• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A little over a week ago, I got a knock on my door at 3:30am.
    It was a neighbor telling me my house was on fire.

He was right. The entire attic was engulfed when his knock woke me.
    There was no fire inside the house, at least not before I answered the door.
    It was entirely contained to the attic, but had stared rolling out of the soffit in the back of the house.

The fire department inspector said it was accidental, but electrical in nature.
    He also said he thought the fire started OUTSIDE the house, in the transmission wires leading from the pole to my house.
    There are 2 areas of the lines that are void of viable insulation, and obviously overheated.

There were high winds that night, so my insurance company said they'll likely have to fight the electric company over liability, but I will be made whole one way or the other.
    I lost a good bit of property, but nothing that can't be replaced.
    It appears I will get a freshly rebuilt house, so at least I won't be out there.

My guns were all in safes, and the safes didn't even get wet.
    Lucky for me, but my brother took my guns to his place for storage, since my house is unlivable.

I have a friend that has a house he's letting me stay in, so I don't need to spend months in a hotel.
    My entire life is now in boxes, and I have not a clue where most everything is.
    I only know, it's in a box, either in the garage or in a rental storage trailer. Finding anything is going to be a crap-shoot for the next few weeks.

I know where most of my tools are, at least the ones that didn't get drowned by the fire department.
    Those will be repaired or replaced as well.

The morning of the fire, the Red Cross was on my doorstep before dawn.
    Before they left, they left me with a pamphlet of information on where to receive help from food to lodging, clothing...
    They also left me a pre-paid credit card with $295 on it for lodging and food for the first couple of days.

Later the same day, I got a visit from a neighbor that I'd never met.
    Her and her husband showed up on my doorstep asking how they could help a fellow veteran.
    I have no idea how she knew I was a veteran, but she did.
    She asked me for my phone number, telling me that she had taken it upon herself to contact the D.A.V. on my behalf.
    The D.A.V. showed up the same day with a Kroger gift card loaded with $200 for food.

The same neighbor then invited me down the street for dinner at her neighbors house.
    I accepted, and consequently I've met 4 additional veterans that live in the neighborhood.
    They have cookouts 4-5 nights a week.

They are 2nd amendment advocates, and love to discuss firearms.
    It's been about 10 days or so since the fire, and I bet I've been to 6 or 8 cookouts.
    I'm actually typing this from one of them now.
    Just got a sample of dinner.
    It's a slow-roasted Cajun chicken that is just plain fantastic.

I just lost my house, for the most part, but I'm counting my blessings.
    Nice to be back in touch with Ingo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This makers me smile in that there are still good solid folks out there ready to step up.

Keep us apprised as to anything we may be able to help you with as you recover.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Glad to hear that, most importantly, you are ok! Like CM stated above, its extremely nice to hear about the support from your neighbors and it sounds like you've made some great friends!

Good luck in getting rebuilt

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Glad to hear you are okay and have started the process to get back on you feet. Good luck and don't feel shy about asking for help.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This makers me smile in that there are still good solid folks out there ready to step up.

Keep us apprised as to anything we may be able to help you with as you recover.

I appreciate that CM, but I have been inundated with more offers for help than I can possibly use.
    I had a very young kid, to me anyway, stop by and said he read about the fire on the neighborhood Facebook page. I didn't even know there was a neighborhood Facebook page.
    He asked what he could do to help. I told him we had so many people helping at that moment that we were running into each other.

My faith in humanity has been bolstered, at least for the time being.
    I am seriously taken aback over the outpouring of offers for help, from every direction.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow Mgderf! So sorry to hear this happened to you, but glad that you have a wealth of friends (some you didn't even know until now) surrounding you. Prayers for a full recovery of everything!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Bad deal but it sounds like everything is going to work out. Your insurance should take care of everything.
    In addition to your house and contents, you should have additional living expense that will take care of any increased costs for food, shelter, etc.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When I hear stories like this it seems bittersweet. We often hear how helpful neighbors are in a time of crisis and how much we have in common with them but its sad we didn't already know them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Glad you are mostly whole and the damage was contained to the house for the most part. That is amazing. But the best part is nobody was hurt.

And finding new friends in the neighborhood is a bonus.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sounds like you have some really good neighbors. I am glad no one was injured and it sounds like you have a solid outlook. As others have said, let us know if any help is needed. Also, when things are settled, post what help, Red Cross, D.A.V., was most helpful and barring direct help, maybe we can make donations to the organisations that serve well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Glad to hear that even though you have suffered a loss it has illuminated a world of thoughtful support.:)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Glad everyone is ok and losses can be replaced. This is on my short list of things I can't control that can wreck your life.

I am profoundly encouraged by the outpouring of aid you received in a short time seemingly without request. I can't quite get over it!

I've known you around these parts for a lot of years, if the OG and I can help, just drop us a line.

John & Crystal

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nothing good happens after 2am, eh?

I too am glad to hear of all of the help you’re getting offers for. In a situation like this, it sure seems like that ought to soften the blow. Prayers for a quick recovery.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Good to hear that you are safe. It is always nice to know there are neighbors you can count on when you need them the most.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Glad to hear you and your family are okay. Don’t be too quick to make a complete settlement for contents with your insurance company. You will think of things months, even years after, that you didn’t realize you lost in the fire.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow, that's about the most "benign" house fire I've heard of, if you can call having your life upended for several months "benign." As a firefighter I have been to many housefires, and the usual outcome is massively devastating. Maybe it is "only stuff" but when people lose all their possession in a house fire, the emotional effect is brutal. Indeed count your blessings and it's great to read about all the help you received.

Best wishes on rebuilding your house and your life.

Top Bottom