Which one of you was it? Lake County patriot!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Vigilante draws gun to defend Lake County war memorial, police say

As headlines swirl about armed vigilantes making a showing at protests across the country, Lake County sheriff's police said they responded to a war memorial this weekend to find one armed man reportedly trying to take matters into his own hands.

Officers responded about 10:35 p.m. to a memorial site, which commemorates Vietnam and Korean War veterans, at U.S. 231 and 145th Avenue in Leroy, according to a police report.
    The man who called 911 claimed he was driving in the area when he thought he saw a male and female vandalizing the property, police said. So the man pulled out his pistol and kept it at a "low ready" stance as he approached the individuals, the police report states.

After officers responded to the scene, a man and woman told police they were in an argument and left their house to "have a civil discussion to work things out," the report states. Police said nothing appeared to be vandalized, and the individuals denied defacing or damaging anything at the site, the report states. The two individuals said the man with the gun approached them with "his hand behind his back," and was allegedly yelling at them, the police report states. The individuals said they complied with the man and noticed he had a pistol pointing down at the ground, the report states.

The Lake County officers advised the armed man he should not impose himself into a situation unnecessarily and that he should have contacted police if he believed criminal activity had occurred, the report states. Police further advised him not to take it upon himself to pull out a weapon unjustifiably, the report states.

The man and woman advised they did not want to press any harassment or intimidation charges but wanted the incident documented.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Police further advised him not to take it upon himself to pull out a weapon unjustifiably, the report states.

I thought this was considered brandishing a firearm and is illegal...?

I went on a small fishing trip for actual Indiana code and came up with nothing though. :dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I thought this was considered brandishing a firearm and is illegal...?

I went on a small fishing trip for actual Indiana code and came up with nothing though. :dunno:

"Brandishing" is not a crime in Indiana. "Pointing" is and it appears that all parties agreed that the gun was not pointed at anyone.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    "Brandishing" is not a crime in Indiana. "Pointing" is and it appears that all parties agreed that the gun was not pointed at anyone.

That is a very subtle and careful distinction that I'm now very glad to know. :yesway:

I had always thought that if it was in your hand and you weren't on your property that it was a crime. What little searching I did on the topic reads as though that is the case in many other states. Looks like IN is on our side on this one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Brandishing is not a term used in Indiana law. Pointing a firearm is against IC.

It is unwise to pull your weapon if you are not in fear imminent serious bodily harm or death of you, yours or someone in your immediate vicinity. Be very careful defending someone in your vicinity, because women sometimes turn on their defender in deference to the man they love who is assaulting them.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Brandishing is not a term used in Indiana law. Pointing a firearm is against IC.

It is unwise to pull your weapon if you are not in fear imminent serious bodily harm or death of you, yours or someone in your immediate vicinity. Be very careful defending someone in your vicinity, because women sometimes turn on their defender in deference to the man they love who is assaulting them.

Strongly agreed, Tom. I'm thinking more of a scenario that I frequently find myself in by re-holstering when getting out of my vehicles as it's just easier to do outside of the car than it is while seated (same reason I unholster to begin with). I attempt to do this as much on the DL as possible for obvious reasons, but it's good to know it's not a crime to do so.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I only unholster at bed time I practice drawing while seared in the car.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Because...
    • I carry a 1911
    • Twice a day I practice flipping off the safety. (In a safe direction)
    • I have a Serpa holster bolted to the bed frame. (Where it spends the night)
    • My trousers spend the night fully assembled for action. (My turnouts)
    • At night I draw, unsafe, safe, and put it in the bed holster.
    • In the morning, I dress draw from the Serpa, unsafe, safe and holster in my carry holster.

II realized about 6 months ago that I had not built habituation to flip the safety off every time I draw. I do it without thinking now.

Before I get reprimanded, I do not carry in a Serpa, it is nice for a bed holster because you have to either be me or someone that knows what it is and is in a position that you can activate the release.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Because...
    • I carry a 1911
    • Twice a day I practice flipping off the safety. (In a safe direction)
    • I have a Serpa holster bolted to the bed frame. (Where it spends the night)
    • My trousers spend the night fully assembled for action. (My turnouts)
    • At night I draw, unsafe, safe, and put it in the bed holster.
    • In the morning, I dress draw from the Serpa, unsafe, safe and holster in my carry holster.

II realized about 6 months ago that I had not built habituation to flip the safety off every time I draw. I do it without thinking now.

Before I get reprimanded, I do not carry in a Serpa, it is nice for a bed holster because you have to either be me or someone that knows what it is and is in a position that you can activate the release.

I dont have turnout trousers. I just have a gun belt. It adds a shock factor to the interaction. You see a half naked dude wearing only a gun belt pop out of the shadows, thats gonna reset your OODA loop HARD, maybe even locking it up. :):

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am not a member of LT6.

I do not wear pants in bed (well pajama bottoms), the shower or on the john, aside from that, I do.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Guy was lucky. There were 2 of them and probably no cameras. If they said he pointed it at them no matter if he did or not he would be in deep dodo

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That is a very subtle and careful distinction that I'm now very glad to know. :yesway:

I had always thought that if it was in your hand and you weren't on your property that it was a crime. What little searching I did on the topic reads as though that is the case in many other states. Looks like IN is on our side on this one.

But don't forget about the "harassment and intimidation".
    Just cause you don't get hit with "pointing" doesn't necessarily mean you're in the clear.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

:yesway:

Top Bottom