d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Haven't worn one from day 1 and don't intend to either, regardless of what laws or mandates are in place

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Tomorrow will be the first time I'll put on a mask for the entire duration of this deal and that's only because I have a mandatory doctor's appointment and THEY require me to do so. Otherwise I've just been keeping to myself and keeping my distance, i.e., business as usual.

It's also going to be humid as all hell and in the mid-90s later this week. That's not exactly flu season...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont wear one typically, but I do keep one nearby.
    I will comply when appropriate.
    Shopping where I can social distance? No.
    Getting my hair cut when I just CANT social distance? Yes.
    When asked politely by someone who prefers I do? Yes. (like my church secretary who's immune system is suppressed by drugs post transplant)

FORCED to by a store? Nope. I shop elsewhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tomorrow will be the first time I'll put on a mask for the entire duration of this deal and that's only because I have a mandatory doctor's appointment and THEY require me to do so. Otherwise I've just been keeping to myself and keeping my distance, i.e., business as usual.

It's also going to be humid as all hell and in the mid-90s later this week. That's not exactly flu season...

But according to the MSM and the CDC we are in another pandemic......:runaway:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Here's a bit of the gray man theory applied to this: If your goal is to blend in and not be one on who draws undue attention from others, then it might be good to check the local baseline to see what other people are doing. Wear a mask in areas where the majority are wearing masks, and not wear a mask in areas where few are wearing masks.

It goes without saying if you have reason to be extremely concerned about your health or the health of a loved one, then forget what the crowd and do what you think is right.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    But according to the MSM and the CDC we are in another pandemic......:runaway:

Indeed we are: Stupidity.

Life is going to kill all of us no matter how many masks we wear and Covid-19 has a world wide mortality rate of 5% if you take the data as presented. Out of the world population, you have 0.007% chance of dying from it.

You have a 0.03% chance of being struck by lightening over the course of your lifetime.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Life is going to kill all of us no matter how many masks we wear and Covid-19 has a world wide mortality rate of 5% if you take the data as presented. Out of the world population, you have 0.007% chance of dying from it.

You have a 0.03% chance of being struck by lightening over the course of your lifetime.

Annual fatality for lightning strikes is ~6,000 .... globally.

Now tell me again how COVID-19 is less of a concern than lightning?

tenor.gif

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Annual fatality for lightning strikes is ~6,000 .... globally.

Now tell me again how COVID-19 is less of a concern than lightning?

Good point. I looked up your chances of being struck by lightening, not dying from it.

To be fair, I'd have to compare it to infection rates to strikes.

You have a 0.14% chance of catching Covid vs. 0.03% chance of being struck by lightening.

Your correction is gladly accepted, but I feel like the overall point remains. Attempting to shut down the entire planet for what is looking more and more looking like a full calendar year based on those odds is just straight up stupid, IMO. The argument exists on the other side that we'll never know how bad it would be if we hadn't taken precautions, but reality has been orders of magnitude different from the projections we were (and are) told, which is CM's point about the MSM.

So, bring on the virus and death or bring on the normal again. One or the other suits me fine.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I wear one in public because I don't have time to play odds with "it can't happen to me" types of people. Don't wear one if you don't want to, but my sympathies run low with solidly preventable illnesses.

Reactions: JNG

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Thats a VERY old mortality rate. I saw it was recently updated to well below 2%. 5% Was based only on the % of people who died that we KNEW were infected. Once we started testing others and finding asymptomatic folks it was MUCH more widespread and therefore the mortality rate dropped.

But if you take out everyone over 65 who died, it dropped to 0.0006%. So if you are not old, you dont have as much to worry about. (or otherwise have comorbidity factors)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom