• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I'm not sure what that hint is, but is the typo for "complain" or something about comparing lines? :) Friendly question, as I really don't know how to understand it.

But, sure, if you include the parts where he basically calls BLM Satan, then there are allegories to Biblical references. He doesn't quote any chapter or verse, let alone cite it. Which, if you look at his other blog entries, he usually does.

No biggie, though. I'm sure there are plenty of people, including parishioners, who agree with his sentiments exactly how they were expressed.

Sorry for the vague hint. Compline is the last major hour (evening prayer) of the Divine Office. It always includes 1 Peter 5:8-9, "Brothers: Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour. Whom resist ye, strong in faith." Father Rothrock said, "[H]e is prowling like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, strong in your faith." The only differences are in translation. I quoted from DR because that's what my favorite source of the Divine Office uses, but if you look for more modern translations, you'll see that Fr. R. sentence above is a direct quote from 1 Peter 5.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry for the vague hint. Compline is the last major hour (evening prayer) of the Divine Office. It always includes 1 Peter 5:8-9, "Brothers: Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour. Whom resist ye, strong in faith." Father Rothrock said, "[H]e is prowling like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, strong in your faith." The only differences are in translation. I quoted from DR because that's what my favorite source of the Divine Office uses, but if you look for more modern translations, you'll see that Fr. R. sentence above is a direct quote from 1 Peter 5.

Whew - need more coffee this morning. :) Totally thought the compline was a typo.

That speaks to an editorial problem with his entire post. It was like an email he was sending to people that he already knew their position on, NOT something made public on the internet forever.

He referenced non-Christian and non-Catholic things more explicitly than he did the Bible. :)

Either way, if you want to pick that nit with my post (rather than his) ;) that's fine. I concede that he implicitly referenced Biblical passages to make a point that was inconsistent with Catholic teachings on the matter. ;)

The frustrating part is that with some different editorial choices, he could've easily brought it in line. IMHO, the real problem was lumping the entirety of the BLM social justice movement in with anarchists and opportunists.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Since this thread got to Part 2 before any of the other religion threads, does that mean Christianity has won the Religion competition, and can be considered the right one

I think this might be an official-enough metric to solve all religion-based disputes in the world.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Whew - need more coffee this morning. :) Totally thought the compline was a typo.

That speaks to an editorial problem with his entire post. It was like an email he was sending to people that he already knew their position on, NOT something made public on the internet forever.

He referenced non-Christian and non-Catholic things more explicitly than he did the Bible. :)

Either way, if you want to pick that nit with my post (rather than his) ;) that's fine. I concede that he implicitly referenced Biblical passages to make a point that was inconsistent with Catholic teachings on the matter. ;)

The frustrating part is that with some different editorial choices, he could've easily brought it in line. IMHO, the real problem was lumping the entirety of the BLM social justice movement in with anarchists and opportunists.

What teaching did his message contradict?

What follows is not central to the discussion, and can be bypassed completely, but it may give a glimpse of my perspective. My apologies if I appeared to nitpick; it was not my intent. The Scriptural component was one of three chief criticisms you had on his message, the other two being that his message was not good and that it did not contain much Catholic content. I thought that if the Scriptural criticism was important for you to write about, it was important enough for me to address. Additionally, I was hoping that if you saw that one of your main objections was not factual, it might (a) gently prick your conscience to be more charitable toward Fr. R. at what is probably the most difficult time of his life, and (b) make you reconsider the condemnation of his message on the remaining two components. As to why I didn't give equal scrutiny to his message, it's mostly because I believe he is the victim in this case. An editorial problem does not warrant his removal; therefore, rallying in his defense is more important to me at this time than considering what he could have done better. There doesn't appear to be a shortage of critics nationally anyway. And finally, he's not here to interact with me. What you can count on though is that if your role and his were reversed, not only would I take your side, but I would do so much more fervently because I know you personally. I did not add this paragraph for discussion, but in hopes of explaining that I wasn't trying to be a jerk. If you think I was taking cheap shots, again, my apologies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What teaching did his message contradict?

What follows is not central to the discussion, and can be bypassed completely, but it may give a glimpse of my perspective. My apologies if I appeared to nitpick; it was not my intent. The Scriptural component was one of three chief criticisms you had on his message, the other two being that his message was not good and that it did not contain much Catholic content. I thought that if the Scriptural criticism was important for you to write about, it was important enough for me to address. Additionally, I was hoping that if you saw that one of your main objections was not factual, it might (a) gently prick your conscience to be more charitable toward Fr. R. at what is probably the most difficult time of his life,

Well, having interacted with Fr. R, and knowing his personal history, this isn't the most difficult time of his life, but a rerun of a previous incident of bad judgement with different causes.

My thoughts were expressed after an examination of conscience. ;) His pride led the way to this destination.

and (b) make you reconsider the condemnation of his message on the remaining two components. As to why I didn't give equal scrutiny to his message, it's mostly because I believe he is the victim in this case.

Ah, interesting. A victim of what - this was his own doing?

An editorial problem does not warrant his removal; therefore, rallying in his defense is more important to me at this time than considering what he could have done better.

So, the bishop victimized Fr. R? An "editorial" problem by a parish pastor IS a big deal. This is more than just malapropism. For all his failings, he is VERY articulate. He said exactly what he thought, in the manner he thought it.

Have you interacted with Fr. R or attended his sermons? (Some are available online.) He likes being edgy. Its part of his schtick. There is a place for that - we can all be challenged in our faith. (Hence, this thread.) ;)

But his callous statement of his unvarnished truth was just wrong in scope and language, and calls to question his judgment in shepherding others in faith.

There doesn't appear to be a shortage of critics nationally anyway. And finally, he's not here to interact with me. What you can count on though is that if your role and his were reversed, not only would I take your side, but I would do so much more fervently because I know you personally. I did not add this paragraph for discussion, but in hopes of explaining that I wasn't trying to be a jerk. If you think I was taking cheap shots, again, my apologies.

hahaha

No, my friend :) Nits are there to be picked. :D

My point is that I think your reflexive defense on this specific matter might be too reflexive. That is, there is more to this narrative than the blog post.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have you interacted with Fr. R or attended his sermons? (Some are available online.) He likes being edgy. Its part of his schtick. There is a place for that - we can all be challenged in our faith. (Hence, this thread.) ;)

But his callous statement of his unvarnished truth was just wrong in scope and language, and calls to question his judgment in shepherding others in faith.

Sounds like he'd be more at home in a Fund. Baptist church.

What's his thought on the KJV?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sounds like he'd be more at home in a Fund. Baptist church.

What's his thought on the KJV?

haha

Well, I never asked him his thoughts on KJV, but he would probably change it around to ask why you think the version is important. ;) Fr. R. is very intelligent and well-studied. His vocabulary is excellent. I would not be surprised one bit if he could hold his own in a discussion of the Greek text.

But, those are not necessarily the primary skills involved with pastoral ministry. :D

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have been binging on these lately. Sorry, it has nothing to do with current events, that is unless you are looking forward to His return.
    [video=youtube;Rnkb7M3dKTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnkb7M3dKTg[/video]

My personal favorite Psalm 150, I have set it to music in English and this is what inspired me to start this search.
    [video=youtube;U_lt6RqHRFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_lt6RqHRFU[/video]

[video=youtube;--UABwqW9Sg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--UABwqW9Sg[/video]
    [video=youtube;RWM8gSSnz_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM8gSSnz_8[/video]

There is a lot more content, I prefer the ones with full subtitles.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Jewish Rock! :)

I have been binging on these lately. Sorry, it has nothing to do with current events, that is unless you are looking forward to His return.
    [video=youtube;Rnkb7M3dKTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnkb7M3dKTg[/video]

My personal favorite Psalm 150, I have set it to music in English and this is what inspired me to start this search.
    [video=youtube;U_lt6RqHRFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_lt6RqHRFU[/video]

[video=youtube;--UABwqW9Sg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--UABwqW9Sg[/video]
    [video=youtube;RWM8gSSnz_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM8gSSnz_8[/video]

There is a lot more content, I prefer the ones with full subtitles.

Top Bottom