• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm needing some machine work done but when I send some more basic designs to places like protolab, the prices they quote is quite high it seems. Anybody know a reasonable place to get some samples machined out?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One off pieces as you describe are always salty. Programing and set up for 1 or 2 pieces is time consuming and these places have overhead.

A lot depends on what you are trying to have made.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    One off pieces as you describe are always salty. Programing and set up for 1 or 2 pieces is time consuming and these places have overhead.

Absolutely true. The actual machine run time (depending on the part), is usually pretty low compared to programming, tool set up and possible special fixturing. Most milled parts require a second or even third (unless your using a 5 axis machine) set up to complete the part. Protolab (or similar places) charge a lot or their one offs, but not they are usually not too far out of line for a prototype. IMHO

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

This.

Our shop is pretty expensive anyway since we’re an aircraft shop, but it’s usually cheaper to have more than 1 made. Fixturing, programming, and setting up is the biggest expense, if you run 1 part the entire job is basically setup.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'm needing some machine work done but when I send some more basic designs to places like protolab, the prices they quote is quite high it seems. Anybody know a reasonable place to get some samples machined out?
    Your best bet is to either find a garage shop since there’s no overhead, or to find a cheap shop that has guys that’ll do it on their own time to save some $. Old shop I used to work at the owner did tractor pulls, so he was always staying after and machining engine blocks, pistons, etc. Had a guy bring in a dirt bike once and wanted something done to it, so he did it for less money than he makes an hour normally. He loves motor sports so anything with an engine he likes machining on. He had a guy bring in a gun once and he screwed it up and bought the guy a new gun to replace it, said he’d never do anything to a gun again because of safety reasons.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your best bet is to either find a garage shop since there’s no overhead, or to find a cheap shop that has guys that’ll do it on their own time to save some $. Old shop I used to work at the owner did tractor pulls, so he was always staying after and machining engine blocks, pistons, etc. Had a guy bring in a dirt bike once and wanted something done to it, so he did it for less money than he makes an hour normally. He loves motor sports so anything with an engine he likes machining on. He had a guy bring in a gun once and he screwed it up and bought the guy a new gun to replace it, said he’d never do anything to a gun again because of safety reasons.

I just sold my mill and all the tooling. Lots of tooling.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    It costs "x" amount of $$$ to design a product. If you make 10,000 of these, cost is spread out over all. One is gonna kill you.

Top Bottom