• ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Here's my current scenario...

I had my tank pumped roughly 2.5 years ago, the drains stopped draining and when I finally found my tank I uncovered it, pulled the lid, and sure as **** it was about to the top, although my direct issue was a paper jam right out the drain, hitting the first wall of the tank.

Fast forward to last year, I again had slow draining, so I uncapped the tank and again, it's full to the top. Had it pumped.

I figured I have an issue. My thought is that I have a huge tree not too far from the tank. I can see my paver pathway has been starting to rise oddly, probably from a tree root... Possibly the same root that may be hurting my line from tank to field.

I dumped some copper sulfate in from Zep, Root Killer 2 weeks ago. It says it's going to temporarily stop the bacteria.

I look today and the grass right atop my tank is all dead. Which is fine, I figured this might normal? Maybe gases escaping the tank poisoned the grass?

Any thoughts?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Here's another thing. You can see dead grass right at those 2 pavers that are raising...
    Z7N5fGm.jpg

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Cut the tree down, kill the root, grind the stump. If it's a willow, grind said stump really deep. And Tordon will kill most stumps.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While copper sulfate will certainly kill vegetation, I've never heard of it gassing out of a solution. A septic tank works with a field system to disperse the material, if that is plugged, you are just operating a holding tank.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Well, we know 2 things.... The copper treatment killed the grass atop the tank and the grass a few feet away from a raised, tree root intruder suspected area....

Is my first train of thought to unearth what's under those pavers correct?

I'd think so... If the grass is dead then it's from tank flow, that might be where my line is compromised... Right.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Cut the tree down, kill the root, grind the stump. If it's a willow, grind said stump really deep. And Tordon will kill most stumps.

:+1:

That tree spells nothing but doom for your septic system and I've also had excellent success with tordon in the past.

To answer your question of how deep the pipe is, generally it's under the frost line so 2-4'. You can use a steel rod to poke into the ground over it to figure it out exactly. After doing my share of poopsmithing in the past, I'd call a pro and have them dig it all up, repair all of the damage, and cut all of the roots back. Then you need to murder that tree. It won't cost nearly what you think and it's well worth it to observe the poopsmithing rather than become the poopsmith.

To my surprise, when I had that exact job done (and then some... forced to connect to city sewer) and the septic guy cried like crazy because my neighbor's MUCH smaller tree MUCH further away than yours had sprouted roots all over the place in and around my septic. It had probably done the same to hers too as the tree died after we both connected. That tree was always a stupid idea...

FWIW, to do the entire city connection (about 75' of plumbing, pump and demolish the tank, etc) was about $1500. I'd guess fixing yours will be less than half that.

If you don't want to hire it out, at least hire a backhoe. Good God no way I'd consider taking to it with a shovel...

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    My guess is you have a breakdown or plug at or near those pavers and the Copper Sulfate solution is saturating in that area. Same issue at your tank. Looks like you may have to do some digging to find the problem. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    If your septic does not have pump out holes, chances are you have a drywell and not a field system. Have the drywell pumped and add some field system to it. Also stop flushing stuff that should not be flushed. A good septic relies on bacteria. Do you know what lies beyond your septic?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Soooo I think I have a field... And the reason being is when digging these fence post beyond the tree, we found a big piece of pvc pipe... That's gotta be my field
    4nOvj9g.jpg

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    If your septic does not have pump out holes, chances are you have a drywell and not a field system. Have the drywell pumped and add some field system to it. Also stop flushing stuff that should not be flushed. A good septic relies on bacteria. Do you know what lies beyond your septic?

Drinking water.... Well for us is bathing water. Lol. We won't drink well water.

And hey, if this stuff helped me find the bad spot in the line I'm happy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know it's bad stuff, but I'd hate to dig up everything for one little issue.

I'm going to start by digging up what's under those pavers.

Is there not products available that will re-introduce the needed bacteria to the tank when you complete the repairs...???

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Is there not products available that will re-introduce the needed bacteria to the tank when you complete the repairs...???

Yes: Poop.

Some people swear by stuff like Rid-X anyhow though. It's a waste of money IMO. Try to get a giant vat of poop to not be a bacteria mine.

Also... OP's signature line is about to not age too well. :laugh:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Yes, I put zeps version of rid-x in once a month to help promote bacteria. My tank breaks down well from what I can tell... But draining... Not so much.

Top Bottom