• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So I've been taking Celecoxib (generic for Celebrex) for the past several years. In that time, due to extensive and lengthy travels I ran out on several occasions. When that happens I know that I have about 24 hours from the time I first miss my dose until my shoulder starts to make my life miserable, this has been extremely consistent. Last week I called into Meijer for a refill and when my wife brought it home the capsules are yellow with black lettering instead of the all white I've gotten from day 1. Having been in a similar situation several times years ago with my thyroid medication I had a bad feeling.

Sure enough, while on vacation last week these new capsules came into rotation and I may as well not be taking anything. I googled to make sure they didn't give me the wrong medication but these are supposed to be Celecoxib. I can't do a month of this waiting on a refill to roll around.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Do I have any options to return these and get the white capsules?

-Sidenote - As heavily regulated and tested as medications are, how is this allowed to occur by the FDA? How can 200mg of Celecoxib not be 200mg of Celecoxib?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So I've been taking Celecoxib (generic for Celebrex) for the past several years. In that time, due to extensive and lengthy travels I ran out on several occasions. When that happens I know that I have about 24 hours from the time I first miss my dose until my shoulder starts to make my life miserable, this has been extremely consistent. Last week I called into Meijer for a refill and when my wife brought it home the capsules are yellow with black lettering instead of the all white I've gotten from day 1. Having been in a similar situation several times years ago with my thyroid medication I had a bad feeling.

Sure enough, while on vacation last week these new capsules came into rotation and I may as well not be taking anything. I googled to make sure they didn't give me the wrong medication but these are supposed to be Celecoxib. I can't do a month of this waiting on a refill to roll around.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Do I have any options to return these and get the white capsules?

-Sidenote - As heavily regulated and tested as medications are, how is this allowed to occur by the FDA? How can 200mg of Celecoxib not be 200mg of Celecoxib?

Different manufacturer would be my guess. Go to drugs.com and use the pill identifier to make sure it is Celecoxib. My generic Celebrex are blue, but they've been other things.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    where's mbills when you need him?

I think they have to be 70% the same or something like that. as suggested I'd make sure they didn't give you estrogen or something by mistake

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I did verify that these are supposed to be the same medication and strength. I'm not believing that these have even 70% as much of the same strength.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Happened with my BP med. Changed supplier and the pill went from brown to white. White ones gave me a raging headache. The pharmacy was good, they specified the older brand. Year later they stopped getting the old brand, it is green now, fortunately they work.

Don

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I also gets my meds at Meijer. I too get to play what meds did I get guessing game. The extra nipple that I am growing is not too bad :dunno:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A day doesn't go by that I'm not thankful that I don't have to take any regular meds. Just keeping up with the changes looks confusing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. My son's ADHD meds. Same chemicals, different looking pills. Still work for him.

Meijer pharmacist warned us. We took the last of their stock and they filled the balance of the script with the other brand/style/whatever.

I'd still call your doctor and talk to them about it just in case.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    The wife is a pharmacist...she says different manufacturer but should have same content. You might see if your prescriber has some samples that could get you through to the end of the month or else just pay out of pocket for a new script.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd follow up with the pharmacy and see if they can replace the balance of the prescription with the previous generic manufacturer you were getting. If not you may want to see about calling a different pharmacy or your doc as others have stated.

As others have said, various generics can look different and have different "inert" ingredients, but obviously something else is going on with the batch you received.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Remember way back before riots were in vogue? Yep, way back in the Coronavirus gonna kill us all era and we shut down the whole world? Folks here were telling us about the coming shortages, that is the likely suspect. One of the most common BP meds is out and even many of the subs are in short supply too. It mostly comes fron China. Sorry this does not help your situation but it does explain what you are up against...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Went into Meijer today and it went pretty much as I'd expected.

First person: "I need you to go down there and talk to them"

Second person: Dumb look on their face as if I'm speaking Latin, "Uhhh, hang on", goes to talk to someone else before coming back "Uh, yeah it's probably just a different manufacturer".

Me: Yes, I already mentioned that. These are not working, I might be seeing somewhere between 25%-50% effectiveness and I'd like to know if I can get the kind I used to receive, I even brought a photo of one of the capsules along to make things easier".

Second person: "Uh, you can come back tomorrow and talk to the pharmacy manager"

I'll be switching back over to CVS or Walgreens I guess. I've had enough of the Meijer Pharmacy.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Went into Meijer today and it went pretty much as I'd expected.

First person: "I need you to go down there and talk to them"

Second person: Dumb look on their face as if I'm speaking Latin, "Uhhh, hang on", goes to talk to someone else before coming back "Uh, yeah it's probably just a different manufacturer".

Me: Yes, I already mentioned that. These are not working, I might be seeing somewhere between 25%-50% effectiveness and I'd like to know if I can get the kind I used to receive, I even brought a photo of one of the capsules along to make things easier".

Second person: "Uh, you can come back tomorrow and talk to the pharmacy manager"

I'll be switching back over to CVS or Walgreens I guess. I've had enough of the Meijer Pharmacy.

Yep, I'll say for all the folks who have said Walgreens is more expensive etc (the maintenance prescriptions we have are all luckily super low cost) , I stay with them because I have yet to have an issue of any real concern and they have been able to answer questions, etc.

Top Bottom