step 2:

OIP.zbmfaHnrs7cIZHwR4RnjMAHaEo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If he gets that kind of money for this he should have paid you off long ago. Stuff his friends ship (:):) in file 13 and collect the $400.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I think I remember a very similar thread of somebody loaning some money to a friend recently, seems we have a common theme going on here. Don’t loan money to friends.

but yeah, just remind him that he said he would do it to clear the loan and that you are not going to give him anymore and that you already got the supplies ready to go. Or hopefully you kept all the receipts for the supplies and return them and then kindly ask for the 400 cash.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Depending on other work, it could get to around $1,000. Mainly if it is retrofit. If it were just a newly framed shower nook, one guy should be able to set the shower, hook up the drain, and install a shower valve with the rough-in for the shower head. One day. Maybe he makes $1,000 a day. But if he makes $200,000 a year, he shouldn't be borrowing $400 off you.

If he is to protect the area, tear out existing shower, install new shower, hook up all plumbing, repair drywall or tile, finish and sand drywall, haul off trash, paint finished work, and add trim as needed, it could go to $1,000-$1,500 labor. It may mean a good day, and part of up to 3 or 4 more days. I did pretty much all listed above, but I was taking out a fiberglass tub/shower and replaced it with a walk-in cast iron enameled pan(32"x60"), then tiled all three sides to the existing bulkhead. I also had to insulate the exterior wall, add blocking for grab bars, and install grab bars when finished. I had about $1,500 in material and $1,200 in labor...….Just for reference.

Top Bottom