• Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This was in the Funny Pictures thread.

Yes, I see the point and laughed.
    However, nothing I own is worth shooting somebody. If they take the stuff and leave I'll let them go. (Except the guns, but if they can rip the safe out of the wall and carry it, I don't have anything big enough to stop them.)
    For one thing, I can replace the TV and anything else they could easily steal for a lot less money than the retaining fee I'd have to pay an attorney if the prosecutor didn't like the way the shoot looked.
    I don't have a gun to protect my stuff; I have a gun to protect myself and my family.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    6QSC2TR.jpg

giphy.webp

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If somebody is in my house, I'm not going to make any lesser assumptions about their desire to harm me and we have laws on the books so I don't have to.

Now... Outside the house, they're after property and my life isn't at risk, so I'm more inclined to agree with you. I once caught a guy trying to break into my truck to presumably steal a $100 radio. I didn't shoot him, or even draw. I yelled at him through the window and he (very calmly, which was creepy) left and that was that. FWIW, FWPD never bothered to show up to the call so I'm glad that's how it went...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I agree, maxwelhse.
    A little background...
    The stuff likely to be stolen is in one part of the house; the people are in another. There is a hallway/chokepoint the perpetrators must go through to reach the people. Anyone entering that chokepoint is "a problem to be solved" and appropriate solutions will be applied.
    I am lucky to have a floor plan which allows easy defense. When I move, I will look for a house with an eye to defending it rather than trust to luck.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    My home is not locked for my protection. It is for anyone who thinks they are going to break in.

I have a 4 year old and a newborn in my home. You break into my home in the middle of the night you are leaving in a Bag period. Am I suppose to assume your intentions??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

However, nothing I own is worth shooting somebody. If they take the stuff and leave I'll let them go. (Except the guns, but if they can rip the safe out of the wall and carry it, I don't have anything big enough to stop them.)
    For one thing, I can replace the TV and anything else they could easily steal for a lot less money than the retaining fee I'd have to pay an attorney if the prosecutor didn't like the way the shoot looked.
    I don't have a gun to protect my stuff; I have a gun to protect myself and my family.

If somebody is brazen/stupid enough to break into my home and I can not completely disable them with a bludgeon then yeah they are going down.
    Me thinks you have not paid much attention to the mindset of these asshats of late. They put no value on life and that includes yours and mine. It is "MY" home. If you violate that sanctity I will deal with you at what ever level needed so as you will never do that again. To "Allow" this to happen (if they know you allowed it) you will be labeled a soft target and then what.

The mere thought of why you have a gun is yours of course but man think about what you just stated. We have to have boundary's. It is not about stuff. It is about your castle. "YOUR" safe place.

I have much respect for about everything you post. Well reasoned and on point. Save this one.

These are just my thoughts. And they are formed from years of dealing with :poop: heads and miscreants. Knowing how they think and what they are capable of.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I agree, maxwelhse.
    A little background...
    The stuff likely to be stolen is in one part of the house; the people are in another. There is a hallway/chokepoint the perpetrators must go through to reach the people. Anyone entering that chokepoint is "a problem to be solved" and appropriate solutions will be applied.
    I am lucky to have a floor plan which allows easy defense. When I move, I will look for a house with an eye to defending it rather than trust to luck.

I would look at that as a tactical advantage and exploit it to the fullest potential for my benefit. Waiting around until the invader decides it's time to unlock the door to let his 20 buddies in, or set my house on fire on the way out to cover his tracks, isn't really part of my plan.

I'm going with Clint Smith on this one: If a big old space ship comes down in my front yard, ramp comes down, and this big lizard SOB walks off with a ray gun in his hand, I'm gonna ask him one time to put the ray gun down. If he don't, I'm shooting him with a buffalo gun.

I've taken that quote out of context a little (because he's used it in many contexts) but the point is that you don't know anyone's intentions based on anything other than what they're showing you at the time. If someone uninvited is in my house, their intentions for my safety and well being are bad. That's all the information I need to solve my problem of what to do next. Outside the house (short of someone who is obviously armed), I'd be more inclined to wait for further evidence before acting.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Outside my home and you’re attempting to take my stuff is one thing that I wouldn’t necessarily risk trying to use deadly force to prevent but once you enter the threshold of my home where my family resides my intention will solely be to prevent giving you the potential possibility of of doing serious harm.

Bottom line is you breach my threshold be prepared to encounter maximum resistance.

I will not give anyone the benefit of the doubt that they would not be inclined to harm me and my family.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Bottom line is you breach my threshold be prepared to encounter maximum resistance.

I will not give anyone the benefit of the doubt that they would not be inclined to harm me and my family.

Oh, come on. You need to give them space to destroy. Or something like that...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, guys, here's the deal...

When the alarm goes off, I will take a defensive position covering the chokepoint any home invaders will have to come through to get to me and mine.
    The wife and/or the alarm company will notify the police of burglary in progress. I will also activate the car alarms to add to the confusion of the perpetrators.
    If the sirens and horns cause them to leave, fine.
    If they attempt to get to me or my family, the choke point is covered and they will be met with extreme prejudice.

That's the plan. I have a plan because I believe that if you don't know what you're going to do when someone breaks in, when someone breaks in, you won't know what to do.

If unexpected things happen, the plan may change, but this is the starting point.

If I have to shoot, I will stop the threat, but I won't shoot anyone I don't have to.
    YMMV

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The locks on my doors are for your protection, not mine.

Context is everything. 3AM forced entry? Assume the worst. 3PM neighbor kid getting a drink of water? Remind him to knock, help him reach a cup in the cabinet.

I don't want to hurt anyone either. But **** me if I'm going to wait around find out if it is my stuff our my family they are after.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't plan on shooting anyone that I don't have to either.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Someone entering your home is fair game. If they bust in and you're there holding a gun, and they don't retreat, they're there to do you harm. If you catch them inside the house, you'll have to be in fear for your life. That's a stretch if you shoot while they have your tv in their hands. That is the law, emotions aside.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Someone entering your home is fair game. If they bust in and you're there holding a gun, and they don't retreat, they're there to do you harm. If you catch them inside the house, you'll have to be in fear for your life. That's a stretch if you shoot while they have your tv in your hands. That is the law, emotions aside.
    That's an interesting point. I have never thought of that before.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute

I ain't shooting over my stuff. I am shooting because a person(?) entered my castle without permission. End of story.

Top Bottom