• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    On my way back from lunch I came up on the immediate aftermath of shooting at the gas station at 46th and Arlington. Police weren't on scene yet. Victim laying face down in the parking lot with two little kids next to him crying (and a dog). The little girl was holding her hand on his back around what looked to be a blood stain. A bunch of people standing around. I was eastbound on 46th stopped at the light waiting to turn right onto Arlington.

A co-worker found the shooting on the citizen app. What's the best way to find out the public details about the incident going forward? (Victim outcome, etc)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    That's rough. I've seen a lot of blood and guts and death but in a healthcare setting. I was an EKG technician for a couple summers after high school and had to stand by during codes, watched and done surgery... but witnessing an act of violence like that, even if just the aftermath, has to be an entirely different thing.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I consider myself pretty thick skinned about most things, but those scared crying kiddo's faces will stick with me for a long time.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Wasn’t a police shooting, or an imaginary hate crime. It will be forgotten by tomorrow, very sadly. Black lives really do matter, just not to the left.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A good reminder to carry a first aid kit on you and have some basic med training. Ankle kits are cheap and easy to wear. I would like to think that most everyone here would try and stop the bleeding if we saw another person down with a gunshot wound and it was safe to render aid. Or at the very least be able to take the kids to a safe location a little bit aways from the scene so first responders could do their thing.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I was a little frozen taking in the scene while sitting at the light. Once I put it all together the light changed and I turned south away from the scene. At that point it clicked that I have a trauma kit in my truck. As I was deciding to stop and turn around or not two IMPD units flew by me heading to the scene.

I have some training with Stop The Bleed, wound packing and TQ use. My kit includes what is needed for that and 2 chest seals.

I'd like to think if I had witnessed the shooting and/or were closer or sooner to the scene I would have reacted and helped out.

A good reminder to carry a first aid kit on you and have some basic med training. Ankle kits are cheap and easy to wear. I would like to think that most everyone here would try and stop the bleeding if we saw another person down with a gunshot wound and it was safe to render aid. Or at the very least be able to take the kids to a safe location a little bit aways from the scene so first responders could do their thing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Happened right before I started my shift... but for reasons I'm sure you'll understand, I can't give out any details right now.

How about "Nothing to worry about"(known mope on known mope) or "keep your doors locked and dont get gas there"? That vague enough for you to comment? (my money is on the former)

That might be handy because I spend 8 hours a day a mile or so south of there M-F.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Not more than 2 hours ago I finally remembered to put the first aid kit I bought for my car actually in the car. It had been laying around the house for months.

Good PSA, Hans.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I've worked in that area for 13 years, normally that would be my assumption. However, based on what I saw it was not "mope on mope"

How about "Nothing to worry about"(known mope on known mope) or "keep your doors locked and dont get gas there"? That vague enough for you to comment? (my money is on the former)

That might be handy because I spend 8 hours a day a mile or so south of there M-F.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I completely understand. I am interested in any publicly available information, when ever that may come about, or at minimum some info on how to find out the victims condition. Fox59 hasn't updated the story and as of now they are the only news station that I have seen report it.

Happened right before I started my shift... but for reasons I'm sure you'll understand, I can't give out any details right now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was a little frozen taking in the scene while sitting at the light. Once I put it all together the light changed and I turned south away from the scene. At that point it clicked that I have a trauma kit in my truck. As I was deciding to stop and turn around or not two IMPD units flew by me heading to the scene.

I have some training with Stop The Bleed, wound packing and TQ use. My kit includes what is needed for that and 2 chest seals.

I'd like to think if I had witnessed the shooting and/or were closer or sooner to the scene I would have reacted and helped out.

Whatever you do, dont beat yourself up for inaction. Your reaction is totally expected. I've had similar, though less traumatic.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are used to work at 38th and Arlington, but that was going on 30 years ago. It’s safe to say the area hasn’t gotten any better in the meantime.

Top Bottom