• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    Who has the Wilford Brimley disease? I apparently got my official diagnoses last night at hitting a mystery 610 on the meter..

Anyone want to run me through needle vs pump? And all the gizmos and gadgets? It seems diabetes tech has really advanced beyond what I knew in high school.
    774eef1d5f4ae93f4d87068065b05e5e.jpg

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    If you can exercise and cut out the sugar cut down on the carbs you may just need a pill. See what your Doctor has to say.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    Lol less fat, I'm down to 185 from 220, cut our alot of sugar from my diet, mainly drinking water with sugarless water enhancers, Service dog has me exercising regularly now(his idea of a walk seems longer and longer)..

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My wife has been a type 1(body makes no insulin) since she was 10. She's on an insulin pump and a CGM (continuous glucose monitor). Life is way better than with the needle multiple times a day.

A type 2 ( body is resistant to insulin) is usually caused by lifestyle. The good news is it CAN be reversed. Loose weight and cut the carbs. My dad lost over 180 lbs a few years ago. He was a type 2. He is no longer on any blood sugar control meds.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't, but my my doctor says I look like someone who should.

:):

It seems diabetes tech has really advanced beyond what I knew in high school.
    Let me tell you...

I did some software testing on that stuff. The company was always pushing a new meter or pump through the pipeline. Selling strips is big money.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I got the Big "D" convo a year ago. Stopped all sugar and processed carbs that same day. Year later and no sugar/processed carbs have passed my lips, lost 80 lbs...among a bunch of other health benefits my A1C maintains below 3 now...when I do check my blood its never over 115 (after eating). Took Metformin for the first 6 months but haven't since. Type 2 is all about what YOU want to commit to. If you want to kick it you can...if you want to sit around and continue to eat whatever...well its your short life.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I got the Big "D" convo a year ago. Stopped all sugar and processed carbs that same day. Year later and no sugar/processed carbs have passed my lips, lost 80 lbs...among a bunch of other health benefits my A1C maintains below 3 now...when I do check my blood its never over 115 (after eating). Took Metformin for the first 6 months but haven't since. Type 2 is all about what YOU want to commit to. If you want to kick it you can...if you want to sit around and continue to eat whatever...well its your short life.

Thats great for you but it is not really very accurate for everyone. 7 years ago in my early 50's I went from a fit 195 to stringbean 168 in 3 months, when tested my A1C was 13.8. I ate a pretty balanced diet and worked out regularly. No drinking or smoking. Went on insulin for a few weeks and then Metformin as I revised my diet and got rid of fruit juices and sugary drinks. Weight is back to 185 with very little body fat. Last year my level began to creep up and doc added Januvia. Everyones body is different, I found that going back 3 generations all the men in my family developed it in their middle age.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Thats great for you but it is not really very accurate for everyone. 7 years ago in my early 50's I went from a fit 195 to stringbean 168 in 3 months, when tested my A1C was 13.8. I ate a pretty balanced diet and worked out regularly. No drinking or smoking. Went on insulin for a few weeks and then Metformin as I revised my diet and got rid of fruit juices and sugary drinks. Weight is back to 185 with very little body fat. Last year my level began to creep up and doc added Januvia. Everyones body is different, I found that going back 3 generations all the men in my family developed it in their middle age.

Blood sugar is a result of 2 things...sugar in (in the form of sugar (true sugar, sweets, fruit, etc.) or processed carbs (flour, wheat, starch, etc. converted to sugar) and your livers ability to deal with the sugar. The person has 100% control over the amount of sugar entering your body. If your liver stops doing its job completely then I agree with you the challenge can be insurmountable through diet alone, but I would guess for many if not most they can control it by fixing their diet. As noted earlier...lifestyle is the typical reason people get Type 2 (as you note genetics does play its part). There are always 1 offs (genetics, medical conditions, etc.)...but my point was for most fixing your diet (the more you get sugar out of the diet the better to address it) , get off the couch, etc. I appreciate your challenges and your right in that a persons "path" to help is not the same for all but a "balanced" diet doesn't mean you cut out sugar in all forms...if you still are taking it in (regardless of form) then you are working against your body. No arguments...medical issues are very personal and what works for 1 doesn't work for all. I simply wanted to give a new "D" person some hope that through diet and exercise there is light at the end of the tunnel and perhaps a way to beat it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's more expensive than it should be. Always follow the money

If that ain't the freaking truth. In my wife's case, the CGM sensors that last 7 days have a price tag of $130. Each. The insulin pump is over $5,000. (I think it was closer to $6,500 but I'm not sure) Test strips can be $1.00 each. Hers are about 30¢ apeice. Insulin is a couple hundred dollars a bottle. We still spend a fortune on supplies each year, even with a good insurance plan. But it's worth it.

If you are type 2, spend the extra on good quality food and a gym membership and you'll be way ahead money wise. And much healthier.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have been in the D club since 2003
    The advice above about diet and exercise is spot on.
    Low carb diets work the best for me.
    A few years ago I woke up and weighed 320+. I decided to get serious about getting the weight off.
    I got rid of 90 pounds in about a year and I've kept most of it off.
    One thing that most endocrinologists forget to tell you is that a side effect of most of the meds is weight gain.
    Good luck

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have been in the D club since 2003
    The advice above about diet and exercise is spot on.
    Low carb diets work the best for me.
    A few years ago I woke up and weighed 320+. I decided to get serious about getting the weight off.
    I got rid of 90 pounds in about a year and I've kept most of it off.
    One thing that most endocrinologists forget to tell you is that a side effect of most of the meds is weight gain.
    Good luck
    How screwed up is that? They want you to lose weight and change your diet to lose weight, and then prescribe meds that make you gain weight?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    How screwed up is that? They want you to lose weight and change your diet to lose weight, and then prescribe meds that make you gain weight?

Yep. The vast majority of drugs treat the symptoms, not the root cause.

Always follow the [STRIKE] monkey [/STRIKE] money!

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I am type 2. 6 years now. I stopped adult beverages and pie etc. No milk juice pop Gatorade just water and :coffee: but that is just enhanced water.
    Metformin and diet has kept me in check. A-1C averages 6.5 and I run about 110 to 130 on the meter. Anything below 110 and I am in the tank. 130 and I feel good.
    Tried a Keto-ish diet and it was not good for me. Drb as much as said step it back up.

jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I was diagnosed about 10 years ago as Type 2. I had a horrible diet at the time and have made most of the improvements listed already. My A1C is usually around 6 or slightly less. I’ve dropped about 80 lbs and still trying to loose more. One thing about type 2 is that it seems to take more effort to loose the weight as your body has a higher energy balance. Like CM I have to keep some carbs on n the diet. Try for more fiber in place of processed and easily digested carbs.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've been type 2 for about four years. Fasting glucose ranges between 130-160. Eating-whatever-I-want glucose ranges from 220-350. Right now I'm on Metformin and Glipizide, but eventually I may have to have the needles and pumps conversation too.

Fat. If I weren't, it would be a non-issue.

Top Bottom