Calling tips in to LEO question / feedback (not a current crazy events thread)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    First of all, I have been a firm supporter of LEO for some time.

A couple of months ago I saw something I thought was sketchy, a guy in a pickup full of catalytic converters (harvesting has been an issue here from what I have heard) appeared to be selling them to someone else in a parking lot. I called it into dispatch, they seemed to be way more interested in who I was, DOB, address, etc, etc.

I asked if all this was really necessary to call in a tip, he said "have a nice day" then hung up on me.

Not sure if this is par for the course but doesn't make me want to call anything in. Had a talk with another gun guy (former LEO) that had a similar experience.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've always taken that to mean that since you're a witness you are now part of the investigation and therefore they need to gather some basic evidence about you as well. I wouldn't sweat it and I haven't in the past when I've called things in (like watching a B&E on a neighbor's house in real time). I've never heard back about any of those "things" so I guess they didn't need me.

Hanging up on you is kind of a richard move though... Not sure what to make of that bit. They could have decided that was you invoking your right to remain silent and obliged you? :dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    First of all, I have been a firm supporter of LEO for some time.

A couple of months ago I saw something I thought was sketchy, a guy in a pickup full of catalytic converters (harvesting has been an issue here from what I have heard) appeared to be selling them to someone else in a parking lot. I called it into dispatch, they seemed to be way more interested in who I was, DOB, address, etc, etc.

I asked if all this was really necessary to call in a tip, he said "have a nice day" then hung up on me.

Not sure if this is par for the course but doesn't make me want to call anything in. Had a talk with another gun guy (former LEO) that had a similar experience.

I'm assuming "dispatch" means you called a non-emergency number , not 911.

As to, "he said 'have a nice day' then hung up on me." I guess he got all the information he needed / wanted. :dunno:

Maybe ask their id number and be transferred to a supervisor?
    Am I being detained?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do we care about false reports or don't we?

Are the cops supposed to roll up on a guy when the witness won't even stand behind the report?

Also, an anonymous tip versus being able to identify the tipster goes to whether probable cause exists. While an anonymous tip can, in some circumstances, provide probable cause, it helps if the witness identifies themselves, especially if what is being reported is not a direct witnessing of a crime, and a guy driving around with catalytic converters is circumstantial evidence, but not direct evidence of a crime.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess I don't understand why one wouldn't provide that information, if one were truly concerned about reporting a possible crime (albeit with circumstantial evidence). Personally I wouldn't have given it a second thought. After all, I was the one calling the police. I guess my level of paranoia isn't up to INGO standards. :dunno:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I guess I don't understand why one wouldn't provide that information, if one were truly concerned about reporting a possible crime (albeit with circumstantial evidence). Personally I wouldn't have given it a second thought. After all, I was the one calling the police. I guess my level of paranoia isn't up to INGO standards. :dunno:
    Because then your name becomes part of the public record. In this day and age when everyone is looking to screw everyone else over who wants to be part of any official reports?
    Also a cop told me once that if you call into 911 and give your name or info then it will always be associated with a theft, or murder, or carjacking. When they run your name those cases will come up.
    I'm not risking that.
    I'm already labeled a deplorable for having an LTCH. Those pop up too when police run your plates or ID and that is rediculous too imo

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because then your name becomes part of the public record. In this day and age when everyone is looking to screw everyone else over who wants to be part of any official reports?
    Also a cop told me once that if you call into 911 and give your name or info then it will always be associated with a theft, or murder, or carjacking. When they run your name those cases will come up.
    I'm not risking that.
    I'm already labeled a deplorable for having an LTCH. Those pop up too when police run your plates or ID and that is rediculous too imo

So the answer is "snitches get stitches" and just STFU? Not for me it isn't. And I'm sorry, but I'm calling :bs: on whatever cop told you that. I've called 911 a few times, and it's never caused me any issues, even when going through extensive background checks for Federal employment.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not risking that.

Yeah...I'm going to need this verified.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So the answer is "snitches get stitches" and just STFU? Not for me it isn't. And I'm sorry, but I'm calling :bs: on whatever cop told you that. I've called 911 a few times, and it's never caused me any issues, even when going through extensive background checks for Federal employment.

IKR.

And, at the same time INGO is telling some communities they need to clean up their gang / drug / murder problem... just don't talk to the police.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm not risking that.

Even if that's true, so what? If someone asked me if I called in an s-bag doing something s-baggerish I'd proudly tell them I did. If whatever entity "runs" me has a beef with it, I don't need them in my life and frankly I'd be happy to avoid them.

The only thing I can tell you for certain will happen (in my past experience anyhow), if you call on a cell, is that your number will get associated to your name and address from that point forward... just like it was 30 years ago when we all had land lines. No big deal, IMO.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah...I'm going to need this verified.
    It's complete BS.
    It does NOT come up when running a license plate.

When a license plate is run, it returns with the name and driver's license number of the registered owner along with vehicle related info. If you run the drivers license number from that, it will NOT show a LTCH.

It will return a LTCH if a drivers license is run by name and date of birth, but it is kind of two different transactions/screens from above.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's complete BS.
    Yeah I've heard cops that I dont know tell me lots of things on the internet are complete BS, until its later revealed they were true.
    I'm not taking any chances.
    If they absolutely need me to testify to build their case they have the number and they can call back and ask.
    As if everything isn't recorded and accessible to investigators anyways.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It does NOT come up when running a license plate.

When a license plate is run, it returns with the name and driver's license number of the registered owner along with vehicle related info. If you run the drivers license number from that, it will NOT show a LTCH.

It will return a LTCH if a drivers license is run by name and date of birth, but it is kind of two different transactions/screens from above.
    maybe that's just your department

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah I've heard cops that I dont know tell me lots of things on the internet are complete BS, until its later revealed they were true.
    I'm not taking any chances.
    If they absolutely need me to testify to build their case they have the number and they can call back and ask.
    As if everything isn't recorded and accessible to investigators anyways.

C'mon TT. Frankly I was a little surprised at your response. I thought you were all about working with the cops and I know you've been critical of the whole "snitches get stitches" attitudes from communities that refuse to work with the police, so what's up with that?

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    maybe that's just your department

That is how the state system works.

Departments may have their own CAD/RMS systems, but they all talk to the state for their data.

The DQ and KQ screens using a OLN do not have the ability to query the Aries Portal for LTCH data.

Top Bottom