• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Someone went through my car, and took the oddest stuff. I typically park behind my house and out of view from the street. This Saturday I wanted to clear the weeds from the driveway cracks where I normally park, so I moved my car to the front of the drive. Spent the next couple hours sweating through the yard work. Didn't have a reason to leave the house that evening or Sunday so the car stayed there. I must not have locked it when I "temporarily" moved it so it apparently sat unlocked until this morning.

Sometime during that period someone got into the car. No damage, not too much amiss, but a small, odd assortment of stuff is gone. From the open console area they took a business card folder, an eyeglass cleaning cloth, and the key card for the building where my offices are, but left a pricey Swiss Army Cyber Tool M model sitting right next to that stuff. Nothing gone from the closed console. Glove box - cheap folding knife taken but a compact pair of Steiner binoculars were left. Backseat had a collection of lightweight jackets, window squeegee, etc but the only thing taken was a P100 neoprene mask in a ziplock package. And though the hatch area had a large duffel of general gear like jumper cables, shovel, etc. as well as my range bag, nothing seems to be missing from there.

Obviously I feel stupid for forgetting the car was unlocked. The worst thing lost is the key card. It has a sticker on it with my company's name and address but it only access the large multi-tenant building, not our office unit. Notified management who was understanding.

Should I be insulted they left all my music CDs?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Had a similar experience several years ago. I lived in a subdivision and had a 1 lane driveway leading to the 1 car garage. At the street, the driveway was double width for the length of a parking space. I parked my car there and this meant the back end of the car was about 2 feet from the road.

I must not have locked it one night and I came out to find the center console open. Loose change was missing. Nothing else seemed amiss. What I did not remember until later was that I had a soft briefcase in the back seat. It kinda looked like a laptop bag. I guess they thought they made a score.

Nope. I used to teach classes for Indiana Wesleyan and the bag was a free one they gave me which was pretty inexpensive. Inside? A textbook and a workbook for "Business Ethics".

That subdivision had a pretty well established reputation for petty crime (South Haven, near Portage), and in the 15 years we lived there, that was the only issue we ever had.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Same thing happened when I still lived with my parents ages ago. The only vehicle that wasn't touched was mine... because I kept my doors locked. My parents had to learn to keep their house locked the hard way too.

It's annoying, but probably nothing. Likely just some kids out looking for cash, cigs, whatever out of unsecured cars.

Should I be insulted they left all my music CDs?

I'm Cpt. Physical Media and I don't even keep real CDs in my car anymore. Maybe they thought you were some sort of new era Amish who shuns technology past 2000 and just felt bad for you at that point and left?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm Cpt. Physical Media and I don't even keep real CDs in my car anymore. Maybe they thought you were some sort of new era Amish who shuns technology past 2000 and just felt bad for you at that point and left?

Admittedly a similar thing happened to me probably 20 years ago. They left my Motorolla brick style mobile phone then as well.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Admittedly a similar thing happened to me probably 20 years ago. They left my Motorolla brick style mobile phone then as well.

Sounds like you're a professional level "I'll wait until this technology is proven" kind of guy and I'm just an amateur. I've often called myself an accidental hipster because all of the things I've always liked and done are starting to become cool again.

I was still carrying a flip phone until disturbingly recently and I guess Adele made some music video where she used one and suddenly my phone was cool for the first time since about 1997 and flip phone prices on eBay went nuts for a few weeks.

Anyhow... I agree with OurDee on this one, but... I don't think you have a situation going on requiring anything more than locked car doors to fix.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Were the CDs Slim Whitman and The Bee Gees?

Mostly bluegrass and classic jazz. Though I do have a Slim Whitman LP somewhere. Grandparents loved him and when they were selling a greatest hits collection on tv in the 1980s, my grandmother got one for each of the grandkids.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We learned to stop locking our cars except in given locations/situations. Thieves will bust a window, pop the lock (the new way in and yes it happened to us at the Mod Christmas dinner 2 years ago) if they see something that makes the effort worth while.

Loosing some loose change is nothing next to a window or the lock.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a friend who lives just north of Washington St on the east side some blocks in from I-465.
    His truck was unlocked sitting in front of his house, and they broke his window anyway to get in and steal his tools.
    Really added insult to injury.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have a friend who lives just north of Washington St on the east side some blocks in from I-465.
    His truck was unlocked sitting in front of his house, and they broke his window anyway to get in and steal his tools.
    Really added insult to injury.

I've heard this same story from several convertible owners. Slit the top to gain access to an unlocked vehicle. :facepalm:

My Jeep is the only vehicle I own that has never been locked for exactly that reason. I do have a pistol safe bolted into it which very much is locked though.

Anyhow, I get both sides of this argument and which camp I fall into depends entirely on the vehicle and it's contents at that particular moment.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    The only car I have had where anyone broke into it was my Chevy HHR. The first time it happened, was Halloween. We went to a party and stayed over night at their house. I came back the next day and found all the cables to charge my iPod and my phone were coiled up nicely on my passenger seat. They got my iPod which was in the glove box, and my power inverter that I used on log trips to charge my laptop for work. I figured out after that the wiring harness was going bad, and the doors didn't always lock using the remote.

The second time I was up in Detroit for work. I stayed downtown because that was where my office was. The hotel used a secure parking garage. Well, it turns out it wasn't so secure. Someone got in and broke into half a dozen cars by smashing the windows out. They left the check book, they left the American Express card, in fact nothing was taken from my car. The other cars had GPS units in them that were stolen. They think it might have been due to the phone holder I used at the time. Though when I turned the car over to the valet, that was stuffed under the seat out of sight. The hotel did replace my window at no cost to me.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Had a similar experience several years ago. I lived in a subdivision and had a 1 lane driveway leading to the 1 car garage. At the street, the driveway was double width for the length of a parking space. I parked my car there and this meant the back end of the car was about 2 feet from the road.

I must not have locked it one night and I came out to find the center console open. Loose change was missing. Nothing else seemed amiss. What I did not remember until later was that I had a soft briefcase in the back seat. It kinda looked like a laptop bag. I guess they thought they made a score.

Nope. I used to teach classes for Indiana Wesleyan and the bag was a free one they gave me which was pretty inexpensive. Inside? A textbook and a workbook for "Business Ethics".

That subdivision had a pretty well established reputation for petty crime (South Haven, near Portage), and in the 15 years we lived there, that was the only issue we ever had.

$10 says it was someone from Pullman.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear that happened to you, thieves suck! Thankfully I've only had 1 vehicle broken into. The thief took my cd player and picked out every quarter, dime, and nickel from the ash tray. But he was kind enough to leave the pennies behind :rolleyes:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, thieves suck. Sorry to hear about your break in.

I had a 74 Nova back in High School (85) and it was broken into in the Cherry Tree parking lot on the East Side one night late when I went to watch a movie with some friends. Came out and the driver's side window was busted out, my nice stereo system and all of my CD's were gone.

I hate thieves... :xmad:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would almost guarantee that if the car was locked nothing would have happened. Just some miscreant waste trying the doors of cars they pass. I never leave anything of value in view and rarely in the car at all.

Top Bottom