• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Suddenly all the emails from INGO are going into the Junk Mail folder on my ipad. Normally, for years now, they have gone into my Inbox. This means they don't ever show up on my computer now unless I open webmail on my ipad and mark all INGO emails as Not Spam. This moves them to my ipad Inbox and then my computer pulls them down from the server.

My provider is charter/spectrum. Does this mean charter/spectrum changed their filters or is there something I can do about this in settings or something?
    I already added "administrator@ingunowners.com" to my contacts and that does not seem to help.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Either the e-mail provider or the client could be filtering it. Start with the client. Look for a whitelist. Or try long pressing on a message in the junk mail folder and see if there is an option to whitelist or mark it as not junk. Your provider should also have a whitelist or something similar. It sounds like you may have already found it by telling it those things are not junk but keep looking.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The only instructions I have found say to add the sender to my contacts list. I have done this and it does not stop INGO emails from going to the Junk Mail folder.

Like I said, this is new behavior just in the last two days and I have changed nothing on the client side. To me that indicates the provider changed something - most likely their filters or possibly they are specifically targeting some senders.

When I go to the ipad Junk Mail folder I can mark the messages as Not Spam. That only works for those messages. When I receive more messages from INGO they go into the same Junk Mail folder. This means I have to check the Junk Mail folder on the ipad any time I want to get emails from INGO. The INGO emails never get to my computer at all anymore unless I first go to the ipad and do that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not tech savvy. Does all your email get stopped by your ipad before it gets to your email account? (Not marked as spam, just "held" by the ipad until you release it to your (computer?). That would annoy the crap outta me.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Not all mail gets held up at the ipad - only mail that somehow gets deemed as Junk Mail. All "good" mail goes through and ends up on the computer.

I might have found the solution. I don't think it is fixable on the ipad client or my computer client but I went to webmail at "spectrum.net" (which I never use) and I was able to enter "administrator@ingunowners.com" as a good address. I am hoping this might fix it. I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to enter all email addresses there that I care about so spectrum doesn't start deciding they are bad someday. I guess I will have to do that - IF this works for INGO emails.

By the way - spectrum sucks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not all mail gets held up at the ipad - only mail that somehow gets deemed as Junk Mail. All "good" mail goes through and ends up on the computer.

I might have found the solution. I don't think it is fixable on the ipad client or my computer client but I went to webmail at "spectrum.net" (which I never use) and I was able to enter "administrator@ingunowners.com" as a good address. I am hoping this might fix it. I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to enter all email addresses there that I care about so spectrum doesn't start deciding they are bad someday. I guess I will have to do that - IF this works for INGO emails.

By the way - spectrum sucks.

All forms of telecommunications are a mystery to me. As a part of my job I have to FTP files to different entities and most of it is invisible to me. I submit a mainframe job (I'm comfortable with mainframes - PC's and such, not so much!) and it seems to work, but sometimes they get "lost" along the way.... They're still there, but it takes awhile to find them. Like Daniel Boone once said (paraphrasing) "I ain't never been lost. But I was a might bewildered for a couple of days one time."

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

That spectrum link is precisely what I did. Just waiting and hoping for it to take effect.

I think the problem has to be at the spectrum end since the behavior is very recent (two days now) and the new behavior is the same on ipad email and webmail at spectrum.net.
    I'm thinking they modified their filters, probably targeting firearms and conservatives.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    What client are you using?

Edit: and is it a real iPad or just a tablet?

On the real ipad and real iphone I use the native email app that comes on it - which appears to web based running on an instance of Safari.
    Old computer (my favorite for email) using Outlook Express or webmail when I have to on Mozilla Firefox.
    Other computer using Mozilla Thunderbird - which I don't use much.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not the same thing but every time I log in now I get this message: "Invalid Redirect URL (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/index.php)"

I need to click on INGO and it logs me in but not automatically.

Regards,

Doug

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    This appears to be fixed now so at some point overnight the change took effect.

I had to go to the provider webmail site, in this case spectrum.net, and add "administrator@ingunowners.com" as a "good" sender.

This doesn't address the issue of why INGO suddenly became a "bad" sender in spectrum's view in the first place but at least I get my emails now so I am happy about that.
    Spectrum doesn't tell people like me (customers) when they make changes so we just have to deal with the results of the changes as they appear.
    So now I have to go make similar entries for other senders that have been put in Junk Mail, which includes some friends and my stockbroker. I'll also have to monitor the Junk Mail folder to catch any others. Thanks spectrum.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This appears to be fixed now so at some point overnight the change took effect.

I had to go to the provider webmail site, in this case spectrum.net, and add "administrator@ingunowners.com" as a "good" sender.

This doesn't address the issue of why INGO suddenly became a "bad" sender in spectrum's view in the first place but at least I get my emails now so I am happy about that.
    Spectrum doesn't tell people like me (customers) when they make changes so we just have to deal with the results of the changes as they appear.
    So now I have to go make similar entries for other senders that have been put in Junk Mail, which includes some friends and my stockbroker. I'll also have to monitor the Junk Mail folder to catch any others. Thanks spectrum.

Junk mail filtering can be both signature and heuristics, etc based. Basically it can be dynamic and based on telemetry. Nothing may have changed, or something as little as an IP address somewhere along the way changed. I doubt there's anything major changed that "caused" it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Junk mail filtering can be both signature and heuristics, etc based. Basically it can be dynamic and based on telemetry. Nothing may have changed, or something as little as an IP address somewhere along the way changed. I doubt there's anything major changed that "caused" it.

Got me. All I know is I suddenly started getting a lot more of my emails going to the Junk Mail folder after years of no such issues.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It could be something as simple as a new version of their mail server or filtering software was installed. It did things differently or their old filters got cleared so it started over again.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It could be something as simple as a new version of their mail server or filtering software was installed. It did things differently or their old filters got cleared so it started over again.

Yes, something like that seems likely. The end result was more intrusive than desirable though. I am happy that they filter emails and remove spam but what else are they removing? No filters will be perfect, it is just the nature of the beast.

Top Bottom