• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm looking for a used truck, and cant find the right one. I'm wanting to put a 10+ foot flatbed on it. I can get a 7=9' 4" bed on a 60 inch CA, but one of the things I want to put in the bed is an ATV that measures 114 inch's from Bumper to center of rear axle. I cant find any longer beds that work on the 60 inch CA.

Requirements are

4 door
    Diesel
    84" Cab to Axle
    4x4

I would prefer not to go with a 450/550/650

Does anyone know of any 1 ton dually from any manufacturer, any year's that come with a 84" CA length?

My other thought was, could I just weld a 8 inch plate to the back of a 112" bed.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    What about buying a truck without a bed and having what you want made? Monroe truck bodies is off of Mt. Comfort road just north of I-70 and they do custom utility bodies.... I'm sure a flat bed could be made just as easily.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Alan,

Would you consider getting a car hauler trailer? That way you could pull it with any truck you desire. I've pulled my Jeep all over the country with a Sure-Trac car hauler.

https://sure-trac.com/car-hauler-trailers/

l9Ovnxr.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Alan,

Would you consider getting a car hauler trailer? That way you could pull it with any truck you desire. I've pulled my Jeep all over the country with a Sure-Trac car hauler.

https://sure-trac.com/car-hauler-trailers/

l9Ovnxr.jpg

I've got plenty of trailers that will move the ATV (We live on a farm, so I think there are 5 or 6 trailers that it will fit on). The problem becomes taking it when I have the camper. My ATV fits in the camper, but it takes up the whole thing. We do trips out west where I take the ATV, and its a pain to load, and un load every day.

In most states its not illegal to pull doubles as long as your trailer length is below a certain number, I'm just not convinced its a good idea.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What about buying a truck without a bed and having what you want made? Monroe truck bodies is off of Mt. Comfort road just north of I-70 and they do custom utility bodies.... I'm sure a flat bed could be made just as easily.

It is my understanding (not fact) that if you made a 10 foot bed,and put it on a 60 inch CA, the axles to much would be hanging out past the support's (supports being axles).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Having a 350 stretched is what I'm looking into now I only need an exra 6 inch's or so from the standard flatbed. The main concern I have is, if I buy a longer bed than is recomended due to my CA measurement, that will move my gooseneck ball back, and what does that do to my trailer ballance. Its not like Im putting a dozer on my flatbed, but I dont want to lose the ability to haul our 13k pound backhoe.

I have looked at those rack's, and I gave them serious consideration, but I would like to have a flatbed for other jobs as well. The Ford, and Dodge 450/550 trucks are not to bad as far as size, so that would be the backup plan as of now.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Only downside to 450's 550's are they ride rough without weight. Maybe build a system like alpine's but for a flatbed.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've got plenty of trailers that will move the ATV (We live on a farm, so I think there are 5 or 6 trailers that it will fit on). The problem becomes taking it when I have the camper. My ATV fits in the camper, but it takes up the whole thing. We do trips out west where I take the ATV, and its a pain to load, and un load every day.

In most states its not illegal to pull doubles as long as your trailer length is below a certain number, I'm just not convinced its a good idea.

time to upgrade the camper to a motor home that can tow a trailer....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    time to upgrade the camper to a motor home that can tow a trailer....

We looked at that option as well, but then you would have to tow a car. Right now we have a toyhauler that the ATV can fit in, and the only down side is that it takes up so much room that we cant sleep/cook in without unloading. A lot of times I just pull over at a rest area, and eat, or sleep. I dont want to unload an ATV to do that unless I have to. Right now we have the problem 90% solved, getting the right flatbed I think would make it 100% solved.

My old work truck could use an upgrade anyways, so this line of thought is trying to kill 2 birds with 1 big stone.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Not sure Im tracking on what you mean bud.

Do you mean put the ATV on the bed corner to corner? If so, it would be to wide for that, and impossible to load.

No. Put ramps at the very front of the flatbed, on the deck, to allow the ATV to be driven on just a little bit more.

Top Bottom