• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What's the difference?

Someone moves a camping trailer on your ground that's posted no trespassing, but claims it's their ground. Surveyor makes survey and it's clearly not. Are they squatters or trespassers at this point?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Find me a statute that refers to "squatters".

They are trespassers.

The only time I've heard "squatters" mentioned was in cases involving abandoned dwellings in which people had taken up residence, but maybe that wasn't the correct use of the term either. I seem to recall though that it was difficult to get people to move out once they had established residence there. And I may be totally off base, but I was thinking it wasn't as simple as trespassing them after a certain amount of time had passed. I don't think that applies in Leadeye's situation at any rate.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yes, the same guy with the "electrical easement". The surveyors were here today and said his trailer has been on our ground all along.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The only time I've heard "squatters" mentioned was in cases involving abandoned dwellings in which people had taken up residence, but maybe that wasn't the correct use of the term either. I seem to recall though that it was difficult to get people to move out once they had established residence there. And I may be totally off base, but I was thinking it wasn't as simple as trespassing them after a certain amount of time had passed. I don't think that applies in Leadeye's situation at any rate.

The trailer has been there about 6 months but the occupant said it was his ground. Without a recent survey I had to take his word for it until I could get the survey completed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, the same guy with the "electrical easement". The surveyors were here today and said his trailer has been on our ground all along.
    I seem to recall that you have some fairly heavy excavating equipment, don't you? It would be a pity if there were some sort of "accident" because the trailer was too close to that equipment. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The trailer has been there about 6 months but the occupant said it was his ground. Without a recent survey I had to take his word for it until I could get the survey completed.

Sounds like you now have pretty solid legal ground to stand on to have it removed.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I'm not sure what answer you're looking for since it appears you have what you need, but I think I'd consider consulting a local attorney to help you proceed with the next steps. I'm imagining some sort of letter, followed by some sort of waiting period, followed by a sheriff with a shotgun. I just don't think you can get to C without starting at A.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I seem to recall that you have some fairly heavy excavating equipment, don't you? It would be a pity if there were some sort of "accident" because the trailer was too close to that equipment. ;)

That's gHitch, next county over. He could dig to China if he wanted to.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm not sure what answer you're looking for since it appears you have what you need, but I think I'd consider consulting a local attorney to help you proceed with the next steps. I'm imagining some sort of letter, followed by some sort of waiting period, followed by a sheriff with a shotgun. I just don't think you can get to C without starting at A.

Staying out of trouble and getting the guy to move on. That's what I'm after.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Dealt with this a couple of years ago with a family member. Had some unwelcome guests "move in" and he could not get them to leave. Local LEO not helpful, as these people claimed legal residence, and had their mail forwarded there.

My only advice: get them off the property by any means post haste.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Sounds like starting with an attorney is probably the best way to at least stay out of trouble. I suppose you could call up the LEO and see what they say?

I have to confess that if all of this starts sounds like months of effort and thousands of dollars, I think I'd rather spend those months and dollars defending myself in the possibility of them suing me for dragging their garbage off of my land than wait it out while they make meth or whatever it is they're doing on your property. I'd say CM's open carry party is a more sensible way to start down that road...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's gHitch, next county over. He could dig to China if he wanted to.

Well, if gHitch could help, it sounds like you could move them to China. Just sayin. LOL

Just spitballing, but if its a travel trailer and easy to move, I wonder about having it towed to an impound yard since its on your property and you want it gone? Whats the difference between that trailer and say, an old car that somebody parked on your property without permission?

How about do you know anyone with lots of dirt and a steady stream of dump trucks? Just completely surround the trailer (except the tongue of course in case he chose to move it voluntarily.) with 10' high birms of dirt. :):Make it clear that eventually the front of the trailer will also be filled in, making it nearly impossible to get in and out of.

*sigh* if only it were that easy. I'm sure its not.

Top Bottom