• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone know what the fine is for this?

Is it with "no teeth" like the ($25 I think?) seat belt and child seat fines?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Michigan has been this way for several years. Next to zero enforcement. Heck. It's been that way in a commercial vehicle for about 6 years now. Instill see drivers with the phone to their ear on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong. Phones are a huge problem. It should be totally hands free. But a law isn't going to stop anything.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The only problem with the whole hands free debate is that it really doesn't help a lot. Drivers have been doing things with their hands since the automobile was invented.

Advancing timing, shifting gears, rolling windows down and up, adjusting HVAC controls, changing radio stations, eating.

Sure those are a distraction, but most can be done with very little thought.

Holding a meaningful conversation? Not so much. It's not the act having the phone in your hand or not. It is diverting your attention from driving that is bad.

I travel for business, but hands free or not, I limit my talking on the phone substantially.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The only problem with the whole hands free debate is that it really doesn't help a lot. Drivers have been doing things with their hands since the automobile was invented.

Advancing timing, shifting gears, rolling windows down and up, adjusting HVAC controls, changing radio stations, eating.

Sure those are a distraction, but most can be done with very little thought.

Holding a meaningful conversation? Not so much. It's not the act having the phone in your hand or not. It is diverting your attention from driving that is bad.

I travel for business, but hands free or not, I limit my talking on the phone substantially.

THIS^^^^. And it's not the diverting attention from the road, it is your brain reaching its processing limitations. You can be looking straight ahead at all times. Try a little field experiment. If you know a twisty bit of road that is a technical bit of driving, take a friend or the wife through it at a fair clip and try to keep up a real conversation, that requires thought about what you're saying next, at the same time. Either your conversation will drift to a halt as the driving gets technical or we'll send the tow truck

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    So let me ask this. Is there a law prohibiting pets(dogs) in the drivers lap as in between the driver and the steering wheel? It seem like this is not only a danger to driving but to the animal as well.
    If not, why?
    As for the cell phone issue, as others have said, you can't do both: talk and drive. Good luck with the new law though. People nowadays can't even leave the phone alone when you are having a face to face conversation. It won't truly solve the issue since some/most/all will go bluetooth and so you are still stuck with someone distracted by a conversation instead of paying attention to driving.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They need to just quit trying to tell people what to do and at the same time hold them accountable...

$5000 fine for proven distracted driving. Driver's license is suspended until fine is paid.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    This fact sheet says that it would be a Class C infraction. This web site says that a Class C infraction:

. . . is a type of misdemeanor offense. This is the lowest level of criminal charges that a person can face in the state. A person charged with such an infraction has likely committed a minor crime or traffic violation.
    The maximum jail time for a person convicted of a class C infraction in Indiana is 60 days. A person could also face fines of up to $500.

I wonder if it's still OK to put on makeup or read while driving?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    They need to just quit trying to tell people what to do and at the same time hold them accountable...

$5000 fine for proven distracted driving. Driver's license is suspended until fine is paid.

Strongly agreed. Punish those that screw it up. That's generally how everything else is handled or at least should be.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have been using bluetooth for the past 15 years. I added it to cars that didn't have it because I felt it was safer. My Trailblazer that I currently drive didn't have bluetooth in it. I have added a new stereo that includes CarPlay & Android Auto, so I can have hands free calling/answering. I don't even have to press a button to answer the phone in the Trailblazer.

When I had an office in Detroit, I had a conference call scheduled for mid afternoon. Due to me not leaving for Detroit till almost noon, I was on the road when this call was supposed to happen. As a result, even though I had a bluetooth speaker in the car, I pulled over to the side of the county highway I was on in Ohio, and took the call there. I had hoped to be further along and being able to stop in a town, but I wasn't close to the next town.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana

haha you think suspending their license would teach them. They would just continue to drive without their license. I was so naive as well thinking all people driving had a license; live PD opened my eyes

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    haha you think suspending their license would teach them. They would just continue to drive without their license. I was so naive as well thinking all people driving had a license; live PD opened my eyes

Seriously peoples. (not aimed at you just using your post as a springboard) How many drivers in the pack you are running at speed with in the interstates have "All" of their credentials in order. You might be surprised at how low that number might be.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm all for people receiving the same fine I would have gotten when I had my CDL. $2750.00 fine, plus I'd like to see a 500.00 escalator fine for each subsequent fine, along mandatory house arrest after multiple violations.

I haven't held a phone in my hand while driving a commercial vehicle or my passenger vehicle since 2012. I use either a Bluetooth headset, or enabled through my car audio.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm all for people receiving the same fine I would have gotten when I had my CDL. $2750.00 fine, plus I'd like to see a 500.00 escalator fine for each subsequent fine, along mandatory house arrest after multiple violations.

I haven't held a phone in my hand while driving a commercial vehicle or my passenger vehicle since 2012. I use either a Bluetooth headset, or enabled through my car audio.

I might read a short text if it pops up but my phone is set to Blond. Means I will not get a call or text once my rig starts rolling.

Top Bottom