• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I need a pickup truck. Small to mid size. Top requirements are fuel efficiency (yes, I know it's a pickup truck, relatively good mileage) and reliability. It will not haul a lot, just needed for the cargo space.

I'll be shopping the used market (not new).

I was thinking Toyota Tacoma.

Thanks in advance.

And.....GO!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Yeah, mileage is gonna be about the same compact or full-size.
    You'll pay through the nose for a Taco, even a rusty one.

Get a used full-size. You'll have to put a ton of miles on it to make up for the difference in price.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Take a HARD look at Nissan Frontier. Just got a 4X4 and its awesome, bullet proof.

I needed an extra vehicle, picked up a Nissan Frontier 4x4, 6 cylinder, 4 door cab, long bed. It's a configuration that is very difficult to find. LOVE IT. For an extra vehicle its more than proven itself. However the fuel economy is not very good. I looked at the Toyota Tacoma too, could not justify the high price premium. The Nissan Frontier seems to be the great value choice on the market. Not the same flash as the Taco or the new Ranger, but if you need a truck to be a truck the Nissan is a nice compact truck.

All compacts have their limits, don't ask them to be full size trucks, haul full size trailers, etc. But within their limits the Nissan deserves a very strong look.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tacoma would probably be the best choice for overall...everything.

If you don't want a full size truck, don't buy one. It's nicer to have something that fits in most, if not all garages, quicker to clean, and fits in tighter parking spaces.:)

Another often overlooked (but highly rated) smaller model is a Honda Ridgeline. You have to get past the fact that it's a Honda, but you are man enough I can tell from your posts that you wouldn't worry about what other's think.:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Saw a "Million Mile"...well literally, a million miles, Frontier at the Chicago Auto Show. Obviously well maintained, but original and non-rebuilt engine and trans.

My Silverado only has 193,000 miles.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I dont know a ton about trucks, but my wife has a GMC Canyon with 2.8 duramax, and it got 30MPG. The only reason we sold it is we had another kid that put one of us in "minivan" territory, and it wasn't going to be me.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Have had since new four Datsun/Nissan pick-ups and now driving since new a 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab. The Toyota has only cost me oil/lube/wiper blades going into the 6th year (Toyota covers oil changes first 24 months), none of my Datsun/Nissans were this reliable. The jury is still out on the polymer bed used on Toyota in 2015. Best mileage on the 4 cyl is 22 mpg mostly hwy and most of the 6 cyl drivers tell me they get close to the same, feel like I made error in that regard.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tundra

Cheaper than a Tacoma and a better truck IMO.

Tundra is bigger. Tundra is more robust. Tundra has greater towing capacity. But if you define "better as in quality", they are going to be about the same. Toyota puts the same effort into quality for both trucks.

If you mean better for you, then so be it, you are right.:)

But unless you are talking about used the Tacoma is quite a bit less money.

Base Tacoma=$26,050
    Base Tundra=$33,575

We make a lot of parts for Toyota, the Tundra and Tacoma in particular since we have a plant in Texas.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Honda Ridgeline. I'm on my second one. Don't need to haul much but do occasionally. Has a usable back seat and can haul stuff in there.
    Has an in bed trunk for hauling other stuff or hiding stuff. Swing down and swing out rear door.

Rides like an SUV because it is an SUV with a bed, unibody construction.

I get @ 25mpg on the highway +/- depending on speed, wind, A/C usage. Fulltime AWD (variable torque management). Surprises me with how well it can crawl out of stuff. I think it's better than 4wd and I've had 3 other 4wd trucks, Ford, Toyota and Nissan. If you need to go hauling through fields and what not I'd get the Toyota, but for 98% on road driving hard to beat the Honda if you aren't hauling stuff all the time.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I had good luck with my '16 Nissan 4x4 Frontier, but I hated the gas mileage; 15/16 around town, 18/19 Highway, but I drive .... in a sporty fashion. I replaced it with a Subaru Forester. If you don't need to haul heavy stuff, the Forester actually hauls a huge amount of stuff with the rear seats down. I haul heavy paper with it, and have had maybe 800 pounds in it and still felt comfortable. The Nissan would haul more, by weight, but not necessarily by bulk, and the Forester is in all ways a much more refined vehicle. Better comfort, all the latest electronics, 30 mpg, decent radio, etc...

I know you said truck, but the Suby checks all the same boxes for me, and I've had small pickups since 1988.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    After suffering through a Dodge Dakota for far too long and wasting far to much $$ keeping it on the road, having a Tacoma is a true joy. The quality of engineering is outstanding. Other than having a smaller bed, the Taco beats the Dak every which way. It's coming up on 60k and is still basically good as new. Zero complaints so far.
    Oh, and I'm including a shameless plug for O'Brien--I've dealt with several different dealerships over the years, and they are the first ones to actually earn my trust.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Honda Ridgeline. I'm on my second one. Don't need to haul much but do occasionally. Has a usable back seat and can haul stuff in there.
    Has an in bed trunk for hauling other stuff or hiding stuff. Swing down and swing out rear door.

Rides like an SUV because it is an SUV with a bed, unibody construction.

I get @ 25mpg on the highway +/- depending on speed, wind, A/C usage. Fulltime AWD (variable torque management). Surprises me with how well it can crawl out of stuff. I think it's better than 4wd and I've had 3 other 4wd trucks, Ford, Toyota and Nissan. If you need to go hauling through fields and what not I'd get the Toyota, but for 98% on road driving hard to beat the Honda if you aren't hauling stuff all the time.

:+1:

In the market for a midsize? If you are over 5'10" tall, go drive a Tacoma or a Frontier, then drive a Ridgeline. The answer will be obvious. The Ridgeline is SO much more comfortable and useful than other midsize pickups. The only reason that I would choose any other midsize pickup over a Ridgeline would be if I need to tow heavy loads frequently (although the Ridgeline specs well against the midsize competition), or if I did regular off-roading. And in that case, I'd go ahead and move up to a full size.

The dual action tailgate and in-bed trunk of the Honda are ingenious. Don't let anyone tell you that iTs nOt a rEaL tRucK because it's a unibody design. A truck is as a truck does, and the Ridgeline does what 90% of people need a midsize truck to do.

I've got a 2019 Ridgeline Sport and I absolutely love it. I can't see myself ever buying anything else for my pickup truck needs.

rl.png

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.

FWIW I did look at a Subaru Outback but it won't quite work for what I need.

Honestly I have not considered the Ridgeline. I did look at the Avalanche and immediately said no. I may have to revisit that idea and look at a Ridgeline.

You're right gregkl, I don't lose sleep about what others may judge me as. That was a great compliment.....insult.....complisult. :): :): :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.

FWIW I did look at a Subaru Outback but it won't quite work for what I need.

Honestly I have not considered the Ridgeline. I did look at the Avalanche and immediately said no. I may have to revisit that idea and look at a Ridgeline.

You're right gregkl, I don't lose sleep about what others may judge me as. That was a great compliment.....insult.....complisult. :): :): :):

Compliment of course!

The Ridgeline is often overlooked but tends to get good reviews from leading automotive publications. When I get closer to buying, I'll test drive one.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Ridgeline = a mini van with a bed only driven by gun instructors with British accents!

My Tundra comment is on the older ones for some strange reason as they get older the Tacoma seems to be worth more due to cult following the “quality” would be similar. The Tundra can do everything the Tacoma can do only better plus V8 power with decent MPG.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ford or Chevy. 3/4 ton long 8' bed. Cab and a half. I can't even look at a Ram since Flippin Fiat bought 'em. If an 8' sheet of plywood will not lay flat in the bed, it is NOT, I repeat, NOT a truck. All the other stuff is just glorified grocery getters.

Honda will NEVER build a real pickup. Reminds me of that diesel Rabbit pickup that VW made for a while. Japanese iteration of a Legendary American concept.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom