• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Do you guys know of a simple straight forward FREE word processor program like MS word?

I had office 365 but my subscription ran out and I'm not paying again because I don't really use anything other than the word processor function.

Thanks in advance.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I like WPS Office and have been using it at home for a couple years. Seems so close to Word, Excel and PowerPoint, I wonder how they get away with it

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Open office

Another vote for this.

Sorta.

The branch called LibreOffice is what I started using after the split.

An important sidenote - most text-searchable pdfs can also be edited in the Draw program. The filesize can be huge (until saved in another format), but it comes in handy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another vote for this.

Sorta.

The branch called LibreOffice is what I started using after the split.

An important sidenote - most text-searchable pdfs can also be edited in the Draw program. The filesize can be huge (until saved in another format), but it comes in handy.

Actually yes, LibreOffice is what I have, not Open Office. I had Open Office on another computer.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My LibreOffice is in a folder called OpenOffice because... that's what it used to be! :)

The cool thing is that they are available in "portable" versions. Actually, maybe they are natively portable. Not really sure. Either way, I like that feature.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My LibreOffice is in a folder called OpenOffice because... that's what it used to be! :)

The cool thing is that they are available in "portable" versions. Actually, maybe they are natively portable. Not really sure. Either way, I like that feature.
    Well I made a liar out of myself. It must have been Libre I had on another computer. I just looked and I do have the Apache Open Office. :ugh:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Having been involved in open development, the different branches can be difficult to keep track of. ;)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I vote again for LibreOffice. Understanding that you asked about Word I've found all of the open versions to be fine. However, the last time I used OpenOffice the Excel counterpart had screwy formulae and syntax that I found annoying and cumbersome and the LibreOffice version is much better.

Also FWIW, the PowerPoint analogs on all of the open source stuff are utterly terrible. So, if you need that at all, your best bet is to keep paying MS. :(

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If your employer utilizes MS Office, there's a right decent chance that you can get into the online / browser versions of said software. It's not the full PC-hosted versions, but for the vast majority of things, that can work too.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If your employer uses Microsoft 365, you may be able to install the applications on your work at home PC for no additional charge. Depending on their license, they can have up to 5 installations of the Office software per license. So you can have it on your desktop at work, your laptop at work, your work at home desktop and your work at home laptop.

I subscribe to Microsoft 365 and I get five installs PLUS a few for family. About $100 a year I think.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If your employer uses Microsoft 365, you may be able to install the applications on your work at home PC for no additional charge. Depending on their license, they can have up to 5 installations of the Office software per license. So you can have it on your desktop at work, your laptop at work, your work at home desktop and your work at home laptop.

I subscribe to Microsoft 365 and I get five installs PLUS a few for family. About $100 a year I think.

Actually you can now install on as many devices as you want and sign in actively up to 5 at one time as well as share with up to 6 others (who get the same benefits):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/microsoft-365-family/cfq7ttc0k5dm?activetab=pivot: overview tab

"If you have an active Microsoft 365 Family subscription, you can share it with up to five members of your household. Each household member you share your subscription with can install Microsoft 365 on all their devices and sign in to five devices at the same time."

Top Bottom