• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    And can you walk away when you don't get down to a deal you like?

I've been doing this since I was a kid, trading toys and cards and stuff. It's not that hard. Offer/counteroffer, and when you reach the point where neither will move, shake hands and wish each other luck. Even showing you can walk away is a haggling tactic.

I watched a friend do some business today, and his haggling skills were kind of pathetic. I was actually embarassed.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Generally I prefer the way we do things nowadays where the market has already determined the price and kept margins pretty thin so there's no real need to negotiate. As such I'll freely admit my haggling skills are poor, but I have managed to hone an edge on not buying something if I don't like the end package/price in the event I am obligated to use them.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    There's haggling for something you really want...then there's haggling for something discretionary you'll buy if the price gets right.

There's a difference, IMO.

Bottom line on both is knowing YOUR top dollar and being willing to walk away.

I walked out on the purchase of a truck one time for less than $1000 difference between my top line and the dealer's bottom line; they said I could finance the difference and as a pronounced cash customer I told the salesman I didn't want to waste his time anymore, shook his hand, and left. When my wife purchased her van, she kept the sales guy and his manager in the dealership until 11pm over $500...they eventually relented. I'd have walked prior to that as I don't have time for those games, but they wanted the sale, she wanted the van, and little did they know she worked for a union in contract enforcement...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I use that, I am buying it for a third party in my family... like one of my sons, dad, sister or so on..... It makes throwing out a really low offer very easy...

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West
    I'm terrible where I usually don't even try and end up paying more (most because I don't want someone to get pissy). My dad will haggle on anything and any price.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    In a previous life, I found out that showing up with a truck, a trailer, and a pocket full of cash resulted in going home with the item on my terms.

This hobby is a little different though. There’s no need to trailer or drive the item home. The market is more defined and rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Just need to not let emotion become involved. Then it becomes pretty straight forward.

I'm a little guilty of letting emotion get involved in it, but not often. Several years ago, one of my daughters had this favorite toy ruined when the basement flooded. I probably paid 12 or 15 bucks for it at the time, when it was the newest, hottest thing. Before the basement flood, I saw a pallet of these toys on clearance for 6 bucks each. I asked her if she wanted 1 or 2 more, and she said no. I should have bought the whole f'ing pallet right there, because a couple years later, I ended up paying $43 for one on eBay. :crying:

I'm a sucker for my kids. :)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    While sometimes there's reason to haggle, most of the time it's inappropriate.

If the seller invites some horse trading, then all the more power to you. But if it's a fixed price on an item, trying to haggle is rude.
    I either pay what the item costs or I look around and find a better deal through someone else.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Generally I prefer the way we do things nowadays where the market has already determined the price and kept margins pretty thin so there's no real need to negotiate. As such I'll freely admit my haggling skills are poor, but I have managed to hone an edge on not buying something if I don't like the end package/price in the event I am obligated to use them.

The market is pretty screwy right now. On INGO, it's pretty sane, but outside of INGO, I mostly use only Armslist, and only for local deals. I mean, other than obviously reputable online suppliers.

I have seen, and possibly lost out on, so many seemingly incredible local deals on Armslist. Deals that seem very sincere on the face of it, but the prices...

I have to wonder, in the current state of the nation, am I missing out on some incredible deals, or exercising proper skepticism?

I'm not talking about ARs and Glocks and such. Those are still pretty ridiculous on Armslist. I'm talking about the less tactical, or less mainstream guns.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sometimes you haggle, sometimes you don't. Every trade is different.

Sellers and buyers are often self-educating as they go.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was in Egypt and watched a Japanese girl haggling with an old man for over fifteen minutes for LESS THAN ONE CENT!!! You would be amazed at how many people try to haggle AFTER they say they will “take it” and pull out their money.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    In appropriate situations, I do OK.

At a pawn shop, Bulldog Liquidators, etc., items are usually priced as though you are going haggle at least a bit. I won't go past making a second offer, though. If we're not there at that point, I'm walking away.

I don't ever want to beat the other person in a negotiation: win-win or don't make the deal.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I intensely dislike the apparently-required haggling with a car salesman. Last deal we did took 2 days and if the wife hadn't wanted the damned thing so badly it wouldn't have happened. Actually told the salesman on the phone he had become a nuisance and not to call back. But.........if momma ain't happy...........

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I intensely dislike the apparently-required haggling with a car salesman. Last deal we did took 2 days and if the wife hadn't wanted the damned thing so badly it wouldn't have happened. Actually told the salesman on the phone he had become a nuisance and not to call back. But.........if momma ain't happy...........

It's not required. Request a quote by email.

Tell them that you have outside financing secured but that they are welcome to send you a quote including financing. (Your own cash counts as financing, but they can sometimes beat that. I saved about $900 on my wife's car by writing a check to the finance company instead of to the dealership.)

This lets you price shop between dealerships. And it lets you identify the dealerships that are going to try to play games, because those are the ones that won't give you a written quote.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If I'm not in a South American or Turkish market the price set should be reasonable to the market value, if it's not I walk; I'm not interested in the interaction. At an auction, you need to know what the object is worth to you before the bidding starts, and walk away when it goes higher.

It's not that I can't do it, I just don't see the need. Some people like it, that's not me.

Top Bottom