What to do with a probably ruined (by mice) RV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On our country property my parents put a nice RV to use. It was nice, some years ago.

However, they never used it much and being all alone out in the country the mice infested it and took their toll. Now, it is probably Mouseville. It hasn't moved in several years and the tires are all flat and probably ruined.

I will need it gone eventually. Is this something I could tow somewhere for scrap? Would anyone want to pay anything for it? Or would someone take it away for free and fix it up themselves?

I'll see if I can attach a picture of it from out at the pond:

IMG_2930.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Before I scrapped it I would have somebody who knows RVs look at it. The exterior looks to be in good shape and it might not cost as much as you think to fix it up.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Someone will always take something for free. I had a dude pick up an 8 foot iron pipe, encased in 100lbs of concrete, in under an hour once.

That's my vote. Scrapping it wouldn't be worth your effort if the tires are all trash, IMO.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    As long as it hasn't had any leaks to rot out the shell frame, it can be fixed up rather cheap. Someone would be interested in it, if only to park somewhere like you have.

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    Do you have the title? It seems like even without a title a beat up rv will bring in a few hundred. But you could be looking at more with a title. I was on the hunt for one a few months ago and would’ve bought one that didn’t have leaks and just needed interior remodel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Before I scrapped it I would have somebody who knows RVs look at it. The exterior looks to be in good shape and it might not cost as much as you think to fix it up.

How do I find someone who knows RVs? - Thanks!

Someone will always take something for free. I had a dude pick up an 8 foot iron pipe, encased in 100lbs of concrete, in under an hour once.

That's my vote. Scrapping it wouldn't be worth your effort if the tires are all trash, IMO.

I agree with someone taking it for free. However, IF I could spend $200 on some cheap used tires and scrap it for even $600, I'm trying to buy a used truck and could use all the money I can get. However, "come take free stuff" is a good last ditch.

Have you even tried to air up the tires.

Dude, they have been flat for at least three (3) years, probably more. Even if they would fill up I wouldn't feel safe on the road. However, with your question I will try to see what can be done if anything.

As long as it hasn't had any leaks to rot out the shell frame, it can be fixed up rather cheap. Someone would be interested in it, if only to park somewhere like you have.

I don't know about leaks. Some of the windows have been open for years, slightly to vent, but open.

Tannerite

Dude, While I do indeed have tannerite (All hail the lord of BOOM!) I have no wish to turn a thing that can be taken away for whatever ends to be blown into 10,000 things that need to be picked up.

Unless you're willing to clean up...:dunno:

Regards,

Doug

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I agree with someone taking it for free. However, IF I could spend $200 on some cheap used tires and scrap it for even $600, I'm trying to buy a used truck and could use all the money I can get. However, "come take free stuff" is a good last ditch.

I'd go about this in the opposite direction then. List it for sale for $800, be willing to accept $400, and see what happens. You can give it away for nothing any time you want.

No way I'd personally invest any extra time or money into it. People who will be attracted to buying it will be in the market for junk and want to pay the junk price for it. May as well give them what they want without sweating to do it.

To CM's point, you'd be shocked just how old and screwed up a tire can be and it will still take and hold at least "some" pressure (15-20 psi will get it rolling). All you're looking for is off of your property and a picture with it not stuck in the ground is worth the effort to try to take.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

How do I find someone who knows RVs? - Thanks!

Dude, they have been flat for at least three (3) years, probably more. Even if they would fill up I wouldn't feel safe on the road. However, with your question I will try to see what can be done if anything.

I don't know about leaks. Some of the windows have been open for years, slightly to vent, but open.

Dude, While I do indeed have tannerite (All hail the lord of BOOM!) I have no wish to turn a thing that can be taken away for whatever ends to be blown into 10,000 things that need to be picked up.

Unless you're willing to clean up...:dunno:

Regards,

Doug

Put a jack under the axle and get the wheel off the ground. Then put the air to it from a portable compressor. You might make it look just a bit more enticing if it is up and able to roll. Its some work but probable worth it.

Top Bottom